When will sky q mini boxes go 4K

Oracle
Post 46 of 64

Re: When will sky q mini boxes go 4K

@JonW42 wrote:

@Suskha wrote:

For Sky Q to be able to service two 4k minis you would need the following :-

• Wifi bandwidth to cope with 2 x 4k streams throughout your house
  • Sky Q box itself to be able to recieve 3 or more 4k channels at the same time, stream them, record them and pause them
  • Mini box hardware upgraded to 4k

The whole setup is simply not capable so its not just a matter of releasing a 4k mini - its a matter of releasing a whole new setup - Sqy Q2 maybe Smiley Happy

The problem is that not everyone can have a wired connection to all the Sky boxes. It's just not feasable to think they can. The Q Hub would have to be upgraded as it's the weak link in a 4K seup. It's got poor WiFi and the WiFi is divided so you don't get full speed. I should be able to stream 4K Netflix and 4K Amazon Prime in the bedroom. I'm using a TP-Link Archer C60 via 5Ghz and it does reach into the bedroom where the second 4K TV is going on Sunday or Monday (depending on when I can get the stand delivered).

I would like to be able to watch 4K Sky in the bedroom. I think I have the bandwidth for it. There is one thing that can be done. Put in at least a 64GB SSD so the UHD programs can be buffered. That way if ajyone doesn't have the bandwidth to do a direct stream, the UHD content can be stored on the SSD and watched from there. Even live sports UHD could be buffered to the SSD. I know it means not watching live, but it would work.

The Q hub doesn't even need to be involved in box to box streaming - it's quite common for the minis to connect to the main box for their wifi access, especially for non-Sky broadband customers.

Can't see any point having an SSD for buffering on the minis either.  a UHD mini would be perfectly capable of buffering sufficiently in memory to cope with UHD streams, be they direct from Sky's (or even Netflix') backend servers, or streaming recordings & downloads from the main Q box.

I'd hope Sky are considering building Sky Q apps for smart TVs - then they could stream UHD from the main box to them...

Oracle
Post 47 of 64

@rscott wrote:

I'd hope Sky are considering building Sky Q apps for smart TVs - then they could stream UHD from the main box to them...

This is the web page for the only Q app currently available for televisions (on some Samsung models in Germany).  No mention of resolution that I can spot.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
First Assistant Director
Post 48 of 64

@rscott wrote:

@JonW42 wrote:

@Suskha wrote:

For Sky Q to be able to service two 4k minis you would need the following :-

• Wifi bandwidth to cope with 2 x 4k streams throughout your house
  • Sky Q box itself to be able to recieve 3 or more 4k channels at the same time, stream them, record them and pause them
  • Mini box hardware upgraded to 4k

The whole setup is simply not capable so its not just a matter of releasing a 4k mini - its a matter of releasing a whole new setup - Sqy Q2 maybe Smiley Happy

The problem is that not everyone can have a wired connection to all the Sky boxes. It's just not feasable to think they can. The Q Hub would have to be upgraded as it's the weak link in a 4K seup. It's got poor WiFi and the WiFi is divided so you don't get full speed. I should be able to stream 4K Netflix and 4K Amazon Prime in the bedroom. I'm using a TP-Link Archer C60 via 5Ghz and it does reach into the bedroom where the second 4K TV is going on Sunday or Monday (depending on when I can get the stand delivered).

I would like to be able to watch 4K Sky in the bedroom. I think I have the bandwidth for it. There is one thing that can be done. Put in at least a 64GB SSD so the UHD programs can be buffered. That way if ajyone doesn't have the bandwidth to do a direct stream, the UHD content can be stored on the SSD and watched from there. Even live sports UHD could be buffered to the SSD. I know it means not watching live, but it would work.

The Q hub doesn't even need to be involved in box to box streaming - it's quite common for the minis to connect to the main box for their wifi access, especially for non-Sky broadband customers.

Can't see any point having an SSD for buffering on the minis either.  a UHD mini would be perfectly capable of buffering sufficiently in memory to cope with UHD streams, be they direct from Sky's (or even Netflix') backend servers, or streaming recordings & downloads from the main Q box.

The 2TB box can only stream HD, at best, to external devices. I'm sure it's been mentioned before but it's a limitation of the chipset used in the box and as far as I know there isn't a chipset available that can stream UHD.

Post 49 of 64

@simon194 wrote:

The 2TB box can only stream HD, at best, to external devices. I'm sure it's been mentioned before but it's a limitation of the chipset used in the box and as far as I know there isn't a chipset available that can stream UHD.

Yes that is correct

Oracle
Post 50 of 64

@simon194 wrote:

as far as I know there isn't a chipset available that can stream UHD.

I'm not clear what you mean: it's obviously possibly to shift enough data over wifi to get UHD streaming, otherwise most on-TV UHD apps wouldn't be working on wireless links to a router.  18Mbs or so should be fine, and even 802.11g can manage that.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
First Assistant Director
Post 51 of 64

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@simon194 wrote:

I'm not clear what you mean: it's obviously possibly to shift enough data over wifi to get UHD streaming, otherwise most on-TV UHD apps wouldn't be working on wireless links to a router.  18Mbs or so should be fine, and even 802.11g can manage that.

The chipset in question is mainly the one in the main Q box in this instance. It cannot send UHD to other devices.

I am not aware of any ‘set-top box on a chip’ chips from the likes of Broadcom or ST Microelectronics that have anything other than HD streaming engines to feed slave boxes and tablets 

UHD apps on a TV say get their data from internet servers.

