Discussion topic: If I use my house phone that is plugged into socket on router/modem ? Are these calls free ?

This message was authored by Ceazyangel1 This message was authored by: Ceazyangel1

If I use my house phone that is plugged into socket on router/modem ? Are these calls free ?

If my home phone is connected to modem/router as now have no call plan . So are calls now Wi-Fi and free ? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: If I use my house phone that is plugged into socket on router/modem ? Are these calls free ?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ceazyangel1 wrote:

If my home phone is connected to modem/router as now have no call plan . So are calls now Wi-Fi and free ? 

No, there isn't any WiFi involved.  Calls are being routed as VOIP, but Sky, like other ISPs, still charge for them, either as pence per minute or from a bundled allowance.

'WiFi calling' is a different concept involving mobile phones routing the initial part of their connection over local wireless rather than cellular signal.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: If I use my house phone that is plugged into socket on router/modem ? Are these calls free ?

@Ceazyangel1No these calls are not free. If you are not on a calls package, then you will be on the pay-as-you-go. So it is worth checking with Sky to see if you are on a calls package at this time, so that you don't get hit with a large bill.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Ceazyangel1
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ceazyangel1 This message was authored by: Ceazyangel1

So what are Wi-Fi calls I have on my account ? 
sorry if I am being bit daft

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Ceazyangel1The internet calls that you have, that the voice side of your phone line is now gone, all other sockets in your property no longer work with a phone in them.

All the voice calls that come through your phone number are routed to the phone connected to the router. So your phone line has gone digital, as more of the old copper network is switched off.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Ceazyangel1
Topic Author

Ok I get you , I think 🤔 so if I use house phone it will still be charged ? But I still have ability to get incoming calls via house phone .

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Ceazyangel1 wrote:

Ok I get you , I think 🤔 so if I use house phone it will still be charged ? But I still have ability to get incoming calls via house phone .

Yes, calls you make via your house phone are charged. 

Yes, you can still receive calls via your house phone.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Ceazyangel1 wrote:

No, there isn't any WiFi involved.  Calls are being routed as VOIP, but Sky, like other ISPs, still charge for them, either as pence per minute or from a bundled allowance.

'WiFi calling' is a different concept involving mobile phones routing the initial part of their connection over local wireless rather than cellular signal.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion