Discussion topic: YouTube on Sky Q "loading" after pausing..

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: YouTube on Sky Q "loading" after pausing..

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chodley wrote:

I have a Comp Sci degree and have worked for software companies my whole career and I have no idea what "forcing something to memory" means.

There's clearly some horrible bug in the way that the Sky Youtube app manages and attempts to resume the network stream after pausing though.

@Chodley but again it strangely isn't affecting everyone 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Laing1 wrote:

@Chodley wrote:

I have a Comp Sci degree and have worked for software companies my whole career and I have no idea what "forcing something to memory" means.

There's clearly some horrible bug in the way that the Sky Youtube app manages and attempts to resume the network stream after pausing though.

@Chodley but again it strangely isn't affecting everyone 

Yeah although this one definitely affects my box too, unlike the Netflix one.

This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

I wanted to revisit this thread as there are multiple issues being reported that I wanted to get clarification on.

The Community team previously raised an issue where you told us after pausing a video and then pressing play the video will play for around 5-10 seconds and then freezes with the OSM ‘Loading…’, this was investigated by our support teams and fixed.

It sounds now that after pressing play following pausing, the sound will drop for a few seconds which then normally results in the video jumping backwards a few seconds but the sound is still out of sync. To resolve this you can either exit then re-open the video OR whilst the initial freeze happens use FFW then play.

Does anyone have any advances on this or anything different and we can re-raise this to support teams?

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

This message was authored by Spamcan This message was authored by: Spamcan

I`m still getting the freezing with the the osm  loading.

This message was authored by Razzle+berry This message was authored by: Razzle+berry

Hi,

The issue has never been fixed, at least not for my box or youtube app, I pause and play and it starts loading and then restarts from the beginning unless I go out of the video and start playing again. 

This message was authored by AntAntAnt This message was authored by: AntAntAnt

Hi Chloe-W22,

With regards to an element being fixed, I find that the main 'pausing' issue, that seems to affect a great many people still exists. Yes, there is a work around, by pressing the fast forward button twice, and then play, and this gets you close to where you were in video, though this is obviously still a nuisance, and it's not good that it has been an issue for at least a year, that being a conservative estimate. This affects the Sky Q YouTube app only, the issue was introduced after an update, and has made the app generally unstable. There are other occasional and random issues such as freezing, crashing and the audio being out of sync, though the main issue when using the pause button occurs almost every time, dependant upon on how long it has been on pause for.

Surely there are numerous Sky employees that are experiencing this issue firsthand, as I have spoken to dozens of people personally, who are experiencing this specific issue?

I appreciate software issues occur, however, the sheer length of time that this issue has persisted, falls way outside of any acceptable service level agreement, how can one escalate this fault? 

Best Regards

Antony Higgins

Jaxx25
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jaxx25 This message was authored by: Jaxx25

So....the video thing has been fixed but we still need to exit the video to fix the sound thing....

Well, the video freezing and audio sync issues were the same issue, for me at least. I haven't had one without the other. And it's always after unpausing too.

Also, do we need to wait for a software update to get this fix?

This message was authored by Sharkyvibe This message was authored by: Sharkyvibe

That is not a fix

sir my car breaks down on the motorway continually

Well if you just turn off the engine sbd start the car again that fixes it

Yes but it ruins the experience of drivinv whivh is why i bought a car !!! FIX THE ISSUE

@Sharkyvibe wrote:

That is not a fix

sir my car breaks down on the motorway continually

Well if you just turn off the engine sbd start the car again that fixes it

Yes but it ruins the experience of drivinv whivh is why i bought a car !!! FIX THE ISSUE

I think you might have misunderstood the post. Chloe was trying to get confirmation that that is what happens, not suggesting that was a "fix".

This message was authored by AntAntAnt This message was authored by: AntAntAnt

Hi,

To be fair, she stated:-

'this was investigated by our support teams and fixed.'

Best Regards

Antony Higgins

This message was authored by jblink This message was authored by: jblink

I am in the habit now of rewinding before playing after pausing to avoid the problem. Hence I may have missed the fix 😢. After reading the last few posts I have  just tried pausing and playing straight away a few times and............

no problems.........! 🥳

so I am not wholly convinced right now but here's hoping 🙏

This message was authored by Lg+oled65b7v This message was authored by: Lg+oled65b7v

No, not working for me.

At first it appears to. There's a very (very, very) short audio drop out after a second or two, but then plain sailing...

...until 10 or 20 seconds or so, then everything pauses and it's back to 'loading'.

The only improved bit is that it doesn't appear to stick on loading quite so long.

Back to the Fire TV Stick.

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

@Chloe-W22 wrote:

It sounds now that after pressing play following pausing, the sound will drop for a few seconds which then normally results in the video jumping backwards a few seconds but the sound is still out of sync. To resolve this you can either exit then re-open the video OR whilst the initial freeze happens use FFW then play.

Does anyone have any advances on this or anything different and we can re-raise this to support teams?

Sort of.

Here is what happens when I pause: https://youtu.be/xdpr8SiC0Dc?si=B7yuFZgywVW_mq1l 

I used a Sky video just in case. Sound drops out momentarily a few seconds after un-pausing, then the video plays fine for 15 - 30 seconds before stopping, black screen and jumping back.

For me it is the same on all videos, regardless of pause length. The issue with YouTube freezing as you browse videos in the main Home Screen then throwing you out of the app also remains for me.

I don't think I have had any lip sync issues.

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K
This message was authored by jblink This message was authored by: jblink

Update from my recent post....

on a mini

paused.

play

a few seconds later, sound synch all over the place

a few seconds later "loading".......

about 10 seconds later jumps back about 20 seconds

so, no, not obviously fixed but I will do a forced software update on the main and minis but other software updates seem to happen without manual intervention 

@AntAntAnt wrote:

Hi,

To be fair, she stated:-

'this was investigated by our support teams and fixed.'

Best Regards

Antony Higgins

About the first symptom, yes.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion