Discussion topic: connect homepods to sky Q

This message was authored by ilovemyprobe This message was authored by: ilovemyprobe

connect homepods to sky Q

I have Sky Q along with a Panasonic TV (has 3 HDMI slots) and a pair of Apple Homepds. I am looking to play the TV audio through the Homepods when Watching Sky Q. I figure I will need to buy apple TV?

Once I have purchased an Apple TV Box and connected it to my Panasonic TV, will I then be able to just watch Sky Q and have the sound from Sky Q delivered to the TV which will then feed the audio to the Apple TV to then transmitt stereo to a couple of paired homepods?

Or will i have to watch everything directly through the Apple TV in order to gain sound via the Homepods?

Can someone kindly answer this, thank you.

Best Answers
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020 Answer

Re: connect homepods to sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Some info here: https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/play-audio-from-tv-inputs-homepod-apple-tv/#:~:text=ARC%20(Audio%20....

If you connect the AppleTV to the TV's HDMI socket with (e)ARC then any audio on the TV (e.g. from the Q from a different HDMI input) should be sent to the AppleTV which can in turn send to the Homepod(s).

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020 Answer

Some info here: https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/play-audio-from-tv-inputs-homepod-apple-tv/#:~:text=ARC%20(Audio%20....

If you connect the AppleTV to the TV's HDMI socket with (e)ARC then any audio on the TV (e.g. from the Q from a different HDMI input) should be sent to the AppleTV which can in turn send to the Homepod(s).

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@ilovemyprobe wrote:

I have Sky Q along with a Panasonic TV (has 3 HDMI slots) and a pair of Apple Homepds. I am looking to play the TV audio through the Homepods when Watching Sky Q. I figure I will need to buy apple TV?

Once I have purchased an Apple TV Box and connected it to my Panasonic TV, will I then be able to just watch Sky Q and have the sound from Sky Q delivered to the TV which will then feed the audio to the Apple TV to then transmitt stereo to a couple of paired homepods?

Or will i have to watch everything directly through the Apple TV in order to gain sound via the Homepods?

Can someone kindly answer this, thank you.

hi @ilovemyprobe 

I am not 100% sure as I haven't checked elsewhere & not searched for an old discussion here but I am fairly confident that providing the Apple TV box is connected to the ARC connection on the TV you should be able to listen.

The one thing I seem to remember is that there was some question over whether it will work with ordinary ARC rather than the newer faster eARC (I think the offical tech spec says eARC but bearing in mind SKY audio <1Mbs then it may be OK

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Indeed... It's exactly what ARC is was intended for - but there are always some gotchas...  (Audio-sync tends to the common one)

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

ilovemyprobe
Topic Author
This message was authored by ilovemyprobe This message was authored by: ilovemyprobe

update:

my tv was one of the first to have HDMI slots, so i am guessing they are not ARC. The does presently connect to a yammo sound and dvd system which supplys prologic sound to the speakers in the room.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@ilovemyprobe wrote:

my tv was one of the first to have HDMI slots, so i am guessing they are not ARC.

Without ARC it's going to be a challenge...

You would have to feed the aux input on the homepods by extracting audio from the Q's output - it can be done but buying a newer TV is probably a better way unfortunately.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@ilovemyprobe wrote:

my tv was one of the first to have HDMI slots, so i am guessing they are not ARC.

ARC arrived with the HDMI 1.4 standard in 2009.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
ilovemyprobe
Topic Author

Thank you everyone for being so helpful. My panasonic is a TX-L42ET61B and here is a link to the HDMI connections in the manual.

https://www.manuals.co.uk/panasonic/viera-tx-l42et60b/manual?p=30

Looking at the info, do you think that this will work for me? It looks ARCish. 😁 If anyone can confirm then that would be helpful. Im guessing I will just need to get a used apple tv box 2nd gen and upwards to get my homepods blarring away to fast and furrious.

Yeah it says HDMI2 supports ARC (but not eARC so no Dolby Atmos but for homepods that's fine)

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

Lip sync may be an issue however... 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Chodley wrote:

Yeah it says HDMI2 supports ARC (but not eARC so no Dolby Atmos but for homepods that's fine)

I know not relevant to the OP but just thought I'd mention that Atmos from SKY Q and most apps can be used with ordinary ARC and does not need the extra bandwith of eARC (which is good when using Netflix & Disney+ on my TV & via my Amp which are both ARC only)

@nigea99 wrote:

@Chodley wrote:

I know not relevant to the OP but just thought I'd mention that Atmos from SKY Q and most apps can be used with ordinary ARC and does not need the extra bandwith of eARC (which is good when using Netflix & Disney+ on my TV & via my Amp which are both ARC only)

Aha! Thanks.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion