Discussion topic: How to use Sky Remote with Sky box in cupboard

This message was authored by sony-123 This message was authored by: sony-123

How to use Sky Remote with Sky box in cupboard

Hi!

Im new here!

I really dont know much on this topic, but hoping someone can help.

I want to but my sky box in a cupboard and still be able to use the remote. What do i need to do or purchase to get this working.

The Sky box i currently have is a Sky HD Mini (See atttached image i found on the net)

All i want to do is be bale to use the the remote while the box is tucked away. I dont want to connect to other screens etc. Im confused on what to buy and what i actually need to do here! 😞 

Thanks

Sky.png

All Replies

This message was authored by robert+petal This message was authored by: robert+petal

Re: How to use Sky Remote with Sky box in cupboard

The remote works by shining a light at the box, if there's a cupboard in the way it won't work. Someone else might know if a link pod thing can be connected and put somewhere nearby.

Also, if the box is in a cupboard it won't get any fresh air and might overheat on warm days.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@sony-123 

Unfortunately a Multiroom box like that does not have the RF output which the typical 'magic eye' infrared receiver uses: while this technology is mostly for television output and control in other rooms, it also functions for a concealed box in the same room by extending the view of the built in remote control receiver.

https://www.littlehouseonthecorner.com/how-to-hide-your-sky-box-and-still-be-able-to-control-it/ 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@sony-123 you have a SkyHD receiver which, as @TimmyBGood posted has no RF output and is therefore unable to support the usual magic eye arrangement.

There are standalone IR extenders available as an alternative which would do the job, albeit probably less neatly, but, possibly for a similar cost you could pick up a used Sky+HD box with the RF output you need to support a magic eye.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@sony-123 

@Mark39 makes an excellent point: I'd forgotten about standalone IR repeaters (which just receive a light signal in one end of the wire and emit a matching one at the other) and you may even be able to power one off the Sky box USB port.  Different models are available: some experimentation may be required though to find one that works.

71DioBTzLoL.jpg

61bUl5dqDZL.jpg

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion