Discussion topic: What type of TV do I need for Sky Stream?

This message was authored by Oldnwrinkly This message was authored by: Oldnwrinkly

What type of TV do I need for Sky Stream?

I have moved and cannot have a satellite dish. I have been offered Sky Stream but I think my TV is too old. What type of TV do I need to use Sky Stream?

Best Answers
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

Re: What type of TV do I need for Sky Stream?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Oldnwrinkly  Any current smart TV will suffice, most will be 4K resolution in any case.

If you want access to Freeview via an outdoor aerial then the latest sets from Hisense have Freely (which is the next generation of Freeview).

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

@Oldnwrinkly  Any current smart TV will suffice, most will be 4K resolution in any case.

If you want access to Freeview via an outdoor aerial then the latest sets from Hisense have Freely (which is the next generation of Freeview).

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by nmbailey This message was authored by: nmbailey

Stream connects to a TV using an HDMI cable. If your TV only has SCART then you will need a converter - I've no experience of using one but they're cheap and easily found on Amazon etc

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Oldnwrinkly 

In theory any 'UHD', 'Full HD' or even 'HD Ready' flat panel television set, although the latter in particular is now best avoided.

Realistically a brand-name UHD television manufactured since 2020 is most likely to be problem free.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Oldnwrinkly
Topic Author
This message was authored by Oldnwrinkly This message was authored by: Oldnwrinkly

Thanks all!

Oldnwrinkly
Topic Author

Thanks 

This message was authored by NeilC3 This message was authored by: NeilC3

It doesn't seem to be true that any TV works.

For context, I used to use the Now app on a different TV stick, but I've switched to sky stream.

For Sky's uhd content, my brand new qled TV chooses hlg mode and it is too dark/washed out. The only remedy seems to be to manually tweak the picture, which is very difficult. I have a Toshiba 43qa model and I've read that Samsung TV's don't work sky's hlg either!

My old tv-stick supports Dolby Vision, but I cancelled my 6-month Now subscription to switch to Sky Stream and can't get a perfect picture like before.

If I go back to Now, I won't get the special deal I had and Ultra Boost is more expensive than before.

I can return my TV because it's so new, but I don't know which model to get. I want Quantum Dots, Dolby Vision but also Sky's HLG.

Can anyone recommend a working 43" QLED Dolby Vision/HLG TV for Sky Stream?

I've read about rec 2020 support which my current TV doesn't have. But I can't find which models support that.

If there is no solution or better TV suggestion, I will have to switch back to Now TV if Sky will let me. That should be possible because I only ordered Sky Stream 5 days ago and activated it yesterday.

Thanks for any information/suggestions.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Oldnwrinkly 

I'd observe the 43QA is a c£250 model, and realistically you are probably going to spend rather more than that for decent HDR performance.  It's also still generally the case that smaller screen sizes are lower specification within the same product range: 55" and above is where manufacturers concentrate their better technology .

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion