Discussion topic: Can't activate Sky Stream as Sky Broadband hasn't been installed yet

This message was authored by MZ12 This message was authored by: MZ12

Can't activate Sky Stream as Sky Broadband hasn't been installed yet

Hi all We moved into a house where there was no broadband by the previous elderly owner, and as we are first time buyers we have no broadband provider to move with us. We bought Sky Stream and the puck arrived 2 weeks ago (didn't realise it required internet!) but our broadband isn't due to be installed until the 9th May. I have also had messages saying Openreach have had an issue and the broadband order is being cancelled but I can ring up and re order (eventually).... Basically I think I'm going to be billed for the Stream that I cannot physically activate as we dont have any broadband whatsoever, what do I do? We have a TV that we can't get anything on as our house has no aerial or phone socket, and the line that runs from the telegraph pole outside has previously been cut when they installed new windows.

All Replies

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: Can't activate Sky Stream as Sky Broadband hasn't been installed yet

@MZ12 

It's somewhat surprising that you didn't realise Sky Stream needed broadband - it's very clear on the product page on the website that it needs WiFi. 
All you can do is watch your subscription channels via the Sky Go app using your mobile phone's 4G/5G data connection. If you have enough data & a strong enough signal you can create a WiFi hotspot on your phone & connect the Stream puck to it that way.
Alternatively, cancel Sky Stream until your broadband is up & running then re-order it. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

So will you start being billed for Sky Stream as it will self activate 14 days after delivery if it hasn't already been activated.

Really in this situation where you have no broadband and you don't know when it will be installed you have 2 options. 1 is to cancel Sky Stream, which you can do penalty free within the first 31 days of your contract. 

The other option you could consider if you want to be able to watch TV is to phone Sky and ask if you can switch over to Sky Q. This would then lead to Sky arranging for an engineer visit for them to come and install Sky Q and put up a satellite dish if you don't have one. One thing to note is that there can be a couple of weeks wait to get an engineer visit booked for Sky Q but at least it would avoid you paying you a service you can't use, as Sky Q billing would start on the installation date.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

Only solution for now is cancel stream, subscribe to sky q,

Once the broadband situation is resolved, then upgrade to sky stream.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion