Discussion topic: Sky box turning itself off

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Sky box turning itself off

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

when I say power supply I’m talking about the hardware in the box

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Yes - so IF it's a internal hardware problem  =  New box ?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Anonymous  is the box actually switching off (does the power led change to amber)? Or is it picture and sound disappearing from your TV?

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

I completely disconnected all plugs from the sky+ box and watched freeview on built in tv.

After about 3 hours  -  Just reconnected all plugs turned on and box seems to be working fine  -  STRANGE

This message was authored by Jeezo30 This message was authored by: Jeezo30

Mines doing same , every 5 mins or so box just switches off NO SIGNAL and light Amber. Sometimes happens about 5 or 6 times then all good for a day or so then starts to do it again. Only just renewed box as last one was not recording 

@Jeezo30 wrote:

Mines doing same , every 5 mins or so box just switches off NO SIGNAL and light Amber. Sometimes happens about 5 or 6 times then all good for a day or so then starts to do it again. Only just renewed box as last one was not recording 

Have you made sure the power cable is not loose?

This message was authored by Jeezo30 This message was authored by: Jeezo30

Yes checked all cables and reconnected still does it

The box spontaneously switching to standby is unusual and sounds like the box may be faulty. Give Sky a call.

This message was authored by paul.beckwith This message was authored by: paul.beckwith

hi  all    mine  is  turning  its  self  on and  off  very  briefley   ..... just  seconds  then  program  restarts  again 

sky  plus  box 3  years  old  /  nothing  on  it  /  all  cables  all  plugged  in     ...  switched  to  freeview  and  does  not  do  it   ( so  ruled out  the  tv )  /  switched  back  to  sky  and  does  it  once / twice  an  hour  ???????

paul

This message was authored by Bones22 This message was authored by: Bones22

I have just replaced my old box after giving up with it. The box would work fine for a couple of days then it would shut down at various times of the day without any set pattern. If left, it would eventually switch itself on again, usuall to the channel I was previously watching. If I tried any of the tests suggested by Sky, it would keep telling me that my box was still initialising and to come back later. I even tried several times to do a rebuild but it gave me the same answer every time. I tried all three options (Eco, Auto and None) and made sure that I saved each one in turn but it made no difference. I checked all of the connections several times and they were all fine. Nothing on top of the box either.

I have now replaced my old box with an up to date one which I set up 3 days ago. Today it started to do the same sequence of random shutting down and re-booting itself. Can anybody please tell me what the problem is?

Thank you - G-Man

@Bones22 overheating perhaps, especially if you're in a high ambient temperature area at the moment? Is the box on an open shelf (not in a cabinet), with nothing above or beneath it, and free space of at least 12 inches all around?

This message was authored by Bones22 This message was authored by: Bones22

Thanks Mark 39 but the Sky box is on an open furniture surface. It sometimes switches off after a minute or less and sometimes it stays on for an hour or more. Also sometimes works for a couple of days.

@Bones22

@Bones22 wrote:

Thanks Mark 39 but the Sky box is on an open furniture surface. It sometimes switches off after a minute or less and sometimes it stays on for an hour or more. Also sometimes works for a couple of days.

@Bones22

Sounds like a classic hardware fault

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion