Discussion topic: sky stream keeps freezing

This message was authored by tommyv57 This message was authored by: tommyv57

sky stream keeps freezing

our sky stream keeps freezing

All Replies

This message was authored by tmtr This message was authored by: tmtr

Re: sky stream keeps freezing

Me too - think it is a long standing issue - I've seen many posts about it - non with a working solution - I'm thinking of quitting - it's an expensive service to accept anything like this

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@tommyv57 @tmtr 

Sky Stream relies entirely on fast & stable broadband. If you don't have that then your experience will be poor. What speed do you get? 

tommyv57
Topic Author
This message was authored by tommyv57 This message was authored by: tommyv57

Full fibre from bt.900mbps I bel

This message was authored by RobH82 This message was authored by: RobH82

Wireless or wired (ethernet)?

"Research before you buy"
This message was authored by MissllV This message was authored by: MissllV

I have the same issue with both stream boxes.  The excuse was poor WiFi (their fibre, box about 2m away with nothing in between).  So we are now connected by an ethernet cable and have the same issues.  It's like the stream boxes are still in pilot stage as we have had many calls to technical and complaints and they are stumped!  Other box has same issues, not as often, on WiFi, bit it also buzzes/beeps co stantly when not watching anything so needs to be I plugged when not on!   (It is on hard surface with nothing around it).  

We are thinking of ending contract as well as the old skyhd was much better! 

This message was authored by Fromelad This message was authored by: Fromelad

Have started having the same issue in the last few days. The user guide and menus are still work but when I select a channel it just loads a frozen screen picture. I'm pretty sure it's now doing this following a update. The only way I can fix it is by removing the power cable. 

Anyone know what is going on?

This message was authored by Pdh10 This message was authored by: Pdh10

Getting fed up with sky streaming keep freezing. 5 times in last hour. It is connected by ethernet cable direct to my virgin super hub with over 700mb speed. 

has anyone had any success with sky?

This issue seems to have gone away for me now. Every now and then (maybe once every two week) my Sky Stream seems to have this freeze issue and taking the power cable out the back of the box for 30 seconds seems to resolve the issue once it has rebooted. I was having it freeze almost daily but as I said that doesnt seem to be happening anymore. I would recommend if you have your Sky Stream box connected directly to a router via ethernet cable to also enable wifi as well as that seemed to improve things for me as well.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Fromelad in most situations it is advised to turn wifi off if using ethernet as the pucks tend to prioritise wifi on restart. Given wifi  is subject to problems around jitter from interference it is sensible to force the unit to connect over ethernet which is immune from that issue..

There is no issue with the puck requiring more bandwidth than the 100Mb/s that is the limit over ethernet as effectively the maximum bandwidth it ever uses tops out around 50Mb/s

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee I can only go on what has worked for me. My connection seems to be much more stable with wifi and ethernet enabled on both my Sky Stream Boxes which are connected to my eero routers. 

My cousin works at sky and it was her that recommended I try this.

This message was authored by Floydianslip This message was authored by: Floydianslip

@Pdh10 Do you use the router your ISP provided? I bought an Asus AX3000 wifi 6 router to replace the router my ISP provided and guess what, no issues at all with buffering. I have 4 pucks around the house and they all perform without any issues and all are connected by wifi. Worth thinking about!

This message was authored by tmtr This message was authored by: tmtr

Sky's attitude appears to be the same as Apple - by not responding they're not acknowledging there is an issue and therefore under no obligation to resolve it - welcome to 21st Century🙄

This message was authored by Pdh10 This message was authored by: Pdh10

I have just checked the settings and the Wi-Fi was ticked to on but I have never connected this way so have turned it off for now to see if this makes a difference. 

Thanks

This message was authored by bydandie This message was authored by: bydandie

Have you raised a complaint with Sky?

Sky Stream
LG 55" G2 OLED
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin v360

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion