Discussion topic: WiFi vs Ethernet

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

WiFi vs Ethernet

Hey all, is it better to run through Ethernet or WiFi?

I was wondering if I run through WiFi (500mbps) vs Ethernet (90mbps)?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316 Answer

Re: WiFi vs Ethernet

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

IMHO 

I used to run through powerline adapters but suffered from network dropouts occasionally.....

I made the switch to WiFi and find the system much more stable. Granted my router is in the same room as my glass tv. 

A lot depends on a decent wifi setup throughout the rest of your home. I have virgins pod setup through my house which is a fairly decent mesh wifi system.

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316 Answer

IMHO 

I used to run through powerline adapters but suffered from network dropouts occasionally.....

I made the switch to WiFi and find the system much more stable. Granted my router is in the same room as my glass tv. 

A lot depends on a decent wifi setup throughout the rest of your home. I have virgins pod setup through my house which is a fairly decent mesh wifi system.

43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

As long as you've got a strong and stable WiFi connection giving good speeds, it shouldn't make a difference. 

The Pucks data connection will max out at 100mbps on either connection 

Super+Anthony
Topic Author
This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Thank you both

@Nigelb1972  so are you saying that even if my WiFi is 500 speed, it won't make any difference?

I choose the cable route as I was told it's more reliable?

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@Super+Anthony nope. The puck only has 100mbps network adapter which is still way more than it needs. We've also got a 500mbps connection it barely gets dented by Sky Stream even when we're streaming UHD with Atmos which means we've got plenty of bandwidth available for other stuff to use... 

Super+Anthony
Topic Author

Thanks @Nigelb1972 so I should keep as is?

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Super+Anthony wrote:

Thank you both

@Nigelb1972  so are you saying that even if my WiFi is 500 speed, it won't make any difference?

I choose the cable route as I was told it's more reliable?

It will show faster speed in your Netflix speed check. 

the system theoretically doesn't use a lot more than 35mb maximum when streaming uhd. There's some posts with real world testing that suggest it doesn't reach anywhere near that. 

I would give the WiFi a go .... you can always plug it back in if you encounter any issues 

@Super+Anthony if it's working without an issues? You might as well. Mines only connected via Ethernet because I was tinkering and now can't be bothered to unplug it. The one upstairs is on WiFi though and sits on an 80mbps connection nicely 

@Jporch316 I've ran speed tests which I'm watching UHD with HDR and Atmos and Sky Sports F1, football and movies and get close to 30mbps. Netflix never goes above 15- 20mbps but they run heavy compression 

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Netflix have high optimisation compression rather "heavy" compression wihich supplies high quality at lower data rates than other services😉

Exiled in HH
Super+Anthony
Topic Author

Thank you @Jporch316 

Super+Anthony
Topic Author

Sorry, how do I change go WiFi? I am neurodivergent so if you can give me clear step by step instructions, that would be awesome

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Super+Anthony wrote:

Sorry, how do I change go WiFi? I am neurodivergent so if you can give me clear step by step instructions, that would be awesome

If I remember just pull out the cable and it will eventually say "no network connection ". After that just follow the prompts on screen to add your WiFi network. I believe the easiest method is just use the wps. Otherwise it's a case of typing in your network key 

Super+Anthony
Topic Author

Thanks. 

This message was authored by Floydianslip This message was authored by: Floydianslip

@Super+Anthony 

Are you using your own router or the router your ISP provided? Most ISP provided routers are basic and just about do the job, if you want good WiFi range and stability it's worth considering buying your own.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion