sky box noise since update

Boom Operator
Post 1 of 73

sky box noise since update

my Sky q box has been making a noticable humming noise since the update (its not a clicking sound as if there was a hard drive problem)  more like its constantly running hot and a fan is running inside.

ive rebooted it but it still doing it (and with no programs recording)

All Replies
Camera Assistant
Post 2 of 73

Re: sky box noise since update

My box has been doing it too. It sounds like the small fan inside is running constantly which creates a quiet but irritating humming sound. Until this update it was very rare to hear the fan.

The box does feel slightly cooler on top as a result but the noise is becoming annoying.

Mine is a 1TB box. 

Camera Assistant
Post 3 of 73

Sky Q 2tb V1 box no noise issues here.

SKY Q 2TB v1 + mini
SKY Fibre MAX unlimited
Panasonic 50dx750b
Sonos Playbar
Boom Operator
Post 4 of 73

mine is the 1Tb box too, its definitely a constant very noticable (annoying) noise, it only started on thursday evening at the same time the box had the new software update.

Sound Supervisor
Post 5 of 73

I posted about this just earlier this evening. I know my box updated just the other night as it went off while watching TV late on. The router also did as I say it go red then boot back up. Anyway I didn't notice anything straight after but maybe I just didn't notice it. However I started having Internet problems and thought I'd just turn everything off last night for an hour. It was upon turning the router/Sky Q box on that I thought I could hear someone vacuuming next door. Not like really loud but a distant humming. Following advice I've turned the box off again and back on with no luck. It really was annoying me last night watching TV.

Today I called Sky and they arranged to send an engineer out. Tbh I didn't really want to have to go to that extent. Anyway I've taken it upon myself tonight to reset the hard drive (made it slightly better I think.) Then just a full factory reset. Since then I have reinstalled the last update again then unplugged the Q box after all this to let it cool down as obviously it gets hot doing resets and updates. Just about to turn it back on now actually. I'm hoping I haven't just wasted all that time and it turns out to be a bug. As what you describe is exactly the same as me.

Sound Supervisor
Post 6 of 73

I've just updated my own post on this with my findings so thought I would share them here. Resetting the disk and factory reset does not solve this fan issue. I've resorted to wedging a drinks coaster (as it's the right size) sideways between the top of the box and my unit. This has given a bit of pressure onto the box and does make the noise a bit quieter. However the fan is constantly spinning no matter what.

Runner
Post 7 of 73

I too have noticed a annoying humming noise coming from my sky Q box. Like a small fan is constantly running. Does anybody have a fix for this.? 

Boom Operator
Post 8 of 73

Morning all

Yep! sadly same thing, humming and also notice a red light glow at back of box.

Am fairly new to Q and am sure this only started after update, when I noticed 'schedule' had move into 'Manage'

We are in our 80's, and just about getting used to the many push tabs instead of just one. Doh!! and thought the humming was because we had left something running. Grr!

Hope we get an EASY answer to recitify soon..

Camera Assistant
Post 9 of 73

Is there an official way to raise this issue to Sky? It is starting to look like there is a bug in the new firmware affecting 1TB boxes causing the fan to run constantly. Not only is the sound annoying but it could potentially damage the fan motor which I assume is not designed to be running all the time.

Oracle
Post 10 of 73

@xenon81 wrote:

Is there an official way to raise this issue to Sky? It is starting to look like there is a bug in the new firmware affecting 1TB boxes causing the fan to run constantly. Not only is the sound annoying but it could potentially damage the fan motor which I assume is not designed to be running all the time.

Hi @xenon81 The only official way is to contact Sky directly however the forum staff do monitor the posts and will collate all information that is posted and pass it back onto to the relevant parties.

Sound Designer
Post 11 of 73

When I had my V1 box replaced with a V2 box a few months ago I had this humming that people are talking about.  The engineer had put the box in Active mode so I switched it to Eco mode and the humming stopped.  I guess most of the people above, with the issue, may have their box in Eco mode but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Camera Assistant
Post 12 of 73

Yes my box is definitely in eco mode but thanks for the suggestion.

Boom Operator
Post 13 of 73

this is definitely something new (a bug) that has occured after the software update, my sky box did not do this before.

Boom Operator
Post 14 of 73

If anyone receives an answer,

Hope you will post here, as it is sooooo annoying when it is quiet, hearing the continual hum.

Maybe Sky can do another update to undo  the cause.

Thanks.

Sound Supervisor
Post 15 of 73

I had to turn my box off when I went to bed. I felt it for heat and it was worryingly hot! The fan is clearly running because something is making the box run continually until it gets really hot. They better sort this soon! I've email Sky customer complaints to ask them to forward my findings on to the relevant department asap.

Recommended Threads