Discussion topic: Sky On Demand Slow Download

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Fletcher+Jones This message was authored by: Fletcher+Jones

Re: Sky On Demand Slow Download

Good luck!

This message was authored by Freddy+F This message was authored by: Freddy+F

Thanks fletcher.  Following your lead I clicked

Settings | Network | OK | Red (Reset)

and that fixed the problem for me.  

This message was authored by Fletcher+Jones This message was authored by: Fletcher+Jones

Brilliant! It's great to be able to help people with this problem that drove me mad for over a year.

What would be much better though would be if Sky would admit the problem and issue a software update to fix it.

Is anybody at Sky listening?

This message was authored by RickyB77 This message was authored by: RickyB77

I have bt.home hub with current speed wirelessly to my iPhone showing 24mbs.      I have done this manual reset and it's still taking ages to download a movie in hd.  Over a minute for 1 percent.   So whole movie would take between 1 and a half hours to 2 hours to download.   I take it it should be quicker.     Thanks for any help

This message was authored by forwhatitsworth This message was authored by: forwhatitsworth

I’ve just solved this issue by not only restarting the Sky HD box but also disconnecting and unplugging the wifi connector.  Once the Sky box has restarted (a message will tell you you’re not connected to wifi), reconnect and plug in the wifi device. HD downloads back to normal!

This message was authored by chris1993 This message was authored by: chris1993

Thanks so much! Been having issues even downloading an episode of Eastenders for a while now but it’s really bugging us when we want a film. We’ve been blaming the WiFi which is with Virgin and gives us grief regularly but I noticed that the box in my daughters room is fine so decided it must be our box. Seems to have done the trick here.

This message was authored by NewToSky This message was authored by: NewToSky

HI,

I feel compelled to defend those poor people at sky. There is a miriad of things that can go wrong with Wi-Fi and network links that they cannot control. Not just the bad cable, not just a poor fitting on an RJ45 Ethernet connection or the 'noisy' home appliance that starts to interfere with TP links. The relocation of a router by a couple of feet that puts line of sight out, or the placement above the PC that sheilds half the signal.

Times have moved on with Wi-Fi over the years, but even the new routers have to be backward compatible with older Wi-Fi standards. So hows this for a got you. Best mate has a new router that is 802.11ac with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. So he connects his Sky+ box via his legacy wireless dongle to the 5Ghz band. Being backward compatible it accepts the link and runs at an excruciatingly slow pace because the firmware is optimised for a 5Ghz banding link and the legacy Wi-Fi drags down the speed. Reconnecting the wireless dongle to the 2.4Ghz network made a huge difference. Should Sky be blammed for this, or even considering this. Well their Guru's write some pretty good procedures to follow if you are having networking issues. Yes a network reset would cure this type of issue. If you are having roller coster download times its worth looking for legacy equipment and elimination this from your network. Remember, if it can go wrong, it will.

LoneWanderer
Topic Author
This message was authored by LoneWanderer This message was authored by: LoneWanderer

5GHz Wifi is much fater than 2.4 it just has a shoter range, meaning 2.4 will be better at longer distances. 2.4 is also not 'legacy' and is more than  fast enough for HD movies as long as the base internet speed is high enough and the box is within its range. [removed]

Moderator note: Please be nice to each other.

This message was authored by NewToSky This message was authored by: NewToSky

Hi,

i don’t think I referred to 2.4Ghz as  legacy. My reference here was aimed at 802.11b devices which are renowned for slowing networks down to there mean operating speed. I was attempting to show just what can go wrong with Wi-Fi networks. If you dissable 2.4Ghz on your router and connect an 802.11n device to the 5Ghz network you should see the issues this can cause. 

My point was not aimed at your fix but but at the post slating Sky.

This message was authored by Bill1234 This message was authored by: Bill1234

Tried this tonight and solved my slow download problem

Many thanks for the advice.

This message was authored by Amy1333 This message was authored by: Amy1333

Hi 

I have the same issue and am trying to apply the fix as described. When I go to settings on my sky q box using my remote I don’t have a network option ... am I missing something here? I have status, system info, parental, accessibility, setup, manual tuning and favourites as my options 😕

This message was authored by Quoman7 This message was authored by: Quoman7

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Amy1333 wrote:

Hi 

I have the same issue and am trying to apply the fix as described. When I go to settings on my sky q box using my remote I don’t have a network option ... am I missing something here? I have status, system info, parental, accessibility, setup, manual tuning and favourites as my options 😕

Hi @Amy1333 You are asking a question about SKYQ and this is a SKY+ board.

You need to start a new subject on SKYQ and put your question there!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to have superpowers… But a therapist took them away.
This message was authored by Calon+lan This message was authored by: Calon+lan

I’ve always had a very quick down load for Movies and also on Demand. However it’s taking over 3 hours to now down load. I’ve picked a 3D movie to watch at 16.30 today and I’m still waiting at 18.30. Any idea why this is happening on sky as this is a joke! .

i’ve see I’m not the only sky customer this is happening too. 

Any help would be appreciated 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Is your Sky box connected over wifi? If so, it's possible that the wifi environment within your home has changed. Changing the wireless channel in your router settings may help. Sky's guide here explains how.

This message was authored by Calon+lan This message was authored by: Calon+lan

Hi Mark, many thanks for you help on this, I’ve a BT router , do you know how to sort? 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion