Discussion topic: channels like Dave Ja Vu on Sky Stream

This message was authored by Jankerry This message was authored by: Jankerry

channels like Dave Ja Vu on Sky Stream

I have had Sky Stream 1 day in use having moved from Virgin Media.

One feature I really liked, when turning on the TV and not liking what was broadcasting at that time was

1. Access to +1 channels ( sometimes great when planning splitting time between 2 channels)

2. The TV Guide alllowed be to view backwards to see what was on previously and view a programme that caught our eye.

Neither of these options appear to be available. Schedules going forward or backward is a great loss to the way I access TV.

Is there a way to see the TV Guide forward and backword?

The app U was announced to be available last month. When will it appear on Sky Stream?

Best Answers
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

Re: channels like Dave Ja Vu on Sky Stream

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

The theory behind not having the +1 channels is that they aren't required on a streaming based service as the normal channels all have a watch from start feature to start a programme late and catch-up services to watch the shows you have may missed.

The U app is coming for the Sky streaming platform, however even without the app the content is still available via Skys on-demand section. If you go to the Tv section and scroll down you will see a channel rail and that has the U& channels listed and shows the available on-demand content.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

The theory behind not having the +1 channels is that they aren't required on a streaming based service as the normal channels all have a watch from start feature to start a programme late and catch-up services to watch the shows you have may missed.

The U app is coming for the Sky streaming platform, however even without the app the content is still available via Skys on-demand section. If you go to the Tv section and scroll down you will see a channel rail and that has the U& channels listed and shows the available on-demand content.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Jankerry  To move forward when in the TV guide press the right hand side of the circle button on the strea m remote, left takes yo backwards but you can't go back beyond todays listings.

May be worth reading the very useful online guides here https://www.sky.com/help/home/sky-tv/sky-tv-stream/using-sky-stream

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Jankerry
Topic Author

Thank you for responding but I know the statements you are making as it is part of Sky's standard response. 

I understand Sky's reasoning of their TV Guide only going forward. I don't like it as the guide going backward as well as forwad has been a very useful tool for me in planning and seeing things that I may want to watch. One of the few things I think Virgin have done right.

Sky is great if you know what you want but is less friendly if you don't.

Jankerry
Topic Author

I know the guides and how it works. Perhaps I should not have used the word "forward" as part of wanting to go "forward and backward" in my desire for TV Guides. The absence of not being able to do both is a weakness IMHO when scanning on scheduled programming.

You may agree with scheduled programming becoming less important but I still like the idea in watching programmes the same time as others as well as having the benefit of picking programmes to watch when it suits my personal time table. 

I suppose it's one good reason to keep subscribing to the Radio Time

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Jankerry wrote:

Thank you for responding but I know the statements you are making as it is part of Sky's standard response. 

I understand Sky's reasoning of their TV Guide only going forward. I don't like it as the guide going backward as well as forwad has been a very useful tool for me in planning and seeing things that I may want to watch. One of the few things I think Virgin have done right.

Sky is great if you know what you want but is less friendly if you don't.

I guess its just Sky's way of doing things. Sky's method of finding content you may want to watch is based on their recommendation algorithms and the suggestions that will display on the Home page, based on what you have previously watched. I guess its more of a decision looking to the future, as more and more traditional linear channels close and the majority of content moves to a streaming/on-demand platform.

I also suspect that the global nature of the streaming platform product plays a part in some of their decisions, which perhaps in the UK and Ireland market is different to what we are used to. This streaming product is designed and built by Comcast and is effectively used globally by all their various subsidaries so some of the decisions made in the product would be made with Comcast's global market in mind.

NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion