Discussion topic: Using Sky Q ethernet socket to both connect to broadband router and minibox

This message was authored by Richard61 This message was authored by: Richard61

Using Sky Q ethernet socket to both connect to broadband router and minibox

Is it possible to use the single ethernet port in the back of a Sky Q box to receive incoming data from a non-Sky router (rather than connecting wirelessly) and to connect by hardwire to my Sky minibox (outgoing - the minibox is in a location that doesn't have wi-fi) at the same time?

Best Answers
Richard61
Topic Author
This message was authored by Richard61 This message was authored by: Richard61 Answer

Re: Using Sky Q ethernet socket to both connect to broadband router and minibox

Thank you TommyBGood, Chodley and nigea99. I will go down the unmanaged switch route. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Richard61 wrote:

Is it possible to use the single ethernet port in the back of a Sky Q box to receive incoming data from a non-Sky router (rather than connecting wirelessly) and to connect by hardwire to my Sky minibox (outgoing - the minibox is in a location that doesn't have wi-fi) at the same time?

hi @Richard61 

Clearly as there is only a single port you cannot connect 2 cables directly. 

You just need a simple unmanged network  switch  to provide more ports to plug into

Richard61
Topic Author
This message was authored by Richard61 This message was authored by: Richard61

Thank you nigea99. I was assuming that I would need to connect a splitter into which both the internet and mini box ethernet cables could be connected.  If I do this, do you think that would enable two way, simultaneous connections?

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

That's what ethernet switches do. They are smart and not just like an analog electrical connection so they recognise where each packet that arrives at each port needs to be sent next, out of which other port.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Richard61 wrote:

Thank you nigea99. I was assuming that I would need to connect a splitter into which both the internet and mini box ethernet cables could be connected.  If I do this, do you think that would enable two way, simultaneous connections?

hi @Richard61 

It is not a splitter which is something different.

A simple unmanaged switch (typically 4 way but can have more)  allows you to plug in the cable from the router, a lead to the main box & a lead to the mini. 

The location of such a switch can be  wherever is more convenient for your layout

I don't use one for my mini but have one next to my main box with other connections going to the TV and AV amp & other equipment

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Richard61 

Not an unpowered 'splitter', which exist, but for an entirely different* and irrelevant purpose.

As advised (and counterintuitively) what you need is a powered 'switch' 

Something like a Netgear GS305 for about £20

1000003738.jpg

*putting two physically separate 100Mbs data connections down one strand of ethernet cable by using two pairs each.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Richard61
Topic Author
This message was authored by Richard61 This message was authored by: Richard61 Answer

Thank you TommyBGood, Chodley and nigea99. I will go down the unmanaged switch route. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion