Discussion topic: its showing satellite signal looks good but it keeps cutting off

This message was authored by aimsxxx11 This message was authored by: aimsxxx11

its showing satellite signal looks good but it keeps cutting off

Can someone kindly help me please. 

My skyQ main box is driving me insane, I have checked my satellite signal which all signals and connections are telling me it's good, yet I'm having a problem with watching TV on all channels, my screen keeps cutting off and going blank, and fuzzy. 

Even my recordings are cutting off and are no longer recording. 

I have followed the advice on the sky website with the following instructions such as turn off the mains etc and still non of these instructions have helped me out or fixed my problem. 

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever or is having the same problems and if there is anything I can do to fix this. 

I just hope it's something simple before getting an engineer out. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: its showing satellite signal looks good but it keeps cutting off

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@aimsxxx11  If you've followed all the usual trouble shooting including ensuring your HDMI cable is seated fully in both your TV & Q box then an engineer visit may be the only solution.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

hi @aimsxxx11 I don't really think this is your problem but I suggest check both  your satellite cables. 

Place the box in standby & then disconnect each cable & check that the central core wire is not broken short - it should protrude slightly beyond the plug  see my image below. 

When you have checked replace into the connection & make sure the connector is fully tight 

F connector - central coreF connector - central core

TIn case you are wondering the Signal information on SKY Q does not report the condition of the signal being watched but just a transponder set in an engieer's panel .

Ech of the 2 cables carry different channels - one carries the Vertically polarised transponder chanels & the other the horizontal so if one is not working you may find some channels not working whilst others would seem fine

This message was authored by trevforum This message was authored by: trevforum

I'm watching the Hundred(Sky Sports Cricket) channel.  The HD version keeps breaking up even in good weather but the UHD feed is rock solid.  I am having the LNB/Dish looked at becuase the signal/strength is 60/70 but the slightest rain now causes no satellite signal.  I would have thought the UHD channel would have been more sensitive to problems.

——————————————————-
Sky Stream, Sky Glass, Panasonic DX902, Pioneer LX-901 7.1.4

@trevforum wrote:

I'm watching the Hundred(Sky Sports Cricket) channel.  The HD version keeps breaking up even in good weather but the UHD feed is rock solid.  I am having the LNB/Dish looked at becuase the signal/strength is 60/70 but the slightest rain now causes no satellite signal.  I would have thought the UHD channel would have been more sensitive to problems.

I wonder if the polarisation skew is properly set - I haven't checked the frequencies used but if the UHD & HD feeds are on different polorisations then it is possible that one is stronger than the other if the skew is slightly  out

aimsxxx11
Topic Author
This message was authored by aimsxxx11 This message was authored by: aimsxxx11

I also have sky multiscreen the one in my living room is the problem, whereas my sky TV upstairs in my bedroom is working perfectly fine, I may have to call an engineer out as I have tried disconnecting the cables and I still have a problem I am just unsure as to what is causing the technical fault 

@aimsxxx11 wrote:

I also have sky multiscreen the one in my living room is the problem, whereas my sky TV upstairs in my bedroom is working perfectly fine, I may have to call an engineer out as I have tried disconnecting the cables and I still have a problem I am just unsure as to what is causing the technical fault 

Yes if the bedroom mini is working fin ethen it is not a problem with the feed.

It does, unfortunately, sound like an engineer's visit is needed

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey

On my Sky Q v3 receiver a 'Quality' reading of 70 from the default Tp4 transponder signal, equates to a rather poor Bit Error Ratio of around just 8.7 dB which is well below the minimum value of around 11 dB required to pass the Sky test meter parameters, and provide long term stable reception.

Sky Q v3  Quality       Modulation Error Ratio

90                            15 dB or over

90                            13.5 dB

90                            12.5 dB

90                            11.5 dB

80                            10.9 dB

70                              8.7 dB

60                              7.9 dB

0                              6.3 dB

A polarisation 'skew' that is not optimised will degrade both polarities equally.  

Godfrey.

@Godfrey wrote:

A polarisation 'skew' that is not optimised will degrade both polarities equally.  

Seems I was incorrect with my assumption

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey

@trevforum wrote:.................I would have thought the UHD channel would have been more sensitive to problems.

I have checked the Modulation Error Ratio (MER) quality of a sample Sky MiniDish and my own IRS distribution installation, on two different days, the satellite transponder that carries the HD version (ch 404) was only achieving an average MER quality that was around 2 dB less than the satellite transponder that was carrying the UHD version.

Thus, if the aim of your dish is no longer optimised it would seem to be highly likely that your HD version of the cricket would show signs of failure before the UHD version.

MiniDish BER   Link Margin               IRS BER       Link Margin

Transponder 20 (HD)             13.6 dB              6.3 dB                        15.3 dB             8.0 dB

Transponder 32  (UHD)         15.4 dB               7.8 dB                        17.3 dB             9.8 dB

Godfrey.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion