Discussion topic: Are Sky discontinuing Sky channels on Sky+ boxes

This message was authored by DurhamE This message was authored by: DurhamE

Are Sky discontinuing Sky channels on Sky+ boxes

My 91 year old mum has a perfectly working sky + box but is now receiving messages on screen saying she will soon lose her sky channels. We contacted Sky who said she needs to upgrade to Sky Q but mum would not be able to cope with the changes easily. Does anyone know if Sky are actually discontinuing services to Sky+ or are they just trying to get her to upgrade?

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Are Sky discontinuing Sky channels on Sky+ boxes

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DurhamE  Easiest solution is to purchase a second hand Sky+HD (DRX890 or 895)box aroun £30 ish from ebay etc. the menus would be the same and they would retain access to the SD channels that are changing transmission parameters, the older Sky+ boxes can't see the upgraded format hence the messages you will see.

Do you know which box they have?

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

The oldest, non-HD Sky+ boxes will soon start to lose channels. 

If she has a Sky+HD box it won't be affected and will continue to receive all channels. 

DurhamE
Topic Author
This message was authored by DurhamE This message was authored by: DurhamE

@GD1 yes it is the original Sky+ box without HD. I may even have on if the sky+ with HD boxes, Donyou know if her Sky card will work with it?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

It should do, but she will need to 'pair' the Viewing Card and replacement box. If the box isn't connected to the Internet,  she may be able to do that separatel   online, or if necessary give Sky a call and they'll do it.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-viewing-card-help-activate-plus

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

The menu system on a Sky+ box is very different to Sky+ HD box😉

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DurhamE wrote:

Does anyone know if Sky are actually discontinuing services to Sky+ or are they just trying to get her to upgrade?

Following the lead set by Sky’s German division, Sky is reconfiguring some SD services to run on DVB-S2 transponders. This means that older DVB-S only receivers – i.e. the original generation Sky digiboxes and Sky+ boxes will cease to receive services.

https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/19700/news/sky-confirms-wider-switch-off-of-sd-channels-coming-in-20... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion