Discussion topic: Have Subscription, but as losing Channels is there a single-payment Viewing card for old Recordings?

This message was authored by SKYTRACKER_24 This message was authored by: SKYTRACKER_24

Have Subscription, but as losing Channels is there a single-payment Viewing card for old Recordings?

I feel I'm too late to buy a single-payment Viewing card for basic TV, but seek confirmation one way or another whether such would be still available.

It's only so I could still keep watching old Recordings on my Sky plus box, without paying a regular monthly Subscription as I am now.  This used to be fine, after moving to Sky Signature (which in theory should last till December this year) ... but recent notification meant that most Channels that came with the deal would soon disappear, & I'd be left paying more or less only for the box - such a drastic reduction, though the Subscription appears non-negotiable & will stay the same.

So, I thought an alternative would be a single-payment Viewing card, unless there's another alternative I'm not presently aware of?

With Many Thanks for any help, & apologise for any duplication of question raised before.

NB   I don't want to move to Sky Q etc, for various reasons.

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Have Subscription, but as losing Channels is there a single-payment Viewing card for old Recordi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more
Please Note: Sky+ is now a legacy service that Sky are replacing with their newer services: Sky Q (all issues will be fixed during a Sky Q install), Sky Glass and Sky Stream

Sky want everyone off of Sky+, and earlier boxes, so want you to move to a supported service

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Have Subscription, but as losing Channels is there a single-payment Viewing card for old Recordi

@SKYTRACKER_24 wrote:

I feel I'm too late to buy a single-payment Viewing card for basic TV, but seek confirmation one way or another whether such would be still available.

It's only so I could still keep watching old Recordings on my Sky plus box, without paying a regular monthly Subscription as I am now.  This used to be fine, after moving to Sky Signature (which in theory should last till December this year) ... but recent notification meant that most Channels that came with the deal would soon disappear, & I'd be left paying more or less only for the box - such a drastic reduction, though the Subscription appears non-negotiable & will stay the same.

So, I thought an alternative would be a single-payment Viewing card, unless there's another alternative I'm not presently aware of?

With Many Thanks for any help, & apologise for any duplication of question raised before.

NB   I don't want to move to Sky Q etc, for various reasons.

hi @SKYTRACKER_24 

there is no such thing as a single payment viewing Card

Although you would loose existing recordings, if you have a SKY SD only box and thus due to loose SKY's  SD channels shortly then you may be better buying a second hand HD box from the likes of Ebay

BTW I don't know what will happen to old recordings from SKY SD channels when they switch transmission - clearly from the point they SD channels switch you will not be able to watch anything  broadcast from that point  - but older recordings may be available depending on whether SKY also drop the channels from suscription authorisation or not

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@SKYTRACKER_24 I think you're referring to a FreesatfromSky Viewing Card. I don't know whether Sky still make them available (I suspect not), but even if they did, you would only be able to watch and possibly record/playback from the Freesat channels. You need a full subscription to be able to play back recordings from subscription channels.

SKYTRACKER_24
Topic Author
This message was authored by SKYTRACKER_24 This message was authored by: SKYTRACKER_24

Hi Annie+UK,

Wow, such a quick Reply & Thanks! 

I'm new to Sky Community, so not sure if 'Replying' right, but turned to the Chat, after trying the phone helpline without success, as I wanted to make sure I didn't leave any stone unturned.

It does seem that way you described, in wanting all off the old Sky boxes & their 'legacy service' I've been on, so I take it, no option exists to continue seeing old Recordings without carrying on with the Subscription already in place, which will give less & less return the longer time goes on.

@SKYTRACKER_24 wrote:

Hi Annie+UK,

Wow, such a quick Reply & Thanks! 

I'm new to Sky Community, so not sure if 'Replying' right, but turned to the Chat, after trying the phone helpline without success, as I wanted to make sure I didn't leave any stone unturned.

It does seem that way you described, in wanting all off the old Sky boxes & their 'legacy service' I've been on, so I take it, no option exists to continue seeing old Recordings without carrying on with the Subscription already in place, which will give less & less return the longer time goes on.

@SKYTRACKER_24 

The SKY Hd is not really intended for permament retention - just time shifting

As I mentioned you may find it better to source a Used HD box (although you wil loose old recordings)

SKYTRACKER_24
Topic Author

Hi nigea99,

Thanks for such a quick Reply, which confirms no single-payment Viewing card!

An idea to try for a 2nd Hand HD box from eg Ebay, but among my favourite old Recordings, some are so old, I don't think the programme itself would exist any more, if not the Channel! ... so couldn't Re-record, even if I had another box.

But, may well consider for new Recordings, which will be a fresh option, with Thanks again for adding your thoughts!

SKYTRACKER_24
Topic Author

Hi Mark39,

Thanks for your quick Reply & enlightening me on the Viewing Card, which in the past, would have allowed ending a Subscription & to continue with at least the 'Freesat' Channels. 

I think you're right to suppose it's no longer available, as I'd made enquiry about a 'Single-payment Viewing card', on the phone helpline earlier but, when I couldn't make any headway on that front, then joined Sky Community for extra advice.  Which was why I wondered, if I'd left it too late, as I'm sure not so long ago, it used to be offered as an alternative to completely ending a Subscription, but it seems, not any more.

With Thanks again for making a Reply!

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

If you have a Sky+ or Sky+HD box, you can end your subscription and still receive the Freesat channels, there's no need for a special viewing card. You won't be able to pause/rewind/make recordings etc but Sky used to offer a lower cost subscription (something like £10  month) to retain those features.

What box do you have? Are you able to receive the BBC channels on it? If so you can disregard the message about losing channels as that's only for very old SD boxes that have already lost BBC channels and various others. 

SKYTRACKER_24
Topic Author

Hi xenon81,

Thanks for the extra information!  

Good to know I can end my Subscription & still receive, at least, the Freeview Channels on my Sky+ box (which may be counted as a very old SD box) ... without having to buy a special 'Viewing Card'.

But was most concerned about losing playback of the old Recordings if I were to end my Subscription, ... currently c£20/month with Signature Sky, I was able to sign up to, in not wanting a Sky Q box, & still have access to the Documentary Channels I preferred.  However, these are amongst what I've been notified I'll lose shortly, if I don't accept Sky Q, & faced with that, considered ending my Subscription altogether, but worry more about the 'cost' of losing replay of favourite old Recordings as well, I know I'll never be able to Record again, as so old.

That is, unless there's even a further reduced Subscription (like the £10/month you were referring to), I don't yet know about, but couldn't get anywhere with on the phone helpline, as I'm told I'm allegedly on the 'best deal'.  Maybe a case of having to be in the know first what you can ask for, before it can be 'unlocked'?

At least, it's becoming clearer all the time, as to how I stand.

@SKYTRACKER_24 wrote:

Hi xenon81,

Thanks for the extra information!  

Good to know I can end my Subscription & still receive, at least, the Freeview Channels on my Sky+ box (which may be counted as a very old SD box) ... without having to buy a special 'Viewing Card'.

But was most concerned about losing playback of the old Recordings if I were to end my Subscription, ... currently c£20/month with Signature Sky, I was able to sign up to, in not wanting a Sky Q box, & still have access to the Documentary Channels I preferred.  However, these are amongst what I've been notified I'll lose shortly, if I don't accept Sky Q, & faced with that, considered ending my Subscription altogether, but worry more about the 'cost' of losing replay of favourite old Recordings as well, I know I'll never be able to Record again, as so old.

That is, unless there's even a further reduced Subscription (like the £10/month you were referring to), I don't yet know about, but couldn't get anywhere with on the phone helpline, as I'm told I'm allegedly on the 'best deal'.  Maybe a case of having to be in the know first what you can ask for, before it can be 'unlocked'?

At least, it's becoming clearer all the time, as to how I stand.

@SKYTRACKER_24 

The  card to allow record/playback with Freesat channels would still loose the ability to playback channels that are not Free to Air - so if your recordings were from SKY channels that would not help

BTW What we we don't know for sure is whether your old recordings from channels that are switching  transmission format will still be accessible even if you carry on with a subscription but quite honnstly continuing subscribing for a reduced number of channels going forward to hang on to recordings that could be lost with a disk failure at any point seems rather expensive

If we put the old recordings to one side for the moment, what do ou want to watch going forward  - is it just the free to Air channels  or would prefer the channels that are part of the SKY subscription currently ?

One thing to bear in mind is that the BBC  has already moved to HD only and others could also change transmission type in future

SKYTRACKER_24
Topic Author

Hi nigea99,

Thanks for continuing to help!

You're quite right to think it would be no longer worthwhile to keep my present Subscription going, once the Documentary Channels I preferred, are eventually all cut back, for the sake of hanging on to a few old Recordings!  This was why I'd wondered about a 'secret' alternative that may be out there, to 'Superusers', to keep going with a minimal service at a more reduced rate, but guess it doesn't exist after all the responses I've had.  It's hard for me to come to terms with, especially as I've been with Sky for decades & had hoped for more from Sky itself, for the rare few like me.

Basically, as I've a valid TV Licence, can watch the BBC Channels alternatively through my laptop via iPlayer etc, without having to switch my TV on.

As for Sky Channels, with my current Subscription, can presently use the 'Sky Go' App to access the Documentaries, again through my laptop, & don't need my TV to view or Record by.

However, as far as I'm aware, when it comes to accessing old Recordings on my Sky+ box, there are no known means via my laptop, & in order of what I'd miss, would be :

- the irreplaceable Recordings 1st (which would be from Sky Channels), then

- the Documentaries, & lastly

- 'Freeview', which has alternative access.

Hope this helps to provide answers you were looking for, to be able to further assist me, if possible.

With Thanks again!,

NB  When the time does finally arrive to dispose of my Sky+ box, what would be the best way to ensure

Protection of Privacy? - though nothing recorded beyond what would be classed as 'U' Certificate

(or 'Family rated').

@SKYTRACKER_24 wrote:

Hi nigea99,

Thanks for continuing to help!

You're quite right to think it would be no longer worthwhile to keep my present Subscription going, once the Documentary Channels I preferred, are eventually all cut back, for the sake of hanging on to a few old Recordings!  This was why I'd wondered about a 'secret' alternative that may be out there, to 'Superusers', to keep going with a minimal service at a more reduced rate, but guess it doesn't exist after all the responses I've had.  It's hard for me to come to terms with, especially as I've been with Sky for decades & had hoped for more from Sky itself, for the rare few like me.

Basically, as I've a valid TV Licence, can watch the BBC Channels alternatively through my laptop via iPlayer etc, without having to switch my TV on.

As for Sky Channels, with my current Subscription, can presently use the 'Sky Go' App to access the Documentaries, again through my laptop, & don't need my TV to view or Record by.

However, as far as I'm aware, when it comes to accessing old Recordings on my Sky+ box, there are no known means via my laptop, & in order of what I'd miss, would be :

- the irreplaceable Recordings 1st (which would be from Sky Channels), then

- the Documentaries, & lastly

- 'Freeview', which has alternative access.

Hope this helps to provide answers you were looking for, to be able to further assist me, if possible.

With Thanks again!,

NB  When the time does finally arrive to dispose of my Sky+ box, what would be the best way to ensure

Protection of Privacy? - though nothing recorded beyond what would be classed as 'U' Certificate

(or 'Family rated').

Hi @SKYTRACKER_24 

Thanks for that.

It is difficult for us to know what is best for you as only  you know what you watch overall and the value you place on any specific channels.

I am trying to find out for sure what will happen to old recordings on the channels switching when the SKY SD channels change but as I have indicated I am fairly confident that  recordings from the channels that are changing won't be available to watch anymore on your SD box.

To be honest you are very lucky that it has never failed on you as theSD only boxes  are very old now.

Moving to SKY Q is SKY's preferred solution but it is quite a different beast and may not suit you - 

You may wish to read some notes I have made for people considering switching from SKY +/HD to SKY Q

SKY +/HD to SKY Q

To continue to watch the SKY SD channels that are changing then, as advised you could buy a second hand HD box from the likes of Ebay - although as discussed this does loose all your recordings and there is no guarantee how long it would last but it would enable you to continue with all the channels  you currently have

Personally I don't think it would be worth continuing your Subscription if you don't switch to a second hand SKY HD box or SKY Q but it does depend on how much you value the recordings & which ones will still be accessible

If you drop your SKY subscription  then your current SD box can be used to watch the Free To Air channels  live (no acces to record or playback) but  the BBC has already switched and others my follow in the not too distant future 

I know this is not what you would prefer but hopefully it gives you food for though for your way forward

SKYTRACKER_24
Topic Author

Hi nigea99,

Appreciating your further Reply!  

Really, I'm not so bothered about making new Recordings, as there isn't so much around these days as before to interest me enough to want to Record anyway, hence being happy enough to watch on my laptop.

And being honest, & this may shock you ... 😮, but I have to admit I hardly go on the Sky+ box itself!!, which is probably why it's kept going longer than expected!  I view it like a book to turn to for reference, if I wanted to back to look at something again, & also have it there handy, if the occasion ever arose where I wanted to show something in particular to visitors.   Otherwise, without having access to the old Recordings, it will become redundant & a useless piece of kit I wouldn't know what to do with, which would be sad ... bar 'Freeview', of course.

I think I've said from the outset, that moving to Sky Q is not an option for me (only a loan arrangement), which is why I've desperately wanted to keep going in some way, shape or form, the existing Sky+ box if I could, until it packs up.  But, it's seeming more & more likely, there's no alternative to what I have now, other than falling back on a 2nd Hand HD box.

And, if & when the time comes, & all else fails, & I have say 'Goodbye' to the said Sky+ box after all, I would also like to ask, how it may be properly disposed of, & still keep Privacy protected, though nothing to be ashamed of, was ever Recorded.  In other words, strange to say, would anyone else be able to access my old Recordings, though I couldn't?  How ironic would that be!

So, still keenly interested in any further views you may have on this matter.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@SKYTRACKER_24 there's no personally identifiable information on the Sky box's hard disk. There might be information on the Viewing Card  that identifies your viewing permissions but I don't think there's anything more than that. Just remove the Viewing Card when you dispose of the box. Recordings from free to air channels are stored in clear, others are encrypted and need the key stored on the Viewing Card to decrypt them.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion