Discussion topic: Sky+HD box - no recording or playback

This message was authored by Fed+Up+Phil This message was authored by: Fed+Up+Phil

Sky+HD box - no recording or playback

I've been away for a few days but when I got back today my Sky+ HD box will show live programmes but when I try to record something I get the error message "There is an issue with your Sky+HD box, so recording and playback are unavailable". The planner/box sets etc are all  unavailable  too.

I am due to have my box replaced with a Sky Q box but that's not for another 10 days.  As the MySky app is showing that I have a Q box. I wondered if Sky have swapped something too quickly and stopped my current box from working.

I've just called Sky and have been told that they are aware of this error and it is affecting ALL users. They hope to have it fixed in 24 - 48 hours. However, if it is affecting all Sky+HD customers,  I'm surprised not to see posts on this...

Any advice would be gratefully received as I would like the opportunity to watch the shows I've recorded before my box is swapped.

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Sky+HD box - no recording or playback

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more
Its not affecting ALL customers, our two Sky+HD boxes are working as normal. There are other threads reporting this issue but so far there is no solution
Fed+Up+Phil
Topic Author
This message was authored by Fed+Up+Phil This message was authored by: Fed+Up+Phil

Thanks Annie. I suspected the guy at Sky was making it up as he didn't know what to do. I even asked if every Sky customer in my road would have the same problem and he said they would. 

I'll call Sky again tomrrow. I'm seriously unimpressed with Sky's technical "customer service."

This message was authored by Toffee+Girl This message was authored by: Toffee+Girl

I am having exactly the same issue.  Got the error message on Tuesday, still there last night.  Have tried to look on the help section of the website but can't find anything. Has anyone spoken to sky again?  Reluctant to speak to them so hoping there is an answer.................

Fed+Up+Phil
Topic Author

I've spoken to Sky again but it isn't great news. They took me through trying to rebuild the planner, but that option wasn't available. We then went through a full system reset but after that the same error was still present. The conclusion from Sky was that there was a hard drive failure. Seems a coincidence that this happened at the same time as a system update but Sky say if it was the update at fault then they would be inundated with calls.

I was told I could pay for an engineer to come out and swap my box for another Sky+HD box but as I've already arranged for a new Q box in just over a week, I'll just have to wait for that.

@Fed+Up+Phil wrote:

I've spoken to Sky again but it isn't great news. They took me through trying to rebuild the planner, but that option wasn't available. We then went through a full system reset but after that the same error was still present. The conclusion from Sky was that there was a hard drive failure. Seems a coincidence that this happened at the same time as a system update but Sky say if it was the update at fault then they would be inundated with calls.

I was told I could pay for an engineer to come out and swap my box for another Sky+HD box but as I've already arranged for a new Q box in just over a week, I'll just have to wait for that.

Electronic will have a far greater chance of failing when being turned off and on, which an update does, how often does a light blub blow when left on compared to then being turned off and on, it is not a coincidence it is statistically more likely to happen during an update

This message was authored by Kath7 This message was authored by: Kath7

We have exactly the same issue since the “upgrade” we went on holiday - got back yesterday and now none of the shortcuts or the planner works at all. The TV guide is also patchy. 

They tried to get me to upgrade to Sky Q but this is their problem. I am awaiting an engineer to call back. I’ve tried the rebuild but not working and the full system reset - nothing happened. I am furious that an upgrade that I haven’t chosen or wanted has caused this. 

This message was authored by Toffee+Girl This message was authored by: Toffee+Girl

I had to resort to speaking to them yesterday. Not sure how they can call it “service”!  Used messenger to start. Admitted there’s issue but no fix available. Offered upgrade or refurbished box. As we have been thinking of upgrading took the opportunity to discuss that. Ok, they made me a good offer but so annoying that I had to go through this! 2 hours of my life last night I won’t get back!!

When it came to arranging the installation earliest date available is 10th May - suppose that’s because they are now busy installing new boxes!! If I was a conspiracy theorist...........

This message was authored by ice-cream This message was authored by: ice-cream

my record has stopped working :I can watch what ive recoreded already ,on my hd box..

it has only just happened today, we cant even reord wile watching the channel.......

Try a planner rebuild, Instructions can be found in my FAQ (link in my forum signature below)

If you get the error message diskless mode then the explanation can be found in my FAQ also

This message was authored by ice-cream This message was authored by: ice-cream

Thankyou very much. It worked ,back recording

This message was authored by Raggy+99 This message was authored by: Raggy+99

I have a new broadband box I went to settings to type in new hub details but it doesn't let me ?

other 2 boxes ok

This message was authored by Steve1144 This message was authored by: Steve1144

Same situation. Getting sky Q shortly but currently the sky+ box has stopped letting me set things to record and comes up with a message saying  issue with broadband connection (there is no issue with broadband as it is still working for everything else).

@Steve1144 wrote:

Same situation. Getting sky Q shortly but currently the sky+ box has stopped letting me set things to record and comes up with a message saying  issue with broadband connection (there is no issue with broadband as it is still working for everything else).

Strange as recordings are via satellite and not broadband, only download require broadband

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion