Discussion topic: Sky Talk + cordless landline phones?

This message was authored by Garten012 This message was authored by: Garten012

Sky Talk + cordless landline phones?

I'm considering switching from my current TalkTalk (FTTC) service and also want a landline. I'm more than a little confused as to what is possible/necessary in setting up with Sky Talk and the new digital phone switchover.

I have two cordless phones with a base station connected to the master socket downstairs. My router is upstairs, connected to the master socket by a long telephone cable, withe the second phone in another bedroom. Given this setup has worked well for all internet connected devices at home, is there any issue with connecting a Sky router to the phone base station with a similarly long cable? The wi-fi or phone "reception" won't be degraded if the router and base station are not sitting next to each other, without the need for a long cable connecting them?

Grateful for any advice.

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Sky Talk + cordless landline phones?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Garten012 wrote:

Given this setup has worked well for all internet connected devices at home, is there any issue with connecting a Sky router to the phone base station with a similarly long cable? The wi-fi or phone "reception" won't be degraded if the router and base station are not sitting next to each other, without the need for a long cable connecting them?

Yes, it should be fine. However, you may find your cordless phones work ok with the base station directly connected to your Hub upstairs, rather than downstairs via a long cable.

Garten012
Topic Author

@Mark39 wrote:

Yes, it should be fine. However, you may find your cordless phones work ok with the base station directly connected to your Hub upstairs, rather than downstairs via a long cable.

Thanks Mark.

I'm already contemplating bringing the base station upstairs, putting the secondary phone downstairs. Unfortunately the router will still be in another room, albeit with a much shorter distance for the telephone cable to travel.

I'm much more encouraged if there's no technical reason for it not to work, as you suggest.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

The only issues we've seen reported here are with older DECT cordless phones some of which appear to be incompatible with Sky internet calls. Recent models shouldn't be a problem.

Garten012
Topic Author

I bought the current phones a few months ago, so they are not old models.

Is there a cooling-off period should anything not work as promised?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Garten012 wrote:

Is there a cooling-off period should anything not work as promised?

For broadband from any individual ISP, yes, but not from the switch to SOGEA (non-PSTN) provision.

Since September this year it's not possible for any ISP to obtain new wholesale PSTN service, so no new order can be provided unless telephony travels over the data connection to the ISP router.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Garten012
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood wrote:

For broadband from any individual ISP, yes, but not from the switch to SOGEA (non-PSTN) provision.

Thanks, I did assume that such a big technical change would not be reversible, more that issues with a particular provider's telephone provision might still allow me to cancel that part of an order and go elsewhere.

Somewhat moot now, given that I tried to order from Sky last night and the website fell down at the last part of the transaction on multiple occasions.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion