Discussion topic: Third party broadband: connect Sky Q and Syk Q Mini in the annex...

This message was authored by KENNEY85 This message was authored by: KENNEY85

Third party broadband: connect Sky Q and Syk Q Mini in the annex...

Hello,

I do apologise as I know this type of question has been ask a lot, but I can't find what I need to know for my specific set up. 

We recently cancelled our broadband with Sky as we live rurally and got less than 1mbps. We are now using a third party provider.

We have annex which is approx. 35-40 away from the house. I want to connect a Sky Q Mini Box so my Dad can watch the sports. 

My question is how do I connect this? Can I run and ethernