Discussion topic: volume button on remote not working. changed batteries. still not working, bought new remote, still

This message was authored by cero This message was authored by: cero

volume button on remote not working. changed batteries. still not working, bought new remote, still

When I press volume button on remote, red light does NOT come on at box.  Changed batteries, still no red light, bought new Sky Remote, still no red light on box...all other buttons working ok.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: volume button on remote not working. changed batteries. still not working, bought new remote, st

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Welcome to the forum @cero.

The volume button on your Sky remote controls your TV, not the Sky box, so you may well not see the infra red repeater LED light up on the box. That's normal.

This message was authored by Quoman7 This message was authored by: Quoman7

Re: volume button on remote not working. changed batteries. still not working, bought new remote, st

@cero wrote:

When I press volume button on remote, red light does NOT come on at box.  Changed batteries, still no red light, bought new Sky Remote, still no red light on box...all other buttons working ok.

Hi Smiley Happy Does the volume change on your tv, when you use the remote?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to have superpowers… But a therapist took them away.
cero
Topic Author

No that's the problem.........remote will not chance volume....can change it manually but that involves doing so on top of tv.    The remote for the Sony tv will change the volume but NOT the Sky remote, neither the old one with new batteries, nor the new one I've just purchased.

cero
Topic Author

The Sky remote will not change the volume.....have to do that manually on top of tv BUT have discovered the remote for the tv which has been redundant for years, will chance the volume.  Neither the old Sky remote with new batteries, nor the new Sky Remote just purchased will for some reason NOT change the volume.  This has only just happened couple of days ago.

Have you programmed your Sky remote with the correct code, so that it knows what make and model TV you have? See Sky's code finder here.

cero
Topic Author

Why would I have to do this now.......it has been operating perfectly up until last week-end.  Same tv, same Sky Remote...all other buttons on remote are working perfectly??

You didn't tell us that. But why not give it a try anyway? And if you haven't already, try switching your TV off at the plug and then on again, in case it's a tv problem rather than the remote.

cero
Topic Author

Yeah...maybe I'll treat myself to a new super-duper monster tv...after all, like L'Oriel...I'm worth it...LOL

cero
Topic Author

switched everything off at socket...left for 10 mins...switched all back on...no difference.....Sky remote still not working the volume???  Neither the old one with new batteries, or the new one purchased on line.  The little red light used to light up when volume was changed...that does not happen now so I'm assuming is a fault with my Sky HD box???  How do I go about getting that fixed or replaced...it is quite old.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

The sky box does not control the volume on your TV, it is the sky remote that copies your TVs remote control signals when it is programmed for your TV make/model

A new sky remote will need programming as will and existing remote if you take too long to change the batteries, otherwise the sky remote will not know which IR codes to transmit to your TV

cero
Topic Author

The old remote had duracell batteries fitted a few months ago and everything was working ok.  I normally get message on screen telling me when the batteries need changed but that had not happened.  Did fit new batteries and still volume not working so put original ones back in again.  I've been with SKY way back when they were BSB and before that when satellite tv came to the UK so I think I know how the equipment works.  Anyhow my TV remote will change the volume in the meantime until it bugs me too much and will try and reset new remote..its kinda redundant at the moment....

You'll know, then, that your Sky remote needs the code for your TV make and model so that it can send the correct infra red signal to your TV to increase or decrease the volume.

Your Sky box plays no part in this at all - your Sky remote will control your TV sound even if your Sky box is switched off at the plug.

Re-programming the remote definitely looks like your next step.

cero
Topic Author

OK Mark 39...will give it a go at some stage......so far still using tv remote for volume...need time and patience to sit and reprogramme the new remote, see if that works, then do same for old remove too. Thanks for your advice.  Much appreciated by this O.A.P.!!!!!

If you need a reminder, this explains how to programme your Sky remote, when you're ready to do it.

If you come unstuck, just give us a shout on the forum.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion