Reply

sky box noise since update

Reply
First Assistant Director
Posts: 2,313
Post 31 of 70
850 Views

Re: sky box noise since update


@Badjester1 wrote:

Right ok folks I've emailed the CEO directly about this asking him to forward on the info to the relevant people to sort out asap. My box is going to end up burnt out at this rate!


But from your post above you say you have an Engineer visit on Friday. Just get them to swap box out. No execs required.

Sound Designer
Posts: 62
Post 32 of 70
842 Views

Re: sky box noise since update

I literally don't understand that logic at all. I'll explain slowly... My box like many others it seems updated (I was watching TV and it went off updated and came back on.) Ever since it's been whirring very hard and getting extremely hot. I spoke to Sky, I've tried resetting the box etc etc. Yes an engineer is all well and good. You do realise I'll have the same hardware with same software right? So I'm not really getting why a new box would get rid of the issue with the dodgy update? I'm all up for tyring it but I can't see how two of the same boxes with the same software would respond differently to a buggy update.? All other avenues like rebooting, resetting etc were tried. It's over the weekend that I discovered it was becoming hot like HOT!

 

What I haven't mentioned as didn't think it necessary... Is that I've spoken to Sky a few times since asking how to speak to or get the problem mentioned to the relevant people. You know? The people who roll out the updates. Nobody can remotely advise me who these people may be. The noise I could live with for now, The fact I can't leave my box on to record anything renders it useless! It gets BURNING hot! So instead of waffling on here on the forums (ironically like now responding) I thought I'd get something done instead of just complaining here! I haven't complained to him, what I've done is explained that I and others have received an update which has caused a problem. However my problem seeming a little more serious due to the fact it's getting so hot. I thought it useful to advise them (or him if you like.) As I'm sure I'm not the only one who's Q box is getting so hot it needs turned off!

 

On the other hand I'm not entirely sure why I needed to actually explain my actions. But hopefully that might seem a bit clearer to anyone that may find it difficult to understand.

Camera Assistant
Posts: 193
Post 33 of 70
837 Views

Re: sky box noise since update

Although there have been lots of messages about the fan noise since the update, no one else has mentioned their box becoming "burning hot" and that's definitely not happening on mine either.

 

It seems like you have an additional serious issue with your box. A box swap should solve the heat problem although you will still have the fan humming until Sky fix that.

 

My box has just come out of eco mode standby at 5:45am and is cold, but the fan is already whirring.

First Assistant Director
Posts: 2,313
Post 34 of 70
834 Views

Re: sky box noise since update


@Badjester1 wrote:

I literally don't understand that logic at all. I'll explain slowly... My box like many others it seems updated (I was watching TV and it went off updated and came back on.) Ever since it's been whirring very hard and getting extremely hot. I spoke to Sky, I've tried resetting the box etc etc. Yes an engineer is all well and good. You do realise I'll have the same hardware with same software right? So I'm not really getting why a new box would get rid of the issue with the dodgy update? I'm all up for tyring it but I can't see how two of the same boxes with the same software would respond differently to a buggy update.? All other avenues like rebooting, resetting etc were tried. It's over the weekend that I discovered it was becoming hot like HOT!

 

What I haven't mentioned as didn't think it necessary... Is that I've spoken to Sky a few times since asking how to speak to or get the problem mentioned to the relevant people. You know? The people who roll out the updates. Nobody can remotely advise me who these people may be. The noise I could live with for now, The fact I can't leave my box on to record anything renders it useless! It gets BURNING hot! So instead of waffling on here on the forums (ironically like now responding) I thought I'd get something done instead of just complaining here! I haven't complained to him, what I've done is explained that I and others have received an update which has caused a problem. However my problem seeming a little more serious due to the fact it's getting so hot. I thought it useful to advise them (or him if you like.) As I'm sure I'm not the only one who's Q box is getting so hot it needs turned off!

 

On the other hand I'm not entirely sure why I needed to actually explain my actions. But hopefully that might seem a bit clearer to anyone that may find it difficult to understand.


I am an Electronics Engineer with 25 years and also there is over 2m Sky Q customers and there is no massive product recall. Your box will get swapped out by Engineer and box itself will be returned to base so it can be checked out.

 

Everyone is now on the version 8 software of Sky Q and this forum would be full of posts if their was an issue.

 

Yours is a minor isolated case and assuming you do not store your box in a badly ventilated area and in an open room then it will just be a glitch.

 

On a lighter note...

We had a similar post earlier this year where a poster was convinced it was a box fault and after much digging he finally admitted the box was in an unventilated equipment rack in the airing cupboard next to the hot water tank!

Sound Designer
Posts: 62
Post 35 of 70
816 Views

Re: sky box noise since update

Mine worked flawlessly right up until after the update last week. the noise was annoying me at the weekend early morning, so tried playing around with the placement of it to see if I could minimise the noise. It's ventilated more than it needs so I'm not even going into that for Gordon's entertainment. Anyway that's when I noticed it in standby whirring away but touched it and realised it was no way normal heat coming off. Used to stay pretty cool compared to my Youview box which used to get quite warm. Few others on my social media pointing out same problem so not just me. Of course I don't know how they compare to mine, regardless of anyone else I'm surprised the box hadn't cut out. Even my mate said that needs turned off now. Whether it be solely mine or not. At that level of heat I don't think it abnormal to highlight this to someone with some clout rather than just ignore the fact. You can all thank me for your noisy fans being fixed later lol Smiley Wink

Oracle
Posts: 10,938
Post 36 of 70
801 Views

Re: sky box noise since update

@Badjester1 think you have a 1TB box which has an internal power supply when running it will be dissipating around 50 watts of heat so is naturally warm to hot to the touch. Sky advise that the case should reach around 50 degrees centigrade which is quite safe. As a guide if you can leave your hand on the box for a period then it is running normally.

 

The plastic case is part of the boxes cooling system. I would also check that the air intakes on the bottom of the box are not blocked by dust - surprising how quickly that can happen even in a "clean" environment. If blocked heat can build up and the fan runs.

 

It is difficult to see how a firmware update can cause extra heat it could cause the fan to run continously but in that case the box would be cooler not hotter. If you are worried get an engineer out.

==========================


Oracles are customers and people too.
Sound Designer
Posts: 62
Post 37 of 70
792 Views

Re: sky box noise since update


@Chrisee wrote:

@Badjester1 think you have a 1TB box which has an internal power supply when running it will be dissipating around 50 watts of heat so is naturally warm to hot to the touch. Sky advise that the case should reach around 50 degrees centigrade which is quite safe. As a guide if you can leave your hand on the box for a period then it is running normally.

 

The plastic case is part of the boxes cooling system. I would also check that the air intakes on the bottom of the box are not blocked by dust - surprising how quickly that can happen even in a "clean" environment. If blocked heat can build up and the fan runs.

 

It is difficult to see how a firmware update can cause extra heat it could cause the fan to run continously but in that case the box would be cooler not hotter. If you are worried get an engineer out.


Thanks for the info, there is one coming out Friday. Although I can't understand myself how an update could. I was up that night late when it updated and everything started after that. Happy days if a swap sorts it. Only had the box since June, Once it had cooled down I checked it over including the bottom. Looked like new tbh but my main concern was the smell. Not burning but you know that hot smell? Like components that are too hot? It's on it's own shelf nothing under, a good space above and sides. Weird probably never know but deffo after the update. Wonder what it's doing in the background when it's in standby? Continually working hard despite not doing anything. It's not just the fan, you can hear it working away none stop. Worst case scenario is I get an exchange and same thing. I'm pretty much Skyless until Friday anyway. I know my Xbox and PS4 get pretty warm but this wasn't normal. It was all going so well lol.

 

***EDIT*** Just to tag onto that... I've just plugged it in and nothing. Looks like it's completely dead. Urgh after 2 years of hell with TalkTalk's Youview box. I was hoping for plain sailing with Sky Q. New box it is for sure then.

Oracle
Posts: 10,938
Post 38 of 70
735 Views

Re: sky box noise since update

Hi @Badjester1 does sound like you have a dead box, they are pretty reliable but a few do break and agree hot smell was a bad sign. Sometimes an update can push a failing device over the edge not because the update is faulty as such but just because it forces a re-start. Hopefully sorted soon.

==========================


Oracles are customers and people too.
Runner
Posts: 3
Post 39 of 70
718 Views

Re: sky box noise since update

I’ve had to call sky to arrange a visit from engineer if they can fix they will otherwise a replacement it is. Does this affect all my recordings? 

Oracle
Posts: 10,938
Post 40 of 70
715 Views

Re: sky box noise since update


@Aruz wrote:

I’ve had to call sky to arrange a visit from engineer if they can fix they will otherwise a replacement it is. Does this affect all my recordings? 


Yes a new box means you lose your recordings unfortunately.

==========================


Oracles are customers and people too.
Camera Assistant
Posts: 193
Post 41 of 70
712 Views

Re: sky box noise since update


@Aruz wrote:

I’ve had to call sky to arrange a visit from engineer if they can fix they will otherwise a replacement it is. Does this affect all my recordings? 


Yes if they replace the box you will lose all your recordings.

 

Is the engineer visit regarding the fan noise? If so it might be worth cancelling it or declining a replacement, as  the fan noise is a software issue that seems to be affecting all 1TB boxes. A replacement will have the same problem and you will lose all your recordings.

Runner
Posts: 3
Post 42 of 70
700 Views

Re: sky box noise since update

Yes it’s to do with the constant humming of the fan inside the Q box. 

Sound Designer
Posts: 62
Post 43 of 70
619 Views

Re: sky box noise since update

Had a call back from a lady at Sky who had been passed the information that I had sent in. Since the other day my box has been on and off starting up so definitely needs swapped anyway. I don't know if this is due to the update or not. Once I had spoken to her I was passed through to a guy who works in the tech side of things. Got the impression he wasn't your average Sky techy as he was incredibly knowledgeable. I've spoken to Sky tech plenty lately and he seemed to know more. Obviously I've got an engineer coming anyway regardless, but I had mentioned there was a fan noise issue others were experiencing.

 

He mentioned that there should be an update more than likely around 2am tonight in prep for Netflix tomorrow. The background info for Netflix is there in the system info. But there'll be another one tonight and hopefully may sort out the constant noise on peoples boxes. He did mention that now Sky Q incorporates Netflix, Netlfix will be pushing hard for updates in future to keep things running smoothly. So he was hopeful the issue would be sorted by this or future near updates. I'll see what my new box brings or updates for that matter. Hopefully your boxes will return to being quiet after tonight *fingers crossed*

Oracle
Posts: 1,982
Post 44 of 70
612 Views

Re: sky box noise since update


@Badjester1 wrote:

Had a call back from a lady at Sky who had been passed the information that I had sent in. Since the other day my box has been on and off starting up so definitely needs swapped anyway. I don't know if this is due to the update or not. Once I had spoken to her I was passed through to a guy who works in the tech side of things. Got the impression he wasn't your average Sky techy as he was incredibly knowledgeable. I've spoken to Sky tech plenty lately and he seemed to know more. Obviously I've got an engineer coming anyway regardless, but I had mentioned there was a fan noise issue others were experiencing.

 

He mentioned that there should be an update more than likely around 2am tonight in prep for Netflix tomorrow. The background info for Netflix is there in the system info. But there'll be another one tonight and hopefully may sort out the constant noise on peoples boxes. He did mention that now Sky Q incorporates Netflix, Netlfix will be pushing hard for updates in future to keep things running smoothly. So he was hopeful the issue would be sorted by this or future near updates. I'll see what my new box brings or updates for that matter. Hopefully your boxes will return to being quiet after tonight *fingers crossed*


Hi @Badjester1 Thanks for the info, very interesting about the Netflix updates!

Boom Operator
Posts: 25
Post 45 of 70
590 Views

Re: sky box noise since update

fingers crossed then that it fixes the constant running fan noise  issue,

 

as for netflix my TV already has it built in,  as does the bluray connected to the TV , i dont really need 'yet' another device to run it on as well.

 

However if that means Sky push out more fixes (and hopefully not just more bugs) its a good thing.....

Reply
Recommended Threads
13-12-2018 08:23 PM
15-12-2018 07:32 PM
09-08-2018 07:47 PM
07-12-2018 07:18 PM
13-10-2018 08:54 AM