Discussion topic: Sky sports f1 free to air channel

This message was authored by Jonathanphillip This message was authored by: Jonathanphillip

Sky sports f1 free to air channel

I'm very sure when I flicked through the channels formula 1 racing channel was free to watch as I saw it and it as been like that for a few days to watch it and now all of a sudden i went back to watching it and its back to subscription basis after I watched it for free and it was a free channel to watch my brother was watching it last week same as me very strange it was definitely a free channel to watch because I saw it same as the horse racing channel unless its free to a certain time and they put it back to subscription basis 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mick+the+pop This message was authored by: Mick+the+pop Answer

Re: Sky sports f1 free to air channel

We also have been recieving F1 Channel FREE as a legacy channel until yesterday, when we got a message saying we need to subscribe. I have phoned sky today to be told that an email was sent out saying that the free legacy F1 channel will now be only available if we purchase a full sky sports subscription 😡 we never received any emails ..to which they said it was a glitch that not everyone recieved the emails.

I am not willing to pay £20  a month just to watch  F1 ( although they would do deal of (£14.99)

We have been with sky since the start in 1989...guess loyalty counts for nothing

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jonathanphillip  There are no FTA channels on Sky stream where you have posted this.  Channels either work (with a sub) or the puck is useless without them.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Jonathanphillip  The last race before this weekend was the British GP which was available free on channel 4 or sky showcase so that is probably what you and your brother saw and watched 

There may be the odd other race here and their shown as above, but in general 

all other races are exclusive to sky sports f1 which requires an additional subscription 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jonathanphillip 

Sky pays Liberty Media several hundred million pounds a season for exclusive live rights to F1, and so charges a subscription to view it.

A small minority of Sky satellite television customers have 'free' F1 going back many years when it was a promotion to encourage HD take-up, but that typically doesn't survive the transition to Glass/Stream.

As noted above, the British GP is actually free.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mick+the+pop This message was authored by: Mick+the+pop Answer

We also have been recieving F1 Channel FREE as a legacy channel until yesterday, when we got a message saying we need to subscribe. I have phoned sky today to be told that an email was sent out saying that the free legacy F1 channel will now be only available if we purchase a full sky sports subscription 😡 we never received any emails ..to which they said it was a glitch that not everyone recieved the emails.

I am not willing to pay £20  a month just to watch  F1 ( although they would do deal of (£14.99)

We have been with sky since the start in 1989...guess loyalty counts for nothing

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

The F1 Channel was never free ... it was conditionally part of a subscription pack🤔

I had that legacy pack in the past and when I cancelled that legacy pack I lost the F1 channel😉

Exiled in HH
Jonathanphillip
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jonathanphillip This message was authored by: Jonathanphillip

That makes sense that that's what I must have seen then  cheers for that clear Up 👍 free legacy channel formula 1  then it went back to subscription only that's what I saw on screen now its all making sense 

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

@Mick+the+pop they offered you a 25% discount.. that's a pretty good loyalty discount.

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@Jonathanphillip wrote:

That makes sense that that's what I must have seen then  cheers for that clear Up 👍 free legacy channel formula 1  then it went back to subscription only that's what I saw on screen now its all making sense 

Although it was never FREE it was part of a pack for which you were PAYING a subscription😉

Getting a 25% offer is a good retension  discount🤔

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Mick+the+pop This message was authored by: Mick+the+pop

Yes 25% is a good discount but not if I havnt been paying any extra the last few years. And I'd be paying 14.99 for 1 channel seeing as i dont watch any other sports except rugby 6 nations worl cup which i can watch on other channels( I was told by sky i could keep F1 free the last 2 times I have changed my subscription, thats why i said free, my subscription hasnt changed) I'll just watch f1 highlights on another channel.

🙂

You will have changed your subscription when the legacy pack was cancelled/withdrawn😉

That happened when Sky introduced a lower cost HD pack for Sky entertainment subscribers, and made HD standard for Sports subscribers🤔

Exiled in HH

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion