First Assistant Director
Post 31 of 64

Re: When will sky q mini boxes go 4K

@JamboLinnman wrote:

@GordonTGopher wrote:

@JamboLinnman wrote:

@GordonTGopher wrote:

@JamboLinnman wrote:

I agree with you that the WiFi performance will be a consideration but Sky Q boxes are configurable using Ethernet cables (and have been since launch) which, with the right broadband package, gives ample connection speed for UHD content.  This is how mine is set up but I appreciate that I will be in the minority on this.

You could have 10GBit wired from main box to mini but that is no use if the main box cannot sustain the data throughput.

Thanks for that but I’m not sure what you are saying (or suggesting) here.  

Both Sky Q boxes (main and mini) are connected by Ethernet cable to local access points.

It has been suggested above that hard wiring of boxes rather than wifi could remove a bottleneck for streaming UHD to mini boxes. My point is the hardware does not exist yet to sustain UHD streams at a box level as in data coming out of main box to minis.

An internet anology is you have an 80MBit broadband connection but the source server can only service a 5 MBit connection point to point for sake of argument so no amount of throwing bandwidth at your end will cause other end to give you more data

Thanks for the clarification.  So you believe that the main Sky Q box is a bottleneck.  Do you know that it’s incapable for sure or is it an educated deduction or an assumption?  On the basis that you are correct, Sky would need to upgrade both the main and mini boxes or change the technology to stream to minis directly, without having to involve the main box.  Do you or anyone else know if other providers can do 4K multiroom and, if so, why they can achieve it?

Set-top boxes are based around third party set-top box on a chip architecture and the current generation only support HD streaming to multi room devices.

Streaming would in most cases be main to mini as satellite feeds and recordings come via main

Sound Designer
Post 32 of 64

The question isn’t really “how many people have more than one 4K TV?” it’s more “how many people sit within 2 metres of their 4K TV and how many people have a 100 inch UHD screen/projector?”Any difference you notice between HD and UHD even if you have a large (>50”) screen is mostly placebo unless you live in a box. Of course people into stuff like Sky Q are more likely to be the sorts of people who want the latest tech, so there will be demand and I’m sure it will happen. But in practical terms it will make little difference to most. 

HDR? That’s a different story altogether. 

Oracle
Post 33 of 64

@JamboLinnman wrote:

Do you or anyone else know if other providers can do 4K multiroom and, if so, why they can achieve it?

Virgin V6 offers 4K to more than one screen in a household, but they do this by splitting what is inherently a very fast dedicated cable connection with a known and consistent bandwidth and then wiring it to each TV box.  This means they can manage Quality-of-Service from end to end, which gives than a big advantage over the vagaries of broadband and WiFi that most Q customers encounter.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Researcher
Post 34 of 64

The issue for me is with two 4k tvs I would like to see UHD and HDR (when available) on both sets there are now thousands of people with 4k sets and this will continue to rise so I am sure sky won't want to loose customers to Virgin if they can't provide this service they need to give us the option.

Camera Assistant
Post 35 of 64

For Sky Q to be able to service two 4k minis you would need the following :-

• Wifi bandwidth to cope with 2 x 4k streams throughout your house
  • Sky Q box itself to be able to recieve 3 or more 4k channels at the same time, stream them, record them and pause them
  • Mini box hardware upgraded to 4k

The whole setup is simply not capable so its not just a matter of releasing a 4k mini - its a matter of releasing a whole new setup - Sqy Q2 maybe Smiley Happy

Camera Assistant
Post 36 of 64

@mrbubby wrote:

The question isn’t really “how many people have more than one 4K TV?” it’s more “how many people sit within 2 metres of their 4K TV and how many people have a 100 inch UHD screen/projector?”Any difference you notice between HD and UHD even if you have a large (>50”) screen is mostly placebo unless you live in a box.

Old argument and pretty much irrelevent. Folks are paying for 4k and they want 4k everywhere - wether they can tell its 4k or not.

First Assistant Director
Post 37 of 64

@Suskha wrote:

• Sky Q box itself to be able to recieve 3 or more 4k channels at the same time, stream them, record them and pause them

The whole setup is simply not capable so its not just a matter of releasing a 4k mini - its a matter of releasing a whole new setup - Sqy Q2 maybe Smiley Happy

It's not just wifi, your broadband connection would need to be capable of handling more than one UHD stream. Mine certainly can't.

Post 38 of 64

@simon194 wrote:

It's not just wifi, your broadband connection would need to be capable of handling more than one UHD stream. Mine certainly can't. 

Not necessarily: a 4K Mini would presumably be retrieving its content from the main box, as the current model does now with HD and SD, so UHD intended for a 4K Mini could be downloaded over time (even on ADSL),  or made from the satellite, and stored on the main box.  The current on-demand Sky UHD isn't streamed, it's all recording from internet to disk and then playing from there.  Household WiFi remains the big obstacle, supposing the Q hardware itself is upgraded in new models.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Sound Designer
Post 39 of 64

It’s not an argument, it’s an observation. It’s also one that most people aren’t aware of and I think it’s reasonable to point out what is essentially a massive con-job perpetuated by TV manufacturers. Now if a person, knowing that information, chooses to spend money chasing extra pixels then at least they’ve made an informed choice. 

Of course, with 8k tellys now released, complete with unfit-for-purpose HDMI ports and no content besides some dodgy YouTube clips, maybe people will start demanding their Sky boxes support that too?

Oracle
Post 40 of 64

@mrbubby wrote:

Of course, with 8k tellys now released, complete with unfit-for-purpose HDMI ports and no content besides some dodgy YouTube clips, maybe people will start demanding their Sky boxes support that too?

I am amused by the thought that the handful of people who can afford first generation 8K sets are going to have to feed them with four HDMI leads just to shift enough bits.   At least Samsung now actually have a reason for their OneConnect concept....

Boom Operator
Post 41 of 64

I can’t personally see where a 4K stream capable Main Box would be needed...  Sky’s Live 4K content offering is lacklustre at best. A couple of Live sport channels now and again, that is it...   Sky are well behind the competition like that of iTunes and Netflix when it comes to the on-demand 4K downloadable/streamed content... and if you have a 4K TV connected to your Mini then you can just watch Netflix off it’s Smart TV function.

For those with Slow Internet, what Live 4K movies or box sets can they watch via the actual Satellite? The odd one on Sky One/Atlantic maybe... 

The flip side to that is if Sky only really offer their 4K content via download then why not have a Mini box with 8Gb of RAM to cache/ prebuffer the stream. Or a  measly 16Gb SSD. That way only the mini needs upgrading as the main box shouldn’t be doing any decoding just sending data? 

Heck, the Sky Q silver was an extra £200 or £75-95 + £12 a month to unlock 4K or So I’d pay a one off £30 for a 4K Mini Q- seeing as their NowTV 4K Box is under £50. 

As for WiFi bandwidth 4K streams can easily be transmitted with current 5Ghz and even 2.4Ghz technology. 

Looking towards 802.11ax or WiFi 6 as a solution will be years off- for client devices and that won’t solve the range of a 1 unit, modem/router/access point setup that the vast majority of people have and complain about!! I doubt people will be keen to pop in 2+ new WiFi 6 access points when their ISP ‘may’, given time give them 1 WiFi6 combined unit. 

Oracle
Post 42 of 64

@AQG The video output chips in the mini and 1TB box do not support UHD which is why a new box is required it is not a streaming issue alone. In fact I suspect that the streaming can be sorted most networks can support a 18Mb/s stream or UHD Netflix would not work. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Boom Operator
Post 43 of 64

@Chrisee Yes- I agree that the Mini’s chipset couldn’t handle 4K but seeing as the amount of actual Live 4K content from Sky is limited to a couple of sports, the majority of UHD content is being consumed via download/ on demand.

There is less need for the main Q box to send live 4K streams to the Mini. The Mini 4K could act similarly to the NowTV 4K Box... whether it downloads 4K content as purely data from the Main Q box and then decodes it - or whether it streams / downloads UHD content from Sky’s servers. That way, the Main Sky Q box will not need upgrading. 

Oracle
Post 44 of 64

@AQG The Q system simply does not work like that the main box acts as the server for everything. Of course you could residesign from the ground up but no sign that Sky are doing that. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
First Assistant Director
Post 45 of 64

@Suskha wrote:

The problem is that not everyone can have a wired connection to all the Sky boxes. It's just not feasable to think they can. The Q Hub would have to be upgraded as it's the weak link in a 4K seup. It's got poor WiFi and the WiFi is divided so you don't get full speed. I should be able to stream 4K Netflix and 4K Amazon Prime in the bedroom. I'm using a TP-Link Archer C60 via 5Ghz and it does reach into the bedroom where the second 4K TV is going on Sunday or Monday (depending on when I can get the stand delivered).

I would like to be able to watch 4K Sky in the bedroom. I think I have the bandwidth for it. There is one thing that can be done. Put in at least a 64GB SSD so the UHD programs can be buffered. That way if ajyone doesn't have the bandwidth to do a direct stream, the UHD content can be stored on the SSD and watched from there. Even live sports UHD could be buffered to the SSD. I know it means not watching live, but it would work.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini