Discussion topic: This screen does not support HDCP. Try reconnecting your HDMI cable, or use a different screen

This message was authored by hairydan This message was authored by: hairydan

This screen does not support HDCP. Try reconnecting your HDMI cable, or use a different screen

Hi, I am having a problem with my sky q box, this started intermittently where I would get a blue screen and the error message "This screen does not support HDCP. Try reconnecting your HDMI cable, or use a different screen" If I switched the box and the tv off it would work again but now I only get the blue screen witht the error. I have tried the following

• Rebooted the sky box and the TV
  • Reset the TV back to factory settings
  • I have connected a different TV to the sky box (still get the error)
  • I have tried a different HDMI port and cable (I have ordered a new cable just in case my spare is faulty)
  • I have unplugged all the hdmi devices from the tv apart from the Sky Q box (chromecast, dvd player & amazon stick)
  • I can watch stuff from my phone that I send to the Google Chromecast when it is plugged into the TV

On the sky help page it says to check your software version but I can't do this because when the box is switched on it shows the 'home screen' for a split second and then goes to the blue fault screen so no matter how long I press my home button nothing happens so I can't get into settings.

I have tried contacting customer services but  no matter what you say on the automated line it just tells you that it is sending a text message out with a link to the website help pages and too hang up, it appears you can't speak to anybody or report a fault😞

Is there anything else I can try or is there another way to report a fault?

Best Answers
hairydan
Topic Author
This message was authored by hairydan This message was authored by: hairydan Answer

Re: This screen does not support HDCP. Try reconnecting your HDMI cable, or use a different screen

Well a new HDMI cable has fixed my problem, hopefully. The cables sky are supplying must be great quality if they only last 6 months! Thanks for the help guys👍

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: This screen does not support HDCP. Try reconnecting your HDMI cable, or use a different screen

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

That's almost always a cable/connection/socket issue.  HDCP relies on an initial exchange of encryption keys between the source and destination which can get screwed up by any transmission problems. What TV is it?

hairydan
Topic Author

Hi @Chodley thanks for the quick reply, it's a Samsung 48" but I'm not sure about the model, I tried an older Samsung TV and an iiyama monitor with an HDMI in port on it and both showed the same fault. The new HDMI cable I've ordered should be here tomorrow on the off chance that the spare one I have is also faulty.

This message was authored by hammerjeff This message was authored by: hammerjeff

@hairydan  I had this the other day on a tv with a mini box.It's worked perfectly for 10 months.All I did was unplug the power for 30 seconds push the hdmi cable in firmly on the mini box and tv and it hasn't happened since.These random messages on q products are certainly starting to increase,software problems?

This message was authored by Richard+Osborne This message was authored by: Richard+Osborne

Turn on the TV FIRST.  Turn Sky Q box after on after so that it triggers the HDMI handshake.

hairydan
Topic Author

Thank you for the replies, I've tried turning it off and back on again, I've left the power plugs out of the Sky Q box and the TV for at least five minutes. I've tried turning the TV on first and then the Sky Q box and vice versa, the young lady who fitted my system a couple of months ago used a new HDMI cable and left the old one with my as a spare, I've tried both with no sucess. I have a new HDMI cable being delivered sometime today so will try that when it arrives but if that doesn't work I'm at a loss as to what I can do. It seems impossible to get through to Sky on the phone.😞

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Doubt there's anything Sky can do anyway.

Unless it's a faulty box. Have you tried different TVs?

hairydan
Topic Author
This message was authored by hairydan This message was authored by: hairydan Answer

Well a new HDMI cable has fixed my problem, hopefully. The cables sky are supplying must be great quality if they only last 6 months! Thanks for the help guys👍

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@hairydan wrote:

@hairydan glad you are sorted guess you must have had a dodgy cable I've had the same 3 HDMI cables attached to my TVs  that were supplied by Sky when I had Sky Q install almost 4 and 1/2years ago and they are still working fine for me 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Potato03 This message was authored by: Potato03

A Sky man came out yesterday to connect me as I am anew costumer. Everything was working fine. I put the Sky Q box on standby to go to work and when I came home, I pressed the standby button again to watch T.V, this message came on. I have done what the online information says but still nothing 🙁

This message was authored by TwoTBJunk This message was authored by: TwoTBJunk

Have always had HDCP issues and 2TB Box Issues, not waking up and needing to reboot my box several times a day.

Bit the bullet last week, took my TV off the wall, removed all my old HDMI leads (imbedded in the wall - hard work!) and replaced them all with 8K capable HDMI leads.

Then ordered a replacement box, fortunate to receive a 3rd Generation Q Box and it's been absolutely perfect for 3 days running now.

I'm hoping that's the end of the matter!

This message was authored by mlclaw This message was authored by: mlclaw

For anyone still struggling with this I have had it non-stop with my Samsung 4k tv (2019) sky dont want to know, samsung dont want to know, got sick of having to reset my box every morning when I came down and turned the tv on, so I took a gamble and bought a 4k UHD hdmi splitter off amazon for £12, it seems to bypass the hdcp handshake and ive had no problems since

This message was authored by Claire+009 This message was authored by: Claire+009

Hey, thanks for this info.

Any hints or tips on which model splitter did the job for you ?

This message was authored by mlclaw This message was authored by: mlclaw

4K@60Hz HDMI SPLITTER,4K HDMI SPLITTER for 2 Monitors - Auto Scaling Function,【Duplicate 2 Same Outputs,Not Extend】, 1x2 HDMI SPLITTER for 3840x2160@60Hz,HDCP2.2,HDR,RGB 4:4:4, 18.5Gbps,1080P,3D https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089761YXC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_nQd8FbHGKAEPT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

this is the one I have, havent had a single issue in 3 months, hope that helps

This message was authored by hullkr This message was authored by: hullkr

Re: This screen does not support HDCP. **** SAMSUNG FIRMWARE UPDATE DEC 2019*****

**** SAMSUNG FIRMWARE UPDATE DEC 2019 ***

I had same issues for past few months , especially if i change from SKY-Q to firestick  , also if i turn TV off .

I have a samsung UE55RU7470U 4K TV , Tried auto update over internet on the tv , nothing says uptodate software version 1371 . I went on Samsung support page and as of 29th Dec 2019 , there is a new firmware update to download - 1374  . installed via usb (suggest you download manual as well on firmware upgrade , as the extract directory has to be correct)

Now when it searches first time for any device , ie SKY Q or firestick etc it say TV may adjust resolution automatically etc. dudnt get this before .

I have set me SKY Q To UHD , my firestick to best available , and all worked fine  , firestick is now Locked to 4K 60hz , along with sky q and all good

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion