YouTube casting to sky Q

Researcher
Post 1 of 11

YouTube casting to sky Q

Hi I have a sky mini box that I could cast a exercise video to regularly. But now when I cast it come up as as it playing a tune and I get sound but no video! I can however cast the same video to other Sky Q box perfectly ... I have got to be something basic wrong ? What’s changed ? Appreciate any help / guidance  anyone can offer . 

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 11

Re: YouTube casting to sky Q

@HumbleUser wrote:

Hi I have a sky mini box that I could cast a exercise video to regularly. But now when I cast it come up as as it playing a tune and I get sound but no video! I can however cast the same video to other Sky Q box perfectly ... I have got to be something basic wrong ? What’s changed ? Appreciate any help / guidance  anyone can offer . 

Are you casting or using the Q YouTube app @HumbleUser ?

Researcher
Post 3 of 11

Hi thanks for your help , I am using the YouTube app on my iPhone and trying to cast to the sky mini box . It I do the same thing with a different mini box in another room works fine ..

Oracle
Post 4 of 11

@HumbleUser wrote:

Hi thanks for your help , I am using the YouTube app on my iPhone and trying to cast to the sky mini box . It I do the same thing with a different mini box in another room works fine ..

Hi @HumbleUser

Why don't you just use the YouTube App on the mini Box ?

Found in Home - Apps - YouTube

Oracle
Post 5 of 11

@oldfella

I think there's a confusion of terminology here: 'casting' YouTube usually just means sending a URL from a YouTube client on a mobile device to a YouTube client either on a smart TV or on a TV-attached device (such as a Q box), after entering a code that links the two.  The content is then sent from YouTube to that second device directly, not from the mobile hardware.  It's not 'casting' in the AirPlay sense, where content can be sent from mobile to another device.

@HumbleUser

You could try an app refresh on the Mini box

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Researcher
Post 6 of 11

Ok thanks for the terminology explanation, yes if I can’t get this to work as it did before then I will have to use the app on the mini box . It was just a lot more convenient using the phone to select different YouTube videos than using the remote that is more cumbersome. 

Interesting thing is it works with other mini boxes ..

Oracle
Post 7 of 11

@HumbleUser wrote:

Ok thanks for the terminology explanation, yes if I can’t get this to work as it did before then I will have to use the app on the mini box . It was just a lot more convenient using the phone to select different YouTube videos than using the remote that is more cumbersome. 

Interesting thing is it works with other mini boxes ..

Maybe try refreshing the Apps in the problem mini @HumbleUser

Found in the hidden menu

to Enter menu in the mini

1. Press the ‘Home’ button on your remote control.
  2. Scroll down to ‘Settings’ and DO NOT press select.
  3. Press ‘001’.
  4. Press ‘Select’

Refresh Apps

Also try rebooting the mini box.

Disconnect power lead for 30 secs and then reconnect

Researcher
Post 8 of 11

@HumbleUser wrote:

Great thanks for this , will try it when I get home tonight . 

@HumbleUser wrote:

Boom Operator
Post 9 of 11

Same problem for me from update this morning 

Runner
Post 10 of 11

I have the same problem. 

It still works on the main Sky Q 2TB box, but since the recent update which included Netflix, I can no longer cast from the YouTube App on my iPhone to either of my Sky Mini boxes. 

I open the YouTube App on my phone, select the Chromecast option (top right), a list of available devices appears (including the Sky Q 2TB, my LG TV, my Chromecast) but neither of the Sky mini boxes. 

I know I can watch via the YouTube app on the Sky mini box, but searching for content is so

much easier using the app on your phone rather than the Sky remote. 

Hope someone one can help me fix this?

New Viewer
Post 11 of 11

Same problem, I have found the following work around.

1. Go to you tube app settings on sky.

2. Select link tv

3. Open settings on you tube app select watch on tv.

4. Link tv using the code on the sky screen.

not quite as good as before as just days you tube tv but works.

Hopefully SKY will realise they have broke their mini boxes soon and sort it out.