When will sky q mini boxes go 4K

Oracle
Post 16 of 64

Re: When will sky q mini boxes go 4K

@NickH161 wrote:

Can’t see this happening personally and I can’t imagine many having 4K TVs in every room 

It's getting increasingly difficult to buy sets which aren't UHD-capable, particularly in the larger sizes....

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Camera Operator
Post 17 of 64

I'd be willing to bet that Sky Q2, or whatever it is called, will support multi 4K streams and so will the replacement Minis. The chipsets they use will almost inevitably support it. When will any "Q2" be released? No idea! 1-5 years is a good bet (if not particularly helpful!).

Neither broadband, nor home network speed will be a limiting factor for those committed to make it work (300Mb/s broadband and Gigabit wired ethernet is easily up to several 4K streams; Good moderrn wifi will be fine too.) But, yeah, I'm sure it will show up problems in many home networks!

Post 18 of 64

From Home Cinema Choice magazine in May 2016 (http://www.homecinemachoice.com/content/sky-4k-sky-q-mini-not-ruled-out):

Sky has admitted to HCC that its new Sky Q Mini second-room TV streamer is unable to play 4K content from a Sky Q Silver UHD set-top box, but the company isn’t ruling out the possibility of a UHD Mini when it thinks the time is right.

'We don't think this is a problem at launch as the penetration of 4K TVs is so low,' comments Sky's Director of New Products Andrew Olson, 'but you can imagine over time there will be a version that will support 4K. But as of right now the Mini is exactly the same as our Sky Q standard PVR. It has the same chipset.' Consequently, any 4K recordings on the Silver won't be visible to users of the Mini, he says.

Given that 4k TVs are now the norm, Sky are now behind the market demand.  I’ve persoanlly had two 4k displays for some time.  The second is a projector with a 110” screen so UHD content (from Blu Ray, PrimeVideo, Netflix and YouTube) looks far better on it than HD.  Would be good to know where Sky is with this.

Oracle
Post 19 of 64

@Linnman welcome to the forum.

Sky rarely comment on future developments and have not as yet said anything about UHD Q minis. If they ever do it will be widely reported as they tend to brief technical journalists before launch. Agree the time is ripe but until Sky briefs us any dates are guess work.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Researcher
Post 20 of 64

So how are they accomodating people who have more than 1 4k TV? This will need to be addressed soon.......

Oracle
Post 21 of 64

@wavvy wrote:

So how are they accomodating people who have more than 1 4k TV? This will need to be addressed soon.......

I would imagine it has to be in a development roadmap somewhere, just not in any of the public ones.  As Sky are a listed company (and one which has just changed ownership), any information about future products and services which might cause the share price to move is sensitive.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
First Assistant Director
Post 22 of 64

@wavvy wrote:

This also requires new set-top box chips to be designed so not something Sky alone can control. The IP streams on the current Broadcom chips is HD only.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/BRCM/0x0x626744/0d8b204e-20a2-4551-9501-01e663db38ee/BRCM_New...

Camera Operator
Post 23 of 64

and as discussed earlier it will also require considerably more robust home WiFi than many customers, even with a Sky Mesh, currently have.

I'm sure it will come, but only with new Sky Q gear and, to be cost effectivly supportable,, a new generation of WiFi, based on 802.11ax, maybe?

Post 24 of 64

I agree with you that the WiFi performance will be a consideration but Sky Q boxes are configurable using Ethernet cables (and have been since launch) which, with the right broadband package, gives ample connection speed for UHD content.  This is how mine is set up but I appreciate that I will be in the minority on this.

Camera Operator
Post 25 of 64

Yeah, my boxes are all ethernet connected too. But we are oddities! Smiley LOL

Post 26 of 64

@JamboLinnman wrote:

I agree with you that the WiFi performance will be a consideration but Sky Q boxes are configurable using Ethernet cables (and have been since launch) which, with the right broadband package, gives ample connection speed for UHD content.  This is how mine is set up but I appreciate that I will be in the minority on this.

You could have 10GBit wired from main box to mini but that is no use if the main box cannot sustain the data throughput.

Researcher
Post 27 of 64

@GordonTGopher wrote:

@JamboLinnman wrote:

You could have 10GBit wired from main box to mini but that is no use if the main box cannot sustain the data throughput.

Thanks for that but I’m not sure what you are saying (or suggesting) here.  

Both Sky Q boxes (main and mini) are connected by Ethernet cable to local access points.

First Assistant Director
Post 28 of 64

@JamboLinnman wrote:

@GordonTGopher wrote:

@JamboLinnman wrote:

Both Sky Q boxes (main and mini) are connected by Ethernet cable to local access points.

It has been suggested above that hard wiring of boxes rather than wifi could remove a bottleneck for streaming UHD to mini boxes. My point is the hardware does not exist yet to sustain UHD streams at a box level as in data coming out of main box to minis.

An internet anology is you have an 80MBit broadband connection but the source server can only service a 5 MBit connection point to point for sake of argument so no amount of throwing bandwidth at your end will cause other end to give you more data

Researcher
Post 29 of 64

@GordonTGopher wrote:

@JamboLinnman wrote:

@GordonTGopher wrote:

@JamboLinnman wrote:

It has been suggested above that hard wiring of boxes rather than wifi could remove a bottleneck for streaming UHD to mini boxes. My point is the hardware does not exist yet to sustain UHD streams at a box level as in data coming out of main box to minis.

An internet anology is you have an 80MBit broadband connection but the source server can only service a 5 MBit connection point to point for sake of argument so no amount of throwing bandwidth at your end will cause other end to give you more data

Thanks for the clarification.  So you believe that the main Sky Q box is a bottleneck.  Do you know that it’s incapable for sure or is it an educated deduction or an assumption?  On the basis that you are correct, Sky would need to upgrade both the main and mini boxes or change the technology to stream to minis directly, without having to involve the main box.  Do you or anyone else know if other providers can do 4K multiroom and, if so, why they can achieve it?

Camera Operator
Post 30 of 64

That wasn't my suggestion, if you thought it was. I was saying that even upgrading the Sky Q at some point in the future won't work for many as their WiFi is likely not up to the job. A WiFi upgrade may be needed too for Sky to even offer a 4K mini over wifi without a lot of support issues.