29

Discussion topic: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in August

Reply
This message was authored by HeathHayle This message was authored by: HeathHayle

SD boxes to lose all sky channels in August

hi guys just been wondering about sky saying that SD boxes will lose all sky channels in august because the letter I received didnt list them all is it just a case of too many to list?

HeathHayle_1-1712013684941.png

 

==============================
= Sky+ SD boxes x4 (pace bskyb 3100) ===
==============================

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I would imagine the letter lists the popular channels. All channels broadcasting from a DVB-S transponder are moving to a DVB-S2 transponder which SD boxes cannot receive.

View this Answer within the discussion

Reply

All Replies

This message was authored by pinknina667 This message was authored by: pinknina667

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

@HeathHayle  Hello. For those with an SD box only, Sky channels (those listed on your letter) will be infact closing their SD only feed from June 2024 onwards, with all the Sky channels switching off by the start of August. There will be other channels still avaialble on the box (not Sky) but it is recommended you move to another product such as Sky Q to get the most from your subscription. Hope this helps.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I would imagine the letter lists the popular channels. All channels broadcasting from a DVB-S transponder are moving to a DVB-S2 transponder which SD boxes cannot receive.

HeathHayle
Topic Author
This message was authored by HeathHayle This message was authored by: HeathHayle

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

@Mark39popular channels didnt think of that so I take it the rebrand didnt prove very popular then lol because I bet back in the day sky 1 would have been listed but showcase nowhere to be seen

==============================
= Sky+ SD boxes x4 (pace bskyb 3100) ===
==============================
HeathHayle
Topic Author
This message was authored by HeathHayle This message was authored by: HeathHayle

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

@pinknina667 will be interesting what channels will still be available would be great if SD boxes will be able to be used until satellite switch off heres to hoping!

==============================
= Sky+ SD boxes x4 (pace bskyb 3100) ===
==============================
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@HeathHayle wrote:

@pinknina667 will be interesting what channels will still be available would be great if SD boxes will be able to be used until satellite switch off heres to hoping!


Personally I have not read anything about UKTV (Dave, W, Drama, Yesterday - FTA -& Alibi, Gold & Eden - subscription ) changing their SD channels but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they also migrate their channels from DVB-S to DVB-S2 in the not too distant future

 

 

 

In reality the number of active SD only boxes must be tiny now

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@nigea99 wrote:

@HeathHayle wrote:

@pinknina667 will be interesting what channels will still be available would be great if SD boxes will be able to be used until satellite switch off heres to hoping!


Personally I have not read anything about UKTV (Dave, W, Drama, Yesterday - FTA -& Alibi, Gold & Eden - subscription ) changing their SD channels but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they also migrate their channels from DVB-S to DVB-S2 in the not too distant future

 

In reality the number of active SD only boxes must be tiny now


As those channels are 100% owned by the BBC they may go HD only at some point in the future, like the other BBC channels

Sky support for Sky+HD and earlier systems has ended, you can still get support if you already have Sky Protect insurance otherwise you'll have to find your own 3rd party company to get support from at your own expense
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Annie+UK wrote:

@nigea99 wrote:

@HeathHayle wrote:

@pinknina667 will be interesting what channels will still be available would be great if SD boxes will be able to be used until satellite switch off heres to hoping!


Personally I have not read anything about UKTV (Dave, W, Drama, Yesterday - FTA -& Alibi, Gold & Eden - subscription ) changing their SD channels but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they also migrate their channels from DVB-S to DVB-S2 in the not too distant future

 

In reality the number of active SD only boxes must be tiny now


As those channels are 100% owned by the BBC they may go HD only at some point in the future, like the other BBC channels


Yes this did cross my mind although Drama, as yet, has never been in HD (although we can now get some downloads in HD) and W HD remained as subscription when they made W in SD FTA  but it certainly would not surprise if they do go HD only

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@pinknina667 wrote:

@HeathHayle  Hello. For those with an SD box only, Sky channels (those listed on your letter) will be infact closing their SD only feed from June 2024 onwards, with all the Sky channels switching off by the start of August. There will be other channels still avaialble on the box (not Sky) but it is recommended you move to another product such as Sky Q to get the most from your subscription. Hope this helps.


Sky aren't closing any SD channels - they're changing the broadcast method to DVB-S2 which the non HD boxes can't receive.

HeathHayle
Topic Author
This message was authored by HeathHayle This message was authored by: HeathHayle

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

apart from sky cinema and sky sports I wonder if other packs can be added and removed etc like now on SD boxes after august

==============================
= Sky+ SD boxes x4 (pace bskyb 3100) ===
==============================
This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@HeathHayle wrote:

apart from sky cinema and sky sports I wonder if other packs can be added and removed etc like now on SD boxes after august


Unlikely - I think the only other pack might be Sky Kids and I believe that's already in HD with a lot of content on demand.

 

This message was authored by Hayden+mullinder This message was authored by: Hayden+mullinder

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

Same I still has happened (it airrving 8th april 2024 im waiting when get sky + for ebay

HeathHayle
Topic Author
This message was authored by HeathHayle This message was authored by: HeathHayle

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

@rscott if the kids pack is still in SD and obviously its not the sports or cinema pack do you think that would be still add/removable like it must be now because there is no current changes?

==============================
= Sky+ SD boxes x4 (pace bskyb 3100) ===
==============================
This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

The Sky Kids channel is HD only, so I doubt they'll let an SD subscriber add it.

Hopefully Sky have locked all SD box subscribers so they can't add anything unless they upgrade.

 

I wouldn't be surprised if they cease SD box subscriptions in future, once they've to changed all their channels.

HeathHayle
Topic Author
This message was authored by HeathHayle This message was authored by: HeathHayle

Re: SD boxes to lose all sky channels in august

"Hopefully Sky have locked all SD box subscribers so they can't add anything unless they upgrade." charming thats not very nice lol I was referring to the kids pack which includes SD channels not the sky kids channel which you say is HD only

==============================
= Sky+ SD boxes x4 (pace bskyb 3100) ===
==============================
Reply

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion