Discussion topic: Why isn’t talking pictures available?

This message was authored by Hungary1 This message was authored by: Hungary1

Why isn’t talking pictures available?

Just set up sky stream....channel for talking pictures not there...very disappointed to say the least...considering cancelling!!

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Why isn’t talking pictures available?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hungary1 presumably the channel owners do not think its worth the cost involved apparently its a very small operation and its their decision not Sky's. There is a list of channels on and not on the platform is here https://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-channel-list-sky-glass

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by A+JW This message was authored by: A+JW

Talking Pictures isn't on Sky Stream currently. You'd have to contact the channel to find out why. 

sky does publish what channels aren't on Sky Stream on their site at https://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-channel-list-sky-glass#not-available

A Sky Stream customer. Trying to improve Sky Stream / Glass because its potential is fantastic.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@Hungary1 presumably the channel owners do not think its worth the cost involved apparently its a very small operation and its their decision not Sky's. There is a list of channels on and not on the platform is here https://www.sky.com/help/articles/tv-channel-list-sky-glass

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Hungary1 @Why didn't you check the channels available before you took sky stream. Basics 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
Hungary1
Topic Author
This message was authored by Hungary1 This message was authored by: Hungary1

Thanks j +G... not my doing ...wife did it cos of perceived bad signal in her walk in wardrobe with Virgin... but if a foot stamping before reason I think 🤷‍♂️

This message was authored by nmbailey This message was authored by: nmbailey

It's channel 82 on Freeview, so if you have a TV aeriel dig out your TV's remote and watch it there maybe?

This message was authored by Freddie+Hayward This message was authored by: Freddie+Hayward

Hi Guys, A friend of mine has told me that Talking Pictures is now available on Virgin Stream, do we think it will soon be available on Sky Stream?

This message was authored by Ripleys_Cat This message was authored by: Ripleys_Cat

@Freddie+Hayward wrote:

Hi Guys, A friend of mine has told me that Talking Pictures is now available on Virgin Stream, do we think it will soon be available on Sky Stream?

We have no idea. Sky reveal nothing about changes to channel availability. 

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

Virgin media have added over 150 channels to their stream service over the past week. Effectively their stream service now replicates their normal cable tv service and yes it includes channels such as talking pictures tv, that's tv, Viaplay sports channels, and all the  +1 channels and sky sports in UHD. The decision I would suggest not to have certain channels on Sky stream lies firmly at the feet of Sky if Virgin have them on board with a smaller subscriber base, than this show broadcasters such as TPTV clearly have an appetite. The main problem with the Virgin stream box is twofold. You have VM broadband and you can only have one box. The FW and RW works so much better on VM stream box, it's brilliant, it has a similar playlist and pretty much the apps that Sky has with the exception of Discovery plus, however it does have PLUTO Tv, some of the channels from PLUTO are even integrated in to the EPG. It's cheap too, Sky sports in HD is £18.75 a month with an  ULTRA add on price of £6.30. TNT Sports is £16.20 in 4K, the base pack of entertainment channels is £13.50, although you can use the box for free with the basic Freeview channels, 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by nmbailey This message was authored by: nmbailey

You forgot to mention that Virgin Stream doesn't have Sky Atlantic.
I quit Virgin last year after 25 years as a customer - frequent outages, shocking customer service and exorbitant price rises drove me away. Their technology has always been clunky and buggy and we never saw the broadband speeds we paid for. Cannot recommend but each to their own. 

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

The other thing to note with Virgin is that they are broadcasting exclusively over their own network, so may face less barriers than Sky. As a result virgins streaming isn't available to me as I'm not in their service area!

I do think we should see an acceleration of services coming to Glass/Stream especially if end or reduction of satellite services is on the horizon.

MikeAlanR 

————
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and BT FTTP 900 (circa 1.2 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.

@nmbailey @I have had virgin media 1 gig for two years - I get and always received near 1 gig solidly. I have the Virgin stream box - it is much more solid than the sky box. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

@mikealanr @I made reference to fact that you need Virgin broadband to receive Virgin stream in my post 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

@nmbailey Virgin have sky showcase channel - some of Atlantic programming is now on this. Plus i can't remember that last time i watched anything on Atlantic. It's full of repeats 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

@Jason+Golding 

You're missing my point a little. Virgin have a cable network and broadcast channels over this network. Virgin might be able to take the feeds they have for their cable TV network and create the IPTV feed and broadcast this over their broadband network. I.e. they could be doing the work on behalf of the smaller channels. 

As Sky is available via all broadband suppliers they have more perimeters they have to deal with, and are likely to be to be using a CDN (content delivery network) of one of the big cloud providers. This means there are more variables for sky to deal with.

I.e. they have multiple parties to deal with and this could be because the sticking point, the legals can be a nightmare. I work in the tech sector and we are a big user of AWS, it has taken over 3 years to move from our own data centers to AWS, not because of technical reasons but because of multi party agreements.

I wonder if this extra dimension is partly the reasoning why not all channels are on Stream, rather than a pure technical reason.

Hope that makes sense.

MikeAlanR

————
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and BT FTTP 900 (circa 1.2 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion