sky box noise since update

Camera Assistant
Post 16 of 70

Re: sky box noise since update

This afternoon I switched my box off at the mains and let it cool down fully for over an hour, then switched it back on. The fan immediately started to run even though the box was cold.  That seems to confirm there is a bug in the firmware on 1TB boxes causing the fan to run al the time, instead of only when it reaches a certain temperature.

Boom Operator
Post 17 of 70

Thanks do let usknow if you get a reply. as you say worrying....

Edit replying to previous page

Boom Operator
Post 18 of 70

Morning all

Am still looking for a cause, but like others, this happened straight after upgrade last week, with no movement of equipment, but thought it may assist.Even though some have already attempted, but posted to BUMP! thread

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-q-boxes-are-warm-to-touch-or-noisy

Sound Designer
Post 19 of 70

I'm fed up with it now. I'll no doubt get a reply from Sky this week and the engineer is coming Friday. However the new box will probably do this if he changes it. The update has the box working too hard and at this rate it'll burn out. I just hope Sky say they're aware and sorting it out asap. It's spoiling viewing with this constant noise!

Boom Operator
Post 20 of 70

My Sky Q box is on  glass tv stand when i moved it earlier the glass underneath noticabley 'hot' I've put some spacers under the feet to see if that helps, as all the ventilation holes are  underneath,  but so far the fan is just as bad (it may be it was always hot underneath like that? but then  I never had any reason to check before, until it starting making this noise). 

I really hope Sky find a fix for this,  or rollback it back to the previous version,  otherwise i will be going (from Sky, as my 18m contract is nearly up) . My partner says we should just switch it off when we're not watching it , but then of course it won't be recording the programs we want,  and i dont see why should put with this noise from the box in  what was an otherwise quiet room.

Runner
Post 21 of 70

Just had sky q installed and it was driving me insane with the noise, only thing I could say it was like was a dripping tap. Did look around for information and found a sound proofing mat. Did a search on amazon and found one it works like a charm, can just hear the sky q now it's made 90% diffence in noise level .

Link for item: Vibration-Absorber

Sound Designer
Post 22 of 70

It's not the vibration with mine it's literally the sound bouncing off the wooden shelf underneath the box. The sound of a fan working too hard constantly. Like my laptop when it has a huge update but continuous whether the box is on or in standby.

Camera Assistant
Post 23 of 70

If anyone from Sky is reading could we have some confirmation that this is being looked into? The noise is pretty annoying. Even first thing this morning when it was very cold the fan was humming away and the box didn't even feel warm.

Runner
Post 24 of 70

Mine is also making a very noticable humming noise. Only noticed it on Friday - it was fine before then. Has there been any response from Sky?

Sound Designer
Post 25 of 70

Right ok folks I've emailed the CEO directly about this asking him to forward on the info to the relevant people to sort out asap. My box is going to end up burnt out at this rate!

Camera Assistant
Post 26 of 70

If your box actually getting hot? Mine now feels cooler than before the update as the fan won't stop running, but I would rather have a warm box than the irritating fan sound,

Executive Producer
Post 27 of 70

@Badjester1 wrote:

Right ok folks I've emailed the CEO directly about this asking him to forward on the info to the relevant people to sort out asap. My box is going to end up burnt out at this rate!

What and you really think he’s going to jump and say right I must get this sorted? I doubt it’ll even get past his spam filter 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Oracle
Post 28 of 70

@skinner1965

You never know; he might have time to answer a few subscriber enquiries while he's waiting for that £37 million Comcast cheque to clear....

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Sound Designer
Post 29 of 70

@skinner1965 wrote:

@Badjester1 wrote:

What and you really think he’s going to jump and say right I must get this sorted? I doubt it’ll even get past his spam filter 

I've had plenty of experience with TalkTalk and EE previously with contacting their executive departments with excellent outcomes so your sarky comment is irrelevant. I'm not wasting my time slavering around talking to advisors when I can go to the top. Oh and yes I deem it necessary as my box is burning hot not just warm so yes it needs sorted now as I can't even leave it turned on. I don't hold executives on pedestals as they're approachable when I've dealt with them before.

Sound Designer
Post 30 of 70

@xenon81 wrote:

If your box actually getting hot? Mine now feels cooler than before the update as the fan won't stop running, but I would rather have a warm box than the irritating fan sound,

@xenon81 Yes it's getting very hot. The fan is running hard but obviously to cool it down. It's not actually managing to do so though. In my opinion the box is working constantly doing something since the update, which is causing it to get extremely hot. Put it this way... If my phone got that hot I wouldn't go near it until it had cooled down. Thankfully no battery involved with the box but it's enough to make me switch it off.

Recommended Threads
13-12-2018 08:23 PM
15-12-2018 07:32 PM
09-08-2018 07:47 PM
07-12-2018 07:18 PM
13-10-2018 08:54 AM