Oracle
Post 52 of 64

@GordonTGopher wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@simon194 wrote:

The chipset in question is mainly the one in the main Q box in this instance. It cannot send UHD to other devices.

I am not aware of any ‘set-top box on a chip’ chips from the likes of Broadcom or ST Microelectronics that have anything other than HD streaming engines to feed slave boxes and tablets 

The Q box would just have to stream the source material unchanged to a UHD client, presumably an http(s) stream?  I can't see why that would require any special hardware.

Surely the limitations of chipsets like the BCM7445 only apply if transcoding is required (as the Q box does for tablets/mobiles). 

First Assistant Director
Post 53 of 64

@GordonTGopher wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@simon194 wrote:

Sorry, but Broadcom released such a chip in 2015.

http://4k.com/news/broadcom-introduces-new-4k-wifi-chipsets-5940/

So given that Broadcom has such a chip that would do to allow UHD capable mini boxes, there's absolutly no reason we cannot have such other then Sky being cheap.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Boom Operator
Post 54 of 64

Yup, agreed- the Main Q Box doesn’t even need to be involved in any Streaming. It can already download UHD content, which it then decodes for itself.

If Sky can’t get the Mini Q to download the 4K content from its own servers, then it cannot be hard for the Mini to take the data (being the UHD download) from the main Q box and store it to it’s own storage to then decode and play. 

The only limitation is the very rare and elusive Live UHD content that Sky transmits over the Satellite. Other than F1 and a few other football matches which to be honest will not benefit from having 4K vision or HDR - along with Dolby Atmos as they’re live & un edited ... so surely before Sky implement HDR / Vision support they really should upgrade the mini Q so Movies and Box Sets can be viewed as they were filmed, rather than a 12+ year old technology.

First Assistant Director
Post 55 of 64

@AQG wrote:

Yup, agreed- the Main Q Box doesn’t even need to be involved in any Streaming. It can already download UHD content, which it then decodes for itself.

If Sky can’t get the Mini Q to download the 4K content from its own servers, then it cannot be hard for the Mini to take the data (being the UHD download) from the main Q box and store it to it’s own storage to then decode and play. 

The only limitation is the very rare and elusive Live UHD content that Sky transmits over the Satellite. Other than F1 and a few other football matches which to be honest will not benefit from having 4K vision or HDR - along with Dolby Atmos as they’re live & un edited ... so surely before Sky implement HDR / Vision support they really should upgrade the mini Q so Movies and Box Sets can be viewed as they were filmed, rather than a 12+ year old technology.

A good example in favor of HDR was Wimbledon Tennis. It was broadcasty on Sky in UHD/SDR and it looked a bit flat. On BBC iPlayer, it was in UHD/HLG and it did look as it should. HLG made the difference. So yes, HLG will make a difference to live sports. But I do think that Sky should be able to show pre-recorded programs with HDR while they sourt out HDR for live programs. I don't see why Sky doesn't do this.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
First Assistant Director
Post 56 of 64

@JonW42 wrote:

@GordonTGopher wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@simon194 wrote:

Sorry, but Broadcom released such a chip in 2015.

http://4k.com/news/broadcom-introduces-new-4k-wifi-chipsets-5940/

So given that Broadcom has such a chip that would do to allow UHD capable mini boxes, there's absolutly no reason we cannot have such other then Sky being cheap.

The chips mentioned in that article are not mentioned on the Broadcom website as available System On a Chip set-top box solutions

First Assistant Director
Post 57 of 64

@AQG wrote:

The mini does not have its own local storage. It would have an element of memory to buffer streaming content to stop glitching from main box but that’s it.

Viewer
Post 58 of 64

There seems to be a lot of discussion on here about the standard wifi being an issue when playing 4K. 

If so then why does my new Sony tv play 4K content from both Amazon Prime and Netflix without a problem? I just have ordinary Sky internet not cable. If my tv will do it why can sky not make my mini box do it? Surely it could run via the Internet rather than satellite. 

Oracle
Post 59 of 64

@Bribritt wrote:

There seems to be a lot of discussion on here about the standard wifi being an issue when playing 4K. 

If so then why does my new Sony tv play 4K content from both Amazon Prime and Netflix without a problem? I just have ordinary Sky internet not cable. If my tv will do it why can sky not make my mini box do it? Surely it could run via the Internet rather than satellite. 

Short answer: Sky can't 'make' your Mini box do it, because your Mini box does not have a UHD video chipset to output a UHD signal to your television.  At the very least, a new generation of Mini box hardware would be required.

In addition, we know that a proportion of Minibox users have problems with wifi connectivity to them when using the current HD (at best) data rate.  It would  seem reasonable to assume that this proportion would be higher with the more demanding nature of UHD data rates, which does bring into question what percentage of unhappy users Sky is prepared to live with.  Even built-in buffering doesn't necessarily solve this problem: imagine watching a 'live' football match on a hypothetical 4K Mini that is lagging minutes behind the actual game....

Oracle
Post 60 of 64

Hi @Bribritt welcome to the forum.

I agree that WiFi speeds should not be a factor. Currently apart from apps like Netflix and You Tube everything in UHD is either downloaded to the main Q box’s hard disc or via its satellite tuners then sent to the Q minis. You could design a simple UHD streaming box but that would change the product quite fundamentally so personally I don’t expect Sky will do that..

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Recommended Threads