Discussion topic: Sky + Freeview

This message was authored by Nodrog87 This message was authored by: Nodrog87

Sky + Freeview

Hi there does anyone know if an old sky + box can be used as a freeview box. My folks have bought a holiday home which has previously had sky so has a dish and cabling. They dont have an ariel so wondered if they can connect their old sky + box to access Freeview through it without having a sky subscription for that address.

Best Answers
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

Re: Sky + Freeview

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nodrog87  No sky boxes can be used as a freeview box as they are two different systems.  It can be used as a Freesat box using an existing Satellite dish.

Freeview needs an aerial.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

@Nodrog87  No sky boxes can be used as a freeview box as they are two different systems.  It can be used as a Freesat box using an existing Satellite dish.

Freeview needs an aerial.

Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Not Freeview - that's delivered via a TV aerial, but they can receive the free to air Freesat channels using a Sky+ box. No recording, of course, without a subscription.

Nodrog87
Topic Author

Thank you very much for getting back to me. Thats great thanks. Do you know what I'd need to use it as a Free Sat box.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Nodrog87  Nothing other than the cables from the dish being plugged into the back of your Sky + box and connected to a TV by HDMI

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Nodrog87 just a note of caution - if the previous owners had Sky Q, a Sky+ box may not work, as the LNB (on the arm of the dish) is changed for Sky Q.

Nodrog87
Topic Author

Thank you.

Nodrog87
Topic Author

Would it require a viewing card

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Nodrog87  Only for the likes of Channel 4HD & Channel 5HD I believe, if they are not fussed with HD, then all the normal SD channels such as BBC,1, 2, 4, ITV, Ch4, Ch5 and few other channels are freely receivable without one

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Nodrog87 wrote:

Hi there does anyone know if an old sky + box can be used as a freeview box. My folks have bought a holiday home which has previously had sky so has a dish and cabling. They dont have an ariel so wondered if they can connect their old sky + box to access Freeview through it without having a sky subscription for that address.

Freeview requires an aerial and not a dish, a sky box can be used to pickup  FreeSAT without the need of a viewing card

This message was authored by Lindal0u This message was authored by: Lindal0u

In the past I've bought a Sky Freesat card for approximately £25 which gives you free sat and some additional channels. Works the same way as a subscription card, has to be linked to the box you install it in.  

@Lindal0u wrote:

In the past I've bought a Sky Freesat card for approximately £25 which gives you free sat and some additional channels. Works the same way as a subscription card, has to be linked to the box you install it in.  

AFAIK this service has been phased out

This message was authored by Zarinq This message was authored by: Zarinq

What should I do if  the previous owners did have a sky q box and I want to view freesat on the sky+ box? Thanks in advance

@Zarinq wrote:

What should I do if  the previous owners did have a sky q box and I want to view freesat on the sky+ box? Thanks in advance

You would need to have either the LNB on the dish downgraded or changed for a Hybrid LNB

This message was authored by Zarinq This message was authored by: Zarinq

Thanks you for your reply. 
The situation is like this,

My household had sky q with multiroom. The multiroom has been cancelled due to finances but I want to watch free view or free sat in the multiroom using a sky+ box. (The multiroom sky q box has been returned to sky). The main sky q box is sill active in the living room. What do I need to do to make that work or is there a better work around?  

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion