Discussion topic: YouTube on Sky Q "loading" after pausing..

This message was authored by Kevin_1990 This message was authored by: Kevin_1990

Re: YouTube on Sky Q "loading" after pausing..

This just started happening to me a few days ago pauses then the video jumps back so I have to fast forward I see there is 4 pages worth of post since December 2023 and no fix yet great! 

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

After a period of stability, this is getting worse again, very frustrating. 

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K
This message was authored by jblink This message was authored by: jblink

I agree it is getting worse - different, but worse.  Originally a video would stop mid stream with "loading" appearing.  That still happens but rarely for me at least.  This could be "fixed" be rewinding 10s or whatever and playing from there.  Now, consistently, if I pause a video then restart, a few seconds later the sound drops out for about a second then a few seconds later it skips back several seconds with often the sound appearing out on synch.  Again I can pre-empt this on the first sound drop out by rewinding.  I am not a software engineer, but I use YouTube on many other platforms and this does not happen so how difficult should it be for sky to fix?  Too difficult it would appear (removed).  I will admit SkyQ is way more reliable than the original sky+, but I still have it on a separate socket so I can reboot it when it locks up etc without affecting anything else.  It needs this about once a month 😢

Moderator note: Removed inappropriate language

So it is getting worse.......

The random "loading......" during play is still happening but not so often, for me at least.  What does happen now is that when playing a video after it has been paused is that after a few seconds there is a short sound drop out.  If I rewind at that point 10s or so then it will continue as normal (same behaviour as the "loading..." issue).  However if I let the video play after the drop out then consistently, after a few seconds, the video freezes then jumps back a few seconds by itself usually with the sound being out of synch.  Pause  - rewind and it plays normally.  Sometimes it will not jump back but I get the "loading...." message and it freezes seeming indefinitely until I rewind.

This message was authored by simonstax This message was authored by: simonstax

This is happening to me too. Jumps back a few seconds or even minutes. I watch a lot of YT on the Sky Q box but now I am thinking about switching over to my Apple TV

And just to add to my post above, same thing happens on the mini boxes as well as the main Q. Agree with @simonstax that YT on sky is becoming unwatchable 

edit....  not wanting to become a live feed of my problems 🤔 but have just unpaused a vid on a mini box and no sound drop out......yay!............I thought.......😢.....until after about 10 seconds play it froze "loading" and after a minute or so of nothing happening the only resolution was to do the rewind thing.......again!  This time however it jumped out of the vid back to the menu.

This message was authored by Christine-Sky This message was authored by: Christine-Sky

I have the issue too and have done for multiple years.

Pretty much every time you pause a YouTube video and then unpause it, it goes out of sync and then freezes for about 10-15 seconds before playing from a point about 15 seconds previous to where it was paused. I've probably lost a few hours of my life waiting for the loading screen to sort itself out after unpausing.

It's very irriating because I pause YouTube videos quite a lot. (Every day, multiple times, maybe tens of times)

I didn't report it because i figured it would have been picked up in testing and fixed a long time ago, but alas, it's still a pain in the **bleep**.

This message was authored by AntAntAnt This message was authored by: AntAntAnt

Hi Christine,

Yes, it is very irritating isn't it.  They don't seem to be addressing the problem.  In the interim, the best way I've found to deal with the issue when it freezes, is to press the 'fast forward' button 3 times and then the 'play' button, all in quick succession, this should start the video immediately, and very close to where you paused it, depending on how long the video is.  I hope this helps and makes things a little more bearable for now...

Best regards

Antony

This message was authored by Sharkyvibe This message was authored by: Sharkyvibe

SKY !!!

where is the solution. ? 

This message was authored by Jenny747 This message was authored by: Jenny747

I have contacted Sky a number of times and told it could take months to resolve issue as more likely needs software update ?

This message was authored by Fionao13 This message was authored by: Fionao13

This has been an issue for me for years. I was a beta tester for Sky Q and was one of the first to have the Ethernet port enabled. All in all, after ironing out some teething issues it's been great. BUT! YouTube crashing, consistently after pausing for literally YEARS is just ridiculous. Like many people, I watch a lot of YouTube. And shouldn't have to have a "trick" or "nack" to have to use it. 
Nevertheless, I have to press fast forward twice then play to make it not crash after resuming the video after being paused for a short period. 
This must be simple to fix, I used to be involved heavily in software dev and surely all you'd need to do is make the video feed stay live - as if to force it to memory - for the duration of the pause. 
Even if that off the head solution isn't it, it can't be that hard to fix. Cmon sky... I've been a loyal customer for 15 years... my daughters £40 tablet can watch YouTube seamlessly... sir it out PLEASE 

Fiona o
This message was authored by meer-on-the-web This message was authored by: meer-on-the-web

yep same thing has been happening to me for the last month, when evr I pause a video I end up having to go back to the youtube home screen and reopen the video, annoyingly it doesnt save the position you were in when you paused the video also.
Its been driving me up the wall.

This message was authored by Bill+640000 This message was authored by: Bill+640000

c'mon sky, do something!

This message was authored by Tina+Cora This message was authored by: Tina+Cora

Exactly the same issue here. This is pathetic that it's been allowed to go on, and on, and on. 
Funny, it never crashes during the adverts ! 
Come on Sky, sort this. 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I have a Comp Sci degree and have worked for software companies my whole career and I have no idea what "forcing something to memory" means.

There's clearly some horrible bug in the way that the Sky Youtube app manages and attempts to resume the network stream after pausing though.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion