Discussion topic: Sky Puck taking 5 minutes and 20 seconds to start, why?

This message was authored by Alexiow This message was authored by: Alexiow

Sky Puck taking 5 minutes and 20 seconds to start, why?

Hello everyone. I've noticed that my Sky Puck is extremely slow when starting up for the first time every day. It's Currently taking 5 minutes and 20 seconds just to boot up? My old Windows 98 pc never even took that long! I have a new Puck less than 6 months old and a fibre optic up and down load speed of 356Mbps. My Puck is connected with high speed Cat8 cable to my router, it is not through the WiFi. There are other issues with it too, but I'll get this one sorted first. Thank you Alexiow.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1 Answer

Re: Sky Puck taking 5 minutes and 20 seconds to start, why?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Alexiow  Your bootup time does seem excessive.  As a test, I just turned mine off at the plug and switched it on again and it took 1 minute 20 seconds to come back to life again.

Personally I just turn the Stream puck and TV off with the remote and it boots up in the morning in around 10 - 15 seconds.  Try that tonight and see how it goes in the morning.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Either

Try a power reset of the puck, by removing the power or switching off at the socket for at least 30 seconds 

Or

On the puck

Go to Settings>System Management>Resets and Updates>Restart Device
Press Select.

This will do a restart of the puck (this is a new function with the latest Q28 fiirmware build that has just gone out to all customers this last month).
It will take a few minutes to perform this restart before the puck is available to use again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream with two pucks (Former Sky Q and Sky+ customer), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

Alexiow
Topic Author

Thank you for this information. I've done the update to 28 and I'll see if it's done the job tomorrow morning after being turned off all night. I appreciate your input thank you. 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Alexiow  In addition to the advise given by @lettice I would also go into the setting menu and make sure that Networked Standby Mode is turned ON.  This stops the puck losing the network connection when it is in standby.

To find the relevant toggle switch go to Settings > Start up and standby menu.  Whilst there I would also turn off the overnight power saving.

Alexiow
Topic Author

The Network standby mode was already on but I did turn the overnight power saving off. I've just been out for over an hour and I always turn the power off things like the sky puck, but when I came home and turned it on it still took 3 minutes and 20 seconds to boot up? Although 2 minutes faster than last time, surely no one's else's puck is taking sooo long?

So far I'm seriously NOT impressed with this Sky puck!

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1 Answer

@Alexiow  Your bootup time does seem excessive.  As a test, I just turned mine off at the plug and switched it on again and it took 1 minute 20 seconds to come back to life again.

Personally I just turn the Stream puck and TV off with the remote and it boots up in the morning in around 10 - 15 seconds.  Try that tonight and see how it goes in the morning.

Alexiow
Topic Author

Yep that has seemed to have sorted the long delay out. Thanks guys for all your help.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion