Discussion topic: Why aren't new film releases on Sky Store in UHD and/or Dolby Atmos?

This message was authored by Henleyite This message was authored by: Henleyite

Why aren't new film releases on Sky Store in UHD and/or Dolby Atmos?

Having just rented "Avengers: Infinity War" on Sky Store, I was once again disappointed to find that the best version of this latest blockbuster to rent was only in HD and Dolby Digital? Why is this? I am reminded that after paying a premium price to rent a newly released major film, that better versions (ie UHD, 3D, Dolby Atmos) are often released later?

This is particularly frustrating as the joy of waiting to watch the latest blockbuster on my Sky Q enabled and Dolby Atmos capable home cinema, is significantly diminished by not being able to view the film in UHD and Dolby Atmos! This is further compounded when the same film eventually appears on "free" Sky Cinema where the enhanced versions are made available.

I am bracing myself for a response from Sky about why this status quo exists, but I am actually trying to encourage Sky to change the status quo and to delight their premium Sky Q customers instead of disappointing us.

Come on Sky, work out how to get UHD and Dolby Atmos versions of the latest films on Sky Store immediately on release to enable us to download and view the very best digital versions.... otherwise Sky Q's enhanced sound and vision is totally wasted?

Kind regards,

A Very Frustrated Sky Q and Sky Store Customer

Adrian

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Dazzasky This message was authored by: Dazzasky

Re: Why aren't new film releases on Sky Store in UHD and/or Dolby Atmos?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Henleyite wrote:

Having just rented "Avengers: Infinity War" on Sky Store, I was once again disappointed to find that the best version of this latest blockbuster to rent was only in HD and Dolby Digital? Why is this? I am reminded that after paying a premium price to rent a newly released major film, that better versions (ie UHD, 3D, Dolby Atmos) are often released later?

This is particularly frustrating as the joy of waiting to watch the latest blockbuster on my Sky Q enabled and Dolby Atmos capable home cinema, is significantly diminished by not being able to view the film in UHD and Dolby Atmos! This is further compounded when the same film eventually appears on "free" Sky Cinema where the enhanced versions are made available.

I am bracing myself for a response from Sky about why this status quo exists, but I am actually trying to encourage Sky to change the status quo and to delight their premium Sky Q customers instead of disappointing us.

Come on Sky, work out how to get UHD and Dolby Atmos versions of the latest films on Sky Store immediately on release to enable us to download and view the very best digital versions.... otherwise Sky Q's enhanced sound and vision is totally wasted?

Kind regards,

A Very Frustrated Sky Q and Sky Store Customer

Hi @Henleyite I feel your frustration however it is not down to Sky I'm afraid but rather the film studios. 

Henleyite
Topic Author

Hi 

Thank you for commenting.

If your premise is correct, the Sky deal with the studios is perhaps one that needs to be enhanced?

We could also do with data from other members of the Sky Community to confirm or deny if other platforms such as Netfilx and AppleTV 4K etc have the same the same problem or if some of them already have better deals?

My motivation to post on this is to attempt to change the status quo.... Sky are not a small operation and should be helping to drive forward the industry. Sky Q is a good leap forward, but it is greatly diminished if they can's make suitable media available to take advantage of 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos.

I hope that more Sky Q customers comment on this?

Kind regards,

Henleyite.

Adrian
This message was authored by pauls+pc This message was authored by: pauls+pc

II have just purchest skyscraper on sky store ,and found out from a friend who was in hmv later that it is all so in dolby atmos witch it dosnt say on sky store like a lot of other movies only one sayin dolby atmos just now is fallout tom cruise .its a real pain they need to inform us better i have a dolby atmos to. Hope sky sort it out soon .

I agree with you i have been thinking the same thing for a while now , it should be in dolby atmos to rent as well as uhd on sky store.

Thats the same question i have been askin for a while now. Its time  we had an anser to it from sky store.

Henleyite
Topic Author

Just so that Sky know, I have started to purchase film new releases via Apple TV 4K as their new films that come out at the same time as the same film on Sky Store are indeed in 4K, Dolby Atmos and HDR. You are missing out Sky so time to fix this.

Adrian
This message was authored by Matty0308 This message was authored by: Matty0308

Get amazon prime, you can't rent and buy all sorts of UHD on there

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion