sky box noise since update

Camera Assistant
Post 46 of 72

Re: sky box noise since update

@Badjester1 wrote:

Had a call back from a lady at Sky who had been passed the information that I had sent in. Since the other day my box has been on and off starting up so definitely needs swapped anyway. I don't know if this is due to the update or not. Once I had spoken to her I was passed through to a guy who works in the tech side of things. Got the impression he wasn't your average Sky techy as he was incredibly knowledgeable. I've spoken to Sky tech plenty lately and he seemed to know more. Obviously I've got an engineer coming anyway regardless, but I had mentioned there was a fan noise issue others were experiencing.

He mentioned that there should be an update more than likely around 2am tonight in prep for Netflix tomorrow. The background info for Netflix is there in the system info. But there'll be another one tonight and hopefully may sort out the constant noise on peoples boxes. He did mention that now Sky Q incorporates Netflix, Netlfix will be pushing hard for updates in future to keep things running smoothly. So he was hopeful the issue would be sorted by this or future near updates. I'll see what my new box brings or updates for that matter. Hopefully your boxes will return to being quiet after tonight *fingers crossed*

Netflix is now available but there was no update at 2am and the fan is still humming. Smiley Sad

Boom Operator
Post 47 of 72

i  checked my box this morning too, still making its noise (with no active recordings or anything).

So i checked for a software update too (there wasnt one) so i forced an update, which downloaded and installed, but afterwards it just reported the same software version as before (Q080.000.75.00L).,

...and of course its still making the same annoying NOISE.

Sound Supervisor
Post 48 of 72

Hi,

Just had chance to reply now. Yeah I can see that absolutely nothing was updated. Why he would say so if it wasn't going to happen beats me! Obviously it was just an update to features not software. Although my box has been coming on ok since the other day, I want it changed due to not switching on a few times. As for the fan noise, my own personal thoughts are that yes it was the update as we already know. One thing I've just witnessed myself that since I turned it onto ECO mode (I actually thought it was but it wasn't.) When it goes to sleep (red light) that's the only time the fan stops. Is this the same as everyone else's? Though it's when most will be in bed I know. I'm wondering whether the update contained software to keep the fan running intentionally. As some people are saying their box always got hot. Especially since they were prepping for Netflix.

I've got a case ID so I'll get back onto it. Disappointed as I thought I was getting good information but clearly not. Oh and when mine went into sleep mode and the fan stopped. I left it and yes it does go cool when in ECO mode and it shuts down for the night. When turned back on the fan starts immediately so it has nothing to do with the box being hot like I first thought. The fan just runs regarldess of whether it's cold or hot. I'm sure from my contact and others that they're aware of the issue now. I get what he means about likely to be more updates now as Netflix is included. Shame he wasn't correct about last night. 

Boom Operator
Post 49 of 72

it seems a new/replacement  box isnt going to fix this issue, 'Silvereye' posted a new thread about the noise from his newly installed 1Tb box.  https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Does-the-SkyQ-fan-run-all-the-time/m-p/2920618

I hope Sky bring out a fix for this as soon as possible.

Sound Supervisor
Post 50 of 72

From what I figured out myself by chance is it seemed to be an issue only when the box was connected to the internet. I reset my router the other day and before I set my connection on the q box back up I noticed it was quiet. It was upon setting the connection back up the noise started again. I wouldn't have bothered with an exchange if I was just getting that problem. Seems I was having other issues with the box. Yep fingers crossed they bang out an update. I'm ringing them later today anyway as I need to change the engineer date. So I'm guessing if it only makes noise with an internet connection it's continually searching or something in the background. Weird Smiley Frustrated

Runner
Post 51 of 72

I have the same problem  Sky Q 1T box about a month old started the constant humming in the last week or so.

Any fix yet please Sky?

Boom Operator
Post 52 of 72

I've just had a sky engineer out - he noticed/confirmed the constant fan humming. We tried a replacement 1TB box and that was exactly the same.

My new route is to see if they will send me a 2TB box - since that has an external power supply and I expect different cooling strategies.

Oracle
Post 53 of 72

@badgerman53 wrote:

I have the same problem  Sky Q 1T box about a month old started the constant humming in the last week or so.

Any fix yet please Sky?

Hi @badgerman53 Contact Sky to arrange an engineer call out!

Boom Operator
Post 54 of 72

An engineer call out isn't going to fix it, this is a bug on the latest software update on  all  the 1tb boxes. 

Thats unless Sky give us a free 2tb box instead....

Boom Operator
Post 55 of 72

Sky customer services have confirmed that currently they don't have any internal issues flagged relating to excessive fan noise from 1TB boxes following the Netflix update.

Camera Assistant
Post 56 of 72

Possibly not enough complaints yet, the TV tends to drown out the noise but when the TV isn't on it becomes irritating once you notice it. I've started putting my box in deep standby when i'm not watching TV to stop the noise but I shouldn't have to resort to this when there was no issue until the latest firmware update.

Deep standby: hold down the power button on the front of the box for 10 seconds then release. After about 30 seconds the box will go into deep sleep and all noise will stop. It won't make any recordings in this mode however and will take a while to wake up next time you use it.

Boom Operator
Post 57 of 72

Thanks for the Deep Standby tip. The fan noise is more annoying if I'm working from the house during the day, when nothing is recording, so I might just do that for those hours.

Boom Operator
Post 58 of 72

i called Sky to log this as a fault on my box today, but without booking and engineer,  so that they know there is a problem. 

When i explained the fault they suggested doing it this way , ie logging a fault which they will record as an issue, but without booking an engineer visit (yet) so it gets reported on their fault stats, (it made me wonder if in fact they are starting to be aware of it, but  just not admitting it yet until they get more reports)

if anyone else has the same issue i would suggest you do the same so that Sky are more aware it is a problem.

i hadn't  done this until now because i did not want to be given a replacement box, to lose my recordings, but then still be left with the same constant running fan noise issue.

Sound Supervisor
Post 59 of 72

They've got to be aware as I've spoken to God knows how many people now. Last I spoke he started doing exactly the same thing. Logging it under what sounded like some online drop down box  system they use to report issues. Changing the box doesn't and wont sort the fan noise like you say. It was when he said there wasn't anything logged under "noise" I said you must be joking. From my experience now it seems to be who you speak to and when. Unfortunately I'm having broadband issues now so it's kind of taken over the TV problem for now. But yeah people need to be calling them and logging it as it's obvious they work on a "wait until there's a large amount of calls" basis.

Boom Operator
Post 60 of 72

For interest I did a noise test on my old Sky+ box (using an app on my iphone, so usual caveats) - came in a 36dB when sitting there. My parents SkyQ box (1TB) sounded better than mine and it was 39db/40db.  My SkyQ box was 44dB.  

Whilst not a huge difference (well, 10%+), that's enough for the hum to be annoying and can be heard over some quiet parts of playback.

Given my parents box is quieter than mine, then I'm going to try for another engineer visit and box replacement before I give up and swap back to Sky+ (still in cooling off period after the switch).

Recommended Threads
28 minutes ago 12:53 AM
Oracle 33 minutes ago 12:48 AM
Oracle 40 minutes ago 12:41 AM
42 minutes ago 12:38 AM
Oracle 47 minutes ago 12:33 AM