Discussion topic: How to register as a vulnerable customer for a Sky analogue phone?

This message was authored by StephenSky This message was authored by: StephenSky

How to register as a vulnerable customer for a Sky analogue phone?

What is the procedure for registering as a 'vulnerable customer' with a Sky analogue phone line? I am terrified of just being switched over without consent to Digital Voice. I have NO mobile signal where I live so my alaogue phone is my emergency lifeline. (Mobile calls are WiFi but withiut electricity, I'm simoply holding on to a brick!)

If I'm switched to 'digital', during a power cut I'm left with no means of coommunication, and living in a rural area, power cuts are not uncommon. (I also have additional health issues so this whole thing has me stressed out)

(Current battery back up methods give out only 2 hours power, pretty useless!)

(I thought I may have too go through BT as they own the infrastructure, but there is no mecahinsm for a non BT customer to contact them)

Best Answers
StephenSky
Topic Author
This message was authored by StephenSky This message was authored by: StephenSky Answer

Re: How to register as a vulnerable customer for a Sky analogue phone?

A bit of humble pie!

I just got a wonderful landline call from Sky accessibility team based in Scotland.

I am now registered as a 'vulnerable' customer for the sake of OpenReach change over to landline Digital Voice! So, an old fashioned letter worked after all, and this thread can now legitimately wear the badge of, answered'!

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You can get yourself registered with Sky's accessibility team via the options shown here:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/contacting-sky-accessibility

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
StephenSky
Topic Author
This message was authored by StephenSky This message was authored by: StephenSky

Sadly that link states the following:

Are you a registered accessibility customer?

These contact options are only for registered accessibility customers or customers who'd like to register their visual, hearing, motor or physical needs with our dedicated accessibility team. You can also register the needs of anyone you live with.

Just tells you if you are already a 'vulnerable customer, how to contact them, how do you become a vulnerable customer in the first place?

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@StephenSky  Not wanting to lose an analaogie line (which BTW everyone will at some pont) won't make you vulbnerable.

Unless you fall into the categories outlined on the accessibility page? 

You won't be able to stop the analogue line from going digital, there simply isn't mechanism for that.  Openreach are rolling this out to be completed by end of 2025, regardless.

I doubt Sky will just switch you over without any kind of notice.  

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Currently Sky are only provisioning the digital phone service for customers switching from another service provider or in some cases when upgrading their broadband service. There's no general switchover yet for existing phone customers, to my knowledge, but with Openreach planning to close down the analogue phone network by the end of next year, I imagine it will start soon.

With regard to registering as a vulnerable customer, I'd suggest giving Sky a call. I'm not aware of any way online that you can register.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@StephenSky 
Try this different link

https://www.skyaccessibility.sky/

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
StephenSky
Topic Author

2 weeks ago, BT Northern Ireland announced they were suspending Digital Voice rollout to vulnerable customers until they found a more robust solution to cope with power cuts. I simply want to be in this 'groip' but have no idea how...

@StephenSky I suspect that's common among all service providers. For how to register see my previous post.

StephenSky
Topic Author

Hi Mark, is there such a thing for Sky as a UK call center telephone number?

I'd even be prepared to write an old fashioned letter if I had an appropriate address to post to.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@StephenSky  There is no direct number for a UK call centre all calls are routed through one number, having multiple numbers is just not logical for a company of this size.

Having dedicated numbers for a UK support would stop calls going to other locations and overwhelming onshore staff.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@StephenSky 

On the link I posted it does say this:

For accessibility help or to register your accessibility needs with us, get in touch using the buttons below.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
StephenSky
Topic Author

@GD1 wrote:

@StephenSky  There is no direct number for a UK call centre all calls are routed through one number, having multiple numbers is just not logical for a company of this size.

Having dedicated numbers for a UK support would stop calls going to other locations and overwhelming onshore staff.

I was afraid of that. Last week, I spent 80 minutes on the phone renewing my 'sky' contract for another 18 months. Much of the conversation was taken up by me asking the Sky person to repeat himself as not only did I find it difficult to understand, but the backgrpund noise bled through the call to almost making it impossible. I yen for the days of a straigthforward call to an excellent Dundee center!

Is there a postal address that is used, because I really don't think I have the strength/stamina for another phone call to Sky...

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@StephenSky wrote:

(Current battery back up methods give out only 2 hours power, pretty useless!)

Bizarrely the current Ofcom stipulation is for ISPs/telcos to ensure a minimum of one hour of runtime.

(I thought I may have too go through BT as they own the infrastructure, but there is no mecahinsm for a non BT customer to contact them)

Openreach & BT Wholesale are required to be operationally independent within BT Group, so contacting BT in their ISP/telco incarnation won't help.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Hi Stephen,

The postal address is Sky Subscriber Services, PO Box 43, Livingston, West Lothian EH54 7DD

StephenSky
Topic Author

Have now written letter and will post tomorrow, many thanks...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion