Discussion topic: Landline phone number now incorrect after full fibre installation

This message was authored by CISCRH This message was authored by: CISCRH

Re: Landline phone number now incorrect after full fibre installation

@Brosley: 3.5 days have passed and I've had no response since I reported the problem to the  Sky Network Team: They had stated that they would investigate the problem within 72 hours. I did some more checks on the evening of 10-Jul-24, which confirmed that the problem still existed at that time.

I checked again ust now (8am, 13-Jul-24) and I can now call my landline successfully from my mobile phone using the old landline number. That's a good result for me; it would have been nice if Sky had informed me that they had resolved the issue.

I will carry out some more tests in the next few days to confirm that the fix is permanent 🙂

This message was authored by Broseley89This message was authored by:Broseley89
This message was authored by frank11111 This message was authored by: frank11111

we have the same problem from Yorkshire. Full fibre fitted Tuesday nothing wrong with the speed but can only make calls out unable to call the landline. Number not recognised. we have been told that we should get a call back tomorrow, will update on what they say tomorrow night.

Broseley89
Topic Author
This message was authored by Broseley89 This message was authored by: Broseley89

@CISCRH ours is still not working. Glad yours is OK now. There's hope!

Broseley89
Topic Author
This message was authored by Broseley89 This message was authored by: Broseley89

@frank11111 sorry to hear that. Ours has been out for over a week now. Sky said they'd keep us updated,  but nothing yet.

This message was authored by frank11111 This message was authored by: frank11111

Well so far they have not contacted us looks like I will have to phone them again

Broseley89
Topic Author

@frank11111 typical! I've heard nothing either.

Broseley89
Topic Author

@frank11111 @CISCRH see this useful article. Scroll down to "Will my existing phone still work?'

It seems that some phones won't, some may need an adapter. I'll phone Sky again.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/broadband/article/digital-voice-and-the-landline-phone-switch-off-wh...

Thanks for the info my landline works for outward calls but unable to receive so should not need any other device. I have phoned sky today they are now saying it could be talk shield they have turned that of and say they need to give that time to happen. So again I need to wait but they have assured me they will call me back Tuesday between 10 and  11 am. Watch this space!

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Broseley89 wrote:

@frank11111 @CISCRH see this useful article. Scroll down to "Will my existing phone still work?'

It seems that some phones won't, some may need an adapter. I'll phone Sky again.

That's a red herring, I'm afraid. Any standard phone handset will work with Sky VOIP.

A BT phone designed for use with their Digital Voice service won't work with Sky VOIP, nor will a VOIP phone.

There's no adaptor that can be used to connect to Sky VOIP. The only connection is via the Hub's analogue phone port.

Broseley89
Topic Author

@frank11111 I don't have Talk shield.  I can also make outgoing calls.

Sky are blaming Openreach and saying it's a network issue and they should be letting me know when it's sorted out.

Broseley89
Topic Author

Thanks, there's a lot of misinformation out there. I was told by someone else today that digital voice will only work with a digital phone and that they cost hundreds and have only been in the market for the last year. 

This message was authored by CISCRH This message was authored by: CISCRH

@Broseley...well our phone is an old  (DECT?) answerphone/multiple handsets model we bought in about 2008. It plugs directly into the Sky hub, as it did to the previous Sky hub we got in 2016. no adapter is required. As you say, there is a lot of misleading information out there.

Broseley89
Topic Author

@CISCRH that's reassuring to hear. Our phone is also a DECT though bought in 2019.

no call from sky, but phone is now working, you would think they would let us know, found out by calling our number.

Broseley89
Topic Author

That's good news then. @frank11111 . Ours isn't!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion