0

Discussion topic: Adverts on a subscription service!?

Reply
Reply
This message was authored by fght This message was authored by: fght

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?

you are joking of course...

This message was authored by Plektrum This message was authored by: Plektrum

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?

One thing to bear in mind is that we're seeing a lot of realities emrerging from streaming economics and advertising is at the centre of it...  HBO Max & Paramount Plus have launched an AVOD tiers, Amazon are building out their IMDB TV business, Disney have already announced an ad-supported tier to launch in the next couple of years and don't be surprised to see Netflix (who have also just put prices up with the HD plan now at 10.99) face significant market pressure to go into ads as well.. if anything you're likely to see MORE ads emerge across streaming video and likely as a result, don't be surprised if you see premium ad-free tiers become more expensive over the next few years and ad revenue driving cheaper, accessible tiers of service. 

 

Given that Sky have to carry a traditonally more expensive linear business alongside SVOD and bundling streaming services which are more indicative of their future, the current prices (with ads) are likely far more representative of how much subscription video is. 

—————————————————————————————————————————————————
Still in search of a great signature! I’ll get there one day!
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@fght wrote:

you are joking of course...


No idea who you're replying to....

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Plektrum I hadn't heard about the disney plus plan on ads.(googled it now) 

I did come across last week that netflix are trialing in Chile, Costa Rica, and Peru charging extra for when sharing passwords outside your own household. 

---------
ROI sky Q Customer


This message was authored by btree+mike This message was authored by: btree+mike

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?

Hi 

 

 I've got to admit the amount of ads are now making me consider giving up

 

been sky for 22 years but it's now lagging other offerings by a long way and whilst I realise a lot of the channels I have on the signature package @@ £26 pm are funded by ads but its becoming unwatchable

 

Cannot even escape watching  the sky branded channels.

 

Add to that that I'm limited to watching them in SD and my q box issued in 2017 does not have the ability to upgrade to uhd and to watch netflix uhd to which I currently pay 14.99 direct.

prime which I pay directly at £7.99

disney plus which I pay directly @ 7.99

apple TV @ 4.99 

BBC iplayer free itv +  free 

Roku free on Samsung tv

 

Sky glass is not an option for me as I have 3 smart TVs (two of which have a prime streaming stick  £30 one off payment) and sky glass is limited to the one device and I think requires another 2 "dongles" via subscription? and a TV I don't need.

 

Basically I get all of the above subscriptions on 3 TVs in uhd relatively add free for £36 a month I've looked but cannot work how to keep the same for sky without a £200 sky q box upgrade and a shed load of cash perhaps someone can tell me what the exact figure will be but it looks like the economics just does not add up ? I'm not a sports subscriber other than motogp which bt have..

 

It's a pity but technology just seems to overtaken sky's model it would not be so bad if it was at least free for h.d which is daylight Robery @ 4.99 given the time it's been available.

 

contracts up in June at which time I will be free to leave. The world's gone a bit nuts IMHO there's now so many providers available it's hard to know what ones are going have what you want..

 

      

A little knowledge will probably break it get someone else to sort it..
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@btree+mike wrote:

I've looked but cannot work how to keep the same for sky without a £200 sky q box upgrade


The typical upgrade fee for moving from a non-UHD 1TB to a UHD/HDR 1TB is £50.

* * * * * * *

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?


@TimmyBGood wrote:

@btree+mike wrote:

I've looked but cannot work how to keep the same for sky without a £200 sky q box upgrade


The typical upgrade fee for moving from a non-UHD 1TB to a UHD/HDR 1TB is £50.


Given that getting a v3 2TB box was £50, I see no reason to go for a 1TB box for the same cost.

This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?


@btree+mike wrote:

Hi 

 

 I've got to admit the amount of ads are now making me consider giving up


I hope you realize that moving to any other TV service such as Virgin, BT, Freeview, Freesat, etc that you'll still have adverts. This is nothing new. You cannot watch most TV channels without adverts. But what you can do is to record programs instead of watching live and you can zip past the commercials. Also, some channels do have no commercials (such as Alibi) or less commercials (such as Sky) when you download from On Demand.

 

If you do give up because fo the commercials, won't thete be programs that you'll miss watching?

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@LGUser wrote:

@btree+mike wrote:

Hi 

 

 I've got to admit the amount of ads are now making me consider giving up


Also, some channels do have no commercials (such as Alibi) or less commercials (such as Sky) when you download from On Demand.

 

 


Alibi has adverts

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Doc5907 wrote:

@LGUser wrote:

@btree+mike wrote:

Hi 

 

 I've got to admit the amount of ads are now making me consider giving up


Also, some channels do have no commercials (such as Alibi) or less commercials (such as Sky) when you download from On Demand.

 

 


Alibi has adverts


Some ad breaks on Alibi seem to be feature length too! 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?


@Doc5907 wrote:

@LGUser wrote:

@btree+mike wrote:

Hi 

 

 I've got to admit the amount of ads are now making me consider giving up


Also, some channels do have no commercials (such as Alibi) or less commercials (such as Sky) when you download from On Demand.

 

 


Alibi has adverts


Alibi does not have adverts with their On Demand content. It's just the broadcast conetent that has adverts.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?


@Tsariah wrote:

@ Sky Could yoy please tell me why i am forced to watch adds on every one of your sky channels, As I am currently paying upwards of £70 a month in subscription fees for your service where netflix, prime, disney + and even shudder and smaller subscription based services have zero adds on them. Please give a valid reason or I may consider any future payments to yourselves. 
Regards.


Adverts and your subscription fee go towards things like, paying for:

 

  • the rights to broadcast a movie or show (e.g. Sex and the City, owned by HBO)
  • SES to use their satellite(s).
  • for your equipment (e.g. Sky Q box)
  • for deals with ITV, BBC, Channel 5, RTÉ, Virgin Media Television, etc. to put catch-up services on their platforms
  • for deals with Netflix, Apple TV+, Disney+, etc.
  • for Sky Go and apps. 
  • for use of software like catch-up services on Sky+ HD/Sky Q boxes/Sky Glass.
  • installers
  • for rights to sports events.
  • the NFL when broadcasting Sky Sports NFL
  • for Sky News, HD cameras, studios, reporters, and to broadcast Sky News internationally.
  • staff at Sky HQ
  • for their help teams in UK & Ireland
  • for this forum

How much do you think this would all add up to for a single customer if adverts were removed?

 

In 2000, Sky charged £34 for all channels (worth £60.89 today).
Today, it's £79 [for Sky Signature, Sky Cinema, Sky Sports, Sky Kids (standard prices, no discounts)].

A £19 increase in 20 years really is not that bad. Remove the ads, and the subscription price would be well into the £100s.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?


@Anonymous wrote:

@Tsariah wrote:

@ Sky Could yoy please tell me why i am forced to watch adds on every one of your sky channels, As I am currently paying upwards of £70 a month in subscription fees for your service where netflix, prime, disney + and even shudder and smaller subscription based services have zero adds on them. Please give a valid reason or I may consider any future payments to yourselves. 
Regards.


Adverts and your subscription fee go towards things like, paying for:

 

  • the rights to broadcast a movie or show (e.g. Sex and the City, owned by HBO)
  • SES to use their satellite(s).
  • for your equipment (e.g. Sky Q box)
  • for deals with ITV, BBC, Channel 5, RTÉ, Virgin Media Television, etc. to put catch-up services on their platforms
  • for deals with Netflix, Apple TV+, Disney+, etc.
  • for Sky Go and apps. 
  • for use of software like catch-up services on Sky+ HD/Sky Q boxes/Sky Glass.
  • installers
  • for rights to sports events.
  • the NFL when broadcasting Sky Sports NFL
  • for Sky News, HD cameras, studios, reporters, and to broadcast Sky News internationally.
  • staff at Sky HQ
  • for their help teams in UK & Ireland
  • for this forum

How much do you think this would all add up to for a single customer if adverts were removed?

 

In 2000, Sky charged £34 for all channels (worth £60.89 today).
Today, it's £79 [for Sky Signature, Sky Cinema, Sky Sports, Sky Kids (standard prices, no discounts)].

A £19 increase in 20 years really is not that bad. Remove the ads, and the subscription price would be well into the £100s.


I would also like to add that if the adverts are such a burden, watch your shows on the catch-up service and just fast forward the adverts, or just record your shows and watch them an hour or show later and fast forward the ads.

This is what I do the the RTÉ Nine O'Clock News. I record it and watch it at about 9:15pm, fast forward the ads and the sport section. 

This message was authored by Tomthecatty This message was authored by: Tomthecatty

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?

@btree+mike 

 

Add to that that I'm limited to watching them in SD and my q box issued in 2017 does not have the ability to upgrade to uhd and to watch netflix uhd to which I currently pay 14.99 direct.

prime which I pay directly at £7.99

disney plus which I pay directly @ 7.99

apple TV @ 4.99 

BBC iplayer free itv +  free 

Roku free on Samsung tv

Could you expand on how you can legally get BBC iplayer for free? I pay over £13 a month.

 

cheers

This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

Re: Adverts on a subscription service!?


@Tomthecatty wrote:

@btree+mike 

 

Add to that that I'm limited to watching them in SD and my q box issued in 2017 does not have the ability to upgrade to uhd and to watch netflix uhd to which I currently pay 14.99 direct.

prime which I pay directly at £7.99

disney plus which I pay directly @ 7.99

apple TV @ 4.99 

BBC iplayer free itv +  free 

Roku free on Samsung tv

Could you expand on how you can legally get BBC iplayer for free? I pay over £13 a month.

 

cheers


If you cancwel Disney+ through Sky and pay for an annual (yearly) subscription direct with Disney, you play £79.99 which comes out to £6.67 a month.

 

BBC iPlayer is a free app (on Sky Q or your TV) or free on the BBC website. If your TV is a 4k UHD TV that supports HLG (HDR) then you may be able to watch some programs on iPlayer in UHD/HDR.

 

If you do want a Sky Q box that plays UHD/HDR, you will have to call Sky and find out if they have stock of the v3 boxes (I suggest the 2TB). If not, you'll have to do what I did and wait. I waited from early summer to early fall to get one.

Reply

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion