Discussion topic: Sky Sound Box Problems

This message was authored by LRnomicals This message was authored by: LRnomicals

Sky Sound Box Problems

HI,

Ive had my Sky sound Box a couple of days now and am having issues.

When I go to watch TV first thing in the morning im not getting any sound or picture coming thru.

I have to unplug the soundbox and plug it back in then switch it on again, sometimes a couple of times just to get things sorted.

Any help greatly apprieciatd.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by skinner1965 This message was authored by: skinner1965

Re: Sky Sound Box Problems

@LRnomicals wrote:

7YHGF4CE32W1Q

Nope not a clue what that means 🤷‍♂️

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Forum ban incoming!
This message was authored by squidgy1971 This message was authored by: squidgy1971

@LRnomicals wrote:

HI,

Ive had my Sky sound Box a couple of days now and am having issues.

When I go to watch TV first thing in the morning im not getting any sound or picture coming thru.

I have to unplug the soundbox and plug it back in then switch it on again, sometimes a couple of times just to get things sorted.

Any help greatly apprieciatd.

I’ve had the same thing happen a few times ,usually when changing from optical or Bluetooth back to  hdmi.

Try turning your TVs version on Bravia link off it maybe that intafering with the the handshake from the soundbox when it powers back on.

This message was authored by hambafrika This message was authored by: hambafrika

I have had my sound box since it’s release - I do this almost daily, so I would appreciate some information on what to do going forward too. 

This message was authored by skinner1965 This message was authored by: skinner1965

Make sure you have HDMI control on in TV settings. It’ll be called something else depending on make of TV

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Forum ban incoming!
This message was authored by Kei+M This message was authored by: Kei+M

Hi folks,

Appreciate the horse may have bolted on this one, but if people are still having issues we're looking to collate some examples of this. What we'll need is:-

• The TV make and model
  • The sound settings (DD, DD+, or Normal)
  • How the box is connected to the TV (i.e. via HDMI or optical and whether you've tried both)
  • How often it occurs and if you're able to reproduce it some instructions on how you can do this

Thanks,

Kei
Community Manager

This message was authored by RunBoyRun This message was authored by: RunBoyRun

I'm getting this almost daily. Did have a Sky Engineer out who replaced the Sky Q box but it's still happening. I've just treid to update the firmware but didn't seem to work or maybe didn't needed it? Haven't found any steps that reproduce the issue and the only fix is to power off the Sky Q box (not the soundbox). The Engineer did say to me if it happens again try unplugging the HDMI lead from the Soundbox and plug it directly into the TV and see if there is any picture / sound. I've tried this and can confirm there isn't.

What is also wiered is when you switch the Sky Q box off I then hear the sound from the channel the Sky Q box was on. If I then switch the Sky Q box back on the sound stops but I can use the remote to change the channel and then switch it off and then I hear the sound from that channel from the Sky Soundbox.

• The TV make and model
  • Samsung ue48ju6740
  • The sound settings (DD, DD+, or Normal)
  • DD
  • How the box is connected to the TV (i.e. via HDMI or optical and whether you've tried both)
  • Sky Q HDMI to Sky Soundbox, Sky Soundbox HDMI to TV, also TV Optical to Soundbox (for when using the XBox) , not tried with just Sky Q to TV and then using the Optial but then we wouldn't get the full benefit either right?
  • How often it occurs and if you're able to reproduce it some instructions on how you can do this
  • Some times daily, some times every other day, I kind of have a feeling it happens more when the TV hasn't been used in a 12+ hours

@Kei+M 

LRnomicals
Topic Author
This message was authored by LRnomicals This message was authored by: LRnomicals

Hi all. 

It seems that if you have an older series Samsung tv then the link between all three devices doesn't establish correctly. 

I have recently replaced my tv to a 7 series and now have no problems.

Before I replaced I found that if you switch on your sound box first followed by the tv, Then wait a couple of minutes before switching on your sky q box helps. ( 9 out of 10 ) times this worked.

This message was authored by JohnB62 This message was authored by: JohnB62

I have sky q mini, Panasonic tv, and have added an Amazon 4K stick to my hdmi 2 slot, I can’t get the amazon stick sound through the soundbox, the amazon stick is plugged into the tv, the Devilettes book if plugged into the sky box and the sky box is plugged into the tv, do I need to swap some hdmi things around? 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JohnB62 

Audio from anything plugged directly into the TV, or from an app running on the TV, can only reach the Soundbox via optical-out on the television to optical-in on the Soundbox: it doesn't have ARC functionality, so can't get audio back down the HDMI from the set.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by JohnB62 This message was authored by: JohnB62

There is no optical connector on my Panasonic plasma tv , this box wont work with this tv, thanks for the info.

This message was authored by KCH80 This message was authored by: KCH80

I have just changed my tv from a Panasonic 4k to LG Oled B8. Everything worked perfectly on the Panasonic, but the LG doesnt not find HDMI cable plugged into any of the HDMI ports when the TV has been off for a few hours, and the only way to fix this is unplug the SKY Q at the wall.. I purchased premium certified cables, and thought they might be the issue and reverted back to the old ones, that came with SKY Q 2TB and the Soundbox, but the same issue persists. Any suggestions?

This message was authored by squidgy1971 This message was authored by: squidgy1971

Premium cables won’t make any difference digital signals don’t suffer from any of the interference that analog cables do.

The only thing I can think of is to check that hdmi control is on under setting/audio visual,also check the hdmi setting on your tv.

I turned Bravia  link off on my Sony maybe LG’s version of that is bumming things up try turning it off.

This message was authored by Gas+Man This message was authored by: Gas+Man

I have had the sky sound box since lauch also, no issues for the first six months or so but since then each morning soundbox has to be switched off and then back on again at the mains.

It appears that as though even though the lights go through the correct sequence on the box the actual switching on of the signal to the tv is not happening until the box is turned off and then back on again at the mains. Occassionaly, I have to turn off not only the sound box but the whole of the sky Q system.

Sky engineer advised me that Sky are aware of the problem but not admitting to any, incase of a major recall program.

I guess discounted deals are not as good as what they seem when customers experience such issues.

This message was authored by AGeoff This message was authored by: AGeoff

I had my Sky Q box a week before  my Soundbox was delivered - there was a  bit of a learning curve adapting to Sky Q but everything worked smoothly & quickly.  Then I fitted the Soundbox  - what a  mistake!  My set up is  Sky Q 2Tb HDMI to Soundbox, Soundbox  HDMI to TV [Samsung UE48JU6445K]. TV optical to Soundbox [not used so far].

Now whenever my TV is switched to standby [SkyQ & Soundbox still on] for more than 20/30 minutes the whole system looses connectivity.  Before the soundbox I could wake the system up by pressing the SKY button on the remote - now the remote doesn't have any effect.  If I bring the TV out of standby the screen just goes black. and no amount of button  pressing on the remotes for either the TV or  the  Sky Q has any effect. The only solution is to power down the Sky Q box power  back up and let it reset itself which takes an age  to compared before  fitting the Soundbox.  I rang  Sky and after 50 mins wait to speak to someone I was told the problem was due to the Qbox not resetting after an update by  Sky, power off, power on and that should fix it  - it hasn't. I'm hacked off at having to reset the SkyQ box every time the TV has been on Standby for a few minutes, not looking forward to another  1/2 hr wait to talk to another Sky rep, don't fancy calling out an engineer because of the drop-out delay - I wish I'd never bought the  blasted thing - pity because the sound is good when its working but I can't be doing with the hassle.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion