Discussion topic: Sky on demand not connecting - sky plus box

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Sky on demand not connecting - sky pkus box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@valbarbaro wrote:

What’s a demand connector?

It's a small add-on device which allows those Sky+HD boxes which don't have built-in wireless connectivity, to connect to your wifi.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@valbarbaro

An on demand connector is a device that plugs into your Sky+ box box allowing it to connect wirelessly to your home Wifi connection and therefore allowing you to access On Demand content. This is the one that Sky sells:

https://accessories.sky.com/catalogue/products/sky-on-demand-connector?section=internet&category=all...

If your Sky+ box has a WPS button on it that you do not need one of these are the wireless is already built into the box.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by R.W+Laidlaw This message was authored by: R.W+Laidlaw

Re: Sky on demand not connecting - sky plus box

I think I have found the problem. In my case it was a Netgear WiFi extender, that I was using to provide an internet connection for my Krell Vanguard Integrated Amplifier (sits on the shelf below the Sky Box) via an ethernet Cat 5 cable. I have found this extender was also causing problems with my nearby Mac Mini media server's WiFi connection, making it drop at regular intervals and not re-connecting automatically. Now that I have killed the Netgear extender, the Sky Box is connecting to the Sky+ app every time and my Mac Mini is behaving itself. I will just have to buy another Apple Airport Express. 

RWilsonL
This message was authored by Edconmom This message was authored by: Edconmom

This worked for me, the physical removal of the green cable from the on demand mini box from the sky box before unplugging the sky box was what I had not previously done! Thanks for the fix.

This message was authored by NicnPete This message was authored by: NicnPete

I've just found this thread. Our +hd box was working this afternoon and I was catching up with my recorded shows. We stopped for dinner and all change.  Now we can't get anything on demand. No catchup, planner, cinema, box sets.   We have wifi - hence being able to post. The box says it has a  connection, which we have tested and retested with suggested reboots.. We can watch all channels live on Sky however.

Been troubleshooting for hours trying just about everything I've seen on this thread. Can anyone suggest another course of action to restore our lost services? We have a WPA connection, no physical  connector box.

We are peeved as customers of 20 years. Ths box isn't that old- about two years old and now this. We pay a lot every month  and we would like a workable solution to fix tnis without being fleeced.Any ideas Sky experts? Thank you.

This message was authored by auntieanne This message was authored by: auntieanne

I put the orginal post on and didn't really get any useful advice, my box is still connected with an ethernet cable running across the room until I can clear the planner.

I tried everything, I'll be cancelling it all when the final series of Game of Thrones has been on, we use Netflix more and I just got an email to say my SKY is increasing in price!

Good luck x

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@NicnPete wrote:

I've just found this thread. Our +hd box was working this afternoon and I was catching up with my recorded shows. We stopped for dinner and all change.  Now we can't get anything on demand. No catchup, planner, cinema, box sets.   We have wifi - hence being able to post. The box says it has a  connection, which we have tested and retested with suggested reboots.. We can watch all channels live on Sky however.

Been troubleshooting for hours trying just about everything I've seen on this thread. Can anyone suggest another course of action to restore our lost services? We have a WPA connection, no physical  connector box.

We are peeved as customers of 20 years. Ths box isn't that old- about two years old and now this. We pay a lot every month  and we would like a workable solution to fix tnis without being fleeced.Any ideas Sky experts? Thank you.

I think you can disable the internal Wi-Fi from the hidden menu (SERVICES, 0, 0, 1, SELECT) 

Try disabling the Wi-Fii, rebooting your Sky Box then re-enabling the Wi-Fi 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@auntieanne wrote:

I put the orginal post on and didn't really get any useful advice, my box is still connected with an ethernet cable running across the room until I can clear the planner.

I tried everything, I'll be cancelling it all when the final series of Game of Thrones has been on, we use Netflix more and I just got an email to say my SKY is increasing in price!

Good luck x

Ethernet is much more secure and reliable than Wi-Fi, I will always recommend Ethernet over Wi-Fi for these reasons 

That's awful. Ill share how we get on

That's awful. Ill share how we get on. Paying customers should get more support.

This message was authored by R.W+Laidlaw This message was authored by: R.W+Laidlaw

If you are using an ethernet cable, do you just not use the on demand box and plug the ethernet feed direct into the Sky HD+ box? I have not checked to see if there is an ethernet "in" connection on the on demand box, as well as the ethenet "out" connection to the Sky box. Having thought I had cured the problem by removing the nearby WiFi extender (I was using its ethernet out to connect to my Krell Vanguard Integrated Amplifier), the on demand box is no longer accessible from my iPad. 

RWilsonL
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

What happens when you try to download, @NicnPete? What have you tried so far, to get it to work?

Downloading is usually working OK for me although after a power cut (we are at the end of a long rural power supply), it is sometimes very reluctant to re-connect. It is only the link to an iOS device that doesn't work. I can live without this, so I am tempted just to leave things as they are. 

RWilsonL

Hi Mark39 -

we have no download capability, recording, access to planner, box sets, catch up. Nothing apart from watching live tv. We have access to all our channels. That's it.

Sorry @Mark39 didn't answer all of your questions.  We've tried all the suggested re-boots.

Unplugging, then starting with two buttons pressed on the box,

or restarting pressing the backup button.

We've disconnected and reconnected the router so many times.  The box definitely finds the broadband and the signal light confirms that.

We've unplugged everything and reconnected. 

We've even removed the card, cleaned and replaced.

The only thing we haven't done is a factory re-set, but I suspect everything we've saved or sceheduled is lost anyway so a reformat is no great loss at this point.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion