Cancelling after 18 plus years

Researcher
Post 1 of 57

Cancelling after 18 plus years

I've just cancelled my Sky subscription after 18 plus years as I couldn't afford it.  I've been paying £62 for TV (basic entertainment package & box sets), Phone and Broadband and was surprised that when I asked to cancel the best offer I was given to stay was £52.  I had expected a more competitive attempt by Sky to keep me as a customer especially given the deals new customers have on offer.  I would like to hear if any other longstanding VIP customers have had similar or better/worse expereinces when they have cancelled.

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 57

Re: Cancelling after 18 plus years

Sit tight. Chances are you'll be offered some more enticing deals over the course of the next few weeks.

Boom Operator
Post 3 of 57

Agree with previous post.  Sit tight.  Virgin are shedding about a dozen or so UK channels. (https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jul/22/four-million-virgin-media-customers-lose-uktv-channels...)

I left Vm as they were £65 wanting to go up to £75 in March!.  

While I am a new Sky customer they offer more TV, flexability and are the only provider with  VIP rewards.  Whilst these may not be great to some its better than nothing at all.   

Oracle
Post 4 of 57

@Toshmil

Your choice, obviously, but £52 looks like pretty good value to me: just phone and ADSL broadband from BT would cost you about £20 each, so you'd be getting the TV element for £12.

Yes, 'new' customers get discounts, because those are incentives to join up.  No company drops established subscriber rates to match incentive rates: they'd end up loss-making.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Researcher
Post 5 of 57

In the same boat. Nearly 30 years with sky paying top package apart from 7 months caused by house move.

I called to cancel yesterday. I am on unlimited broadband and full tv package. Asked for the tv package to be removed as can no longer justify paying over £120 a month. I will now be left paying £40 a month just for broadband and line rental.

I suffer from extreme anxiety and am not good on the phone at explaining things. I however think I have just discovered on sky's main page that I can upgrade broadband to fibre unlimited for £25 a month for 18 months and then it goes up to £39 a month which is still less than the £40 I will be paying just for basic unlimited broadband and line rental. I could be wrong so can anyone tell me if I can get fibre for £25 a month including the line rental instead of paying the £40 for what is a poorer service.

I also seen that for 18 months I can get fibre unlimited and entertainment pack tv for £40 which then goes up to £65 after 18 months. If this is the case I can't understand why I wasn't offered either the £25 without tv or the £40 with tv but instead told I will be paying £40 just for broadband and phone.

Sorry of this doesn't make sense and is long. As I said I have extreme anxiety and talking is not one of my strong points. I just hate the thought of paying over the odds for something that I could be paying less for a better package. 

Actually thinking of canceling broadband and phone altogether and taking out the basic fibre and tv deal with bt as it seems the better option for me now. 

Researcher
Post 6 of 57

I too am unhappy with the increases.  I’m with sky ireland and to deter me from cancelling I have discovered all contact numbers to sky are blocked. I can only contact them on a mobile phone but not my landline.  They insist they need to hear from me to cancel the contract which takes about 30 mins. altogether.  Very very disturbing to know they are empowered to block their numbers from a  sky talk customer with no outstanding accounts. 

Researcher
Post 7 of 57

Overdrive, try looking at Vodafone, they have excellent Broadband packages with no line rental charges. I changed from Sky recently and have had no issues of any kind. 

Researcher
Post 8 of 57

shocking !!!

Oracle
Post 9 of 57

@sueroche wrote:

shocking !!!

Hi Smiley Happy Would you care to elaborate on your exclamation?

Researcher
Post 10 of 57

Just an update for any one who wondered how this finished.  I ended up staying with Sky but only for Phone and Line Rental with Broadband for £25 per month.  Not the best deal, but I was happy to pay a little extra (compared to some of the current broadband deals) to save the hassle of switching provider.  Sky made a few attempts with offers to keep my custom for the TV services, but none as close to the deals they were offering new customers which were about £40 for TV/Phone/Broadband and included the Sky Q hardware.  None of Sky's offers to me ever included Sky Q hardware as a replacement for my aging Sky+ HD box.  I currently have a contract free Now TV subscription which gets me the few Sky TV shows I still want to watch plus I'm pleasantly surprised to discover that Freeview and the catchup services give me everything else I need.

Oracle
Post 11 of 57

@Toshmil wrote:

Just an update for any one who wondered how this finished.  I ended up staying with Sky but only for Phone and Line Rental with Broadband for £25 per month.  Not the best deal, but I was happy to pay a little extra (compared to some of the current broadband deals) to save the hassle of switching provider.  Sky made a few attempts with offers to keep my custom for the TV services, but none as close to the deals they were offering new customers which were about £40 for TV/Phone/Broadband and included the Sky Q hardware.  None of Sky's offers to me ever included Sky Q hardware as a replacement for my aging Sky+ HD box.  I currently have a contract free Now TV subscription which gets me the few Sky TV shows I still want to watch plus I'm pleasantly surprised to discover that Freeview and the catchup services give me everything else I need.

Glad to see your happy with your new set up. 

Camera Assistant
Post 12 of 57

Hi, Toshmil, I too had the very same aggro from Virgin, I had been a VIP customer of theirs for over 20 years, They then kept cancelling an Engineer. we booked, and then had the cheek to say we had cancelled, I lost my rag and told them to shove it, We are now with Sky.

Runner
Post 13 of 57

Hi. I have Sky basic entertainment, broadband unlimited and Sky talk inc. anytime evening at weekend for £43. Seems unreasonable you have been quoted so much as the advertisement on TV is less than mine. I've been with them about 18 years or more too. I will cancel if it gets any more expensive though. 

Camera Assistant
Post 14 of 57

I don't mind if it is expensive, I don't pay my daughter does, But the thing is, If you are a valued Customer and have been with a company such as this, for over 20 years, I would expect much better customer support, and my problem fixed within a reasonable time, Not to cancel my Engineer which we waited for 3 weeks for, I was so angry with them for doing that, I told them, they did not like it, but hey, if they value your custom, then there should be no problem.

Runner
Post 15 of 57

I am in exactly the same position. With Sky for 10+ years and my bill for Feb was going to be £108 for TV, phone and broadband. (I don’t have sports). 

The absolute best they could offer was £78 and that was reducing my pack but keeping movies and agreeing to another 18 month contract. I couldn’t justify it so I reluctantly and sadly cancelled. 

I have heard stories of people getting super discount deals from Sky but I never been offered anything of note. It is such a shame. 

Recommended Threads