Discussion topic: Adverts on a subscription service!?

This message was authored by Tomthecatty This message was authored by: Tomthecatty

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?

How does everybody else seem to get BBC iPlayer for free? I assume you must be watching illegally or live abroad.

This message was authored by btree+mike This message was authored by: btree+mike

Bbc iplayer is free to anyone with a tv licence which you also need to watch sky as it carries bbc programs so it could be said I pay for it but I pay no more than the licence fee to use it.

It's available to download on most smart tvs phones and pre installed on sky q apps I think..

When I set mine up on my Samsung tv it displayed a code which I had to enter on bbc website and then you have to confirm you simply a licence holder.

So nothing illegal its just free with your tv licence bit like sky go is free with sky..

A little knowledge will probably break it get someone else to sort it..
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@btree+mike "free with your TV Licence" is a bit of an oxymoron 🙂

You don't need a TV licence just because sky carries BBC channels, you can technically have sky but not require a licence

Sky support for Sky+HD and earlier systems has ended, you can still get support if you already have Sky Protect insurance otherwise you'll have to find your own 3rd party company to get support from at your own expense
This message was authored by Tomthecatty This message was authored by: Tomthecatty

I pay over £13 a month for something that's apparently free. I must be mad. 

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

@Tomthecatty do you mean the tv license which is £159 or £13.25 per month?

If not, maybe you should be querying with your bank about  bbc iPlayer charge on your account

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

You need a TV license to watch or record any TV as broadcast not just BBC content. You also need one to watch iPlayer. If you only watch downloads orvrrom other catch-up services then you dont see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/tv-licence/

The offence is watching content not having the ability to receive content.  Something that the TV licensing enforcers somewhat gloss over as it is actually something that is very difficult for them to prove unless you own up. TV detector vans being like Dragons more legendary than real.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Chrisee wrote:

TV detector vans being like Dragons more legendary than real.

I've seen more realistic dragons ; )

tvdetectorvan-uhfb.jpeg

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

@Tomthecatty wrote:

Yes, you are paying just over £13 a month for access to iPlayer. It's not free to use.

@LGUser wrote:

@Tomthecatty wrote:

Yes, you are paying just over £13 a month for access to iPlayer. It's not free to use.

Why are some posters saying they get it for free? 

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Tomthecatty wrote:

@LGUser wrote:

@Tomthecatty wrote:

Edit post deleted as mis read the point at issue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

@Tomthecatty wrote:

@LGUser wrote:

@Tomthecatty wrote:

Because they are forgetting about the license fee.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

People in the UK should be honoured to have access to BBC iPlayer. In Ireland, even though we get BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Four, CBBC and CBeebies, we don't get BBC iPlayer. When there was a global version of the BBC iPlayer, pre June 2015, Ireland still had no access to a BBC iPlayer. Yeah, a VPN would have solved this, but I'd rather not have to "jump through hoops". I'd even pay a small fee for access to an Ireland version of the BBC iPlayer.   

This message was authored by angry+bryan This message was authored by: angry+bryan

Sky did have averts before I bought it but in recent years their advertising has increased particularly when you watch catch up or box sets.  There the advertising is on every six or severn minutes which is just plain greedy on Sky's part and to this viewer makes these particular programs unwatchable.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@angry+bryan wrote:

Sky did have averts before I bought it but in recent years their advertising has increased particularly when you watch catch up or box sets.  There the advertising is on every six or severn minutes which is just plain greedy on Sky's part and to this viewer makes these particular programs unwatchable.

@angry+bryan Please provide an example of a program that has adverts every six or seven minutes 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@oj01 wrote:

@angry+bryan Please provide an example of a program that has adverts every six or seven minutes 

Pretty sure that would breach OFCOM regulations 🙂

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion