Discussion topic: How to register as a vulnerable customer for a Sky analogue phone?

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

Re: How to register as a vulnerable customer for a Sky analogue phone?

A similar thing happened in mainland uk in december, if there is a telecare alarm present on the line if the order makes it past the sales process the openreach engineer delays the installation and send it back to the provider to cancel the order

this is due to the battery backups that some providers supplied not working correctly

StephenSky
Topic Author
This message was authored by StephenSky This message was authored by: StephenSky

@mormegil wrote:

A similar thing happened in mainland uk in december, if there is a telecare alarm present on the line if the order makes it past the sales process the openreach engineer delays the installation and send it back to the provider to cancel the order

this is due to the battery backups that some providers supplied not working correctly

I believe the whole thing has come to a head in recent weeks with so many large storms causing numerous UK wide power cuts. Then the realisation that the so called, battery 'backup' (if even installed) for Digital Voice is totally inadequate to ensure emergency communication cover...

This message was authored by cymru123 This message was authored by: cymru123

There's some good resources on how to make calls in A powercut along with links to some tests done by others - https://landlinesgo.digital/powercut 

As for mobile coverage this is also being improved through projects such as the SRN (https://srn.org.uk/) and other local government schemes.

Letting Sky know about your situation should then allow them to offer you with the appropriate guidance and if you have any telecare alarms to ensure extra checks and procedures are put in place.

The "pause" as the media put it is aimed at those with telecare systems who were scoped for non-voluntary migrations (where the provider contacts you to be moved as part their managed migrations). The charter also makes sure extra checks and procedures are put in place to ensure that after the digital switch has been done that the customers telecare alarm still functions.

To note that making changes to your package or moving providers is classed as a voluntary move so this will mean you'll be moved to that providers digital based voice service (Internet Calls/Digital Voice)

StephenSky
Topic Author
This message was authored by StephenSky This message was authored by: StephenSky

@cymru123 wrote:

As for mobile coverage this is also being improved through projects such as the SRN (https://srn.org.uk/) and other local government schemes.

Interesting project, stating that in NI they are trying to improve 4G from 79% coverage to 85%! I have lived in my current home for 30+ years, every  mobile operator has promised they are improving their coverage to my area, not one so far has...

@cymru123 wrote:

To note that making changes to your package or moving providers is classed as a voluntary move so this will mean you'll be moved to that providers digital based voice service (Internet Calls/Digital Voice)

Interesting too as last week when I was 'renegotiating' my Sky contract, one of the questions I was asked was could I receive a good mobile phone signal if I had no power. This panicked me, and I spent the next 5 minutes asserting that I did not want ANY change to my current analogue landline system, and even to the extent that I asked the guy to repeat back what I said to make sure he understood!

So I'm guessing, renewing your contract can trigger a change to 'digital' if you're not paying attention!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@StephenSky wrote:
So I'm guessing, renewing your contract can trigger a change to 'digital' if you're not paying attention!

Renewal on the same service shouldn't do so, but a change in speed absolutely will because analogue service isn't available on any new order for wholesale bandwidth placed by an ISP.

It's also possible that an offer to reduce monthly cost will be linked to a change in technology (FTTC to FTTP) even without a speed change, which would have the same resulting loss of PSTN service.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@StephenSky wrote:

I recently renewed my broadband/phone contract with BT and during the negotiation they asked me if I wanted to switch to digital calls. So far as I know, Sky don't currently raise it unless you're changing your broadband package, as previously posted.

StephenSky
Topic Author

@Mark39 wrote:

@StephenSky wrote:

I recently renewed my broadband/phone contract with BT and during the negotiation they asked me if I wanted to switch to digital calls. So far as I know, Sky don't currently raise it unless you're changing your broadband package, as previously posted.

I wanted my contract to remain exactly the same as is, but I did want a reduction in cost. I suppose me wanting a better price triggered the 'scripted' question if I had a good mobile signal with no external power.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@StephenSky wrote:
I wanted my contract to remain exactly the same as is, but I did want a reduction in cost. I suppose me wanting a better price triggered the 'scripted' question if I had a good mobile signal with no external power.

Yes, because to move your address to a cheaper wholesale product (rather than cutting their profit margin) the ISP would have to discontinue your PSTN service.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
StephenSky
Topic Author

@Daniel0210 wrote:

@StephenSky 
Try this different link

https://www.skyaccessibility.sky/

Sadly that link does not provide an answer to my original question. But someone has marked it as an, 'answer' LOL Maybe they were thinking of a different question 🤣

@StephenSky wrote:

@Daniel0210 wrote:

@StephenSky 
Try this different link

https://www.skyaccessibility.sky/

Sadly that link does not provide an answer to my original question. But someone has marked it as an, 'answer' LOL Maybe they were thinking of a different question 🤣

I suspect there's confusion between registering as an accessible customer with Sky and registering as a vulnerable customer with Openreach (via Sky).

They're not the same thing, and doing the former doesn't automatically complete the latter.

StephenSky
Topic Author

Not looking good so far. Sent letter 1st class signed for, they have it but I've heard nothing yet. They have my email, mobile, landline, and address. You'd have thought they would even acknowledge receipt. I'm really not impressed...

StephenSky
Topic Author
This message was authored by StephenSky This message was authored by: StephenSky Answer

A bit of humble pie!

I just got a wonderful landline call from Sky accessibility team based in Scotland.

I am now registered as a 'vulnerable' customer for the sake of OpenReach change over to landline Digital Voice! So, an old fashioned letter worked after all, and this thread can now legitimately wear the badge of, answered'!

This message was authored by Hesley This message was authored by: Hesley

Hello,

I am writing this on behalf of my Father in Law, and signed into his account and he is sitting next to me.  We are concerned regarding the didgital shut off as he has a lifeline telecom alarm.  He is no longer able to use a mobile and is extremely vulnerable. 

can you please register him as vulnerable.

regards

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Hesley wrote:

Hello,

I am writing this on behalf of my Father in Law, and signed into his account and he is sitting next to me.  We are concerned regarding the didgital shut off as he has a lifeline telecom alarm.  He is no longer able to use a mobile and is extremely vulnerable. 

can you please register him as vulnerable.

regards

We are all customers here we can't register anyone,  pleasee try this link at the botton of the forum https://www.skyaccessibility.sky/

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

@Hesley Sky have not yet moved existing customers to a digital landline and I've seen no plan yet for them to do so. Currently only new customers and customers upgrading their broadband package are migrated. 

However, it would be sensible to contact the provider of his care alarm to find out how they accommodate the switchover.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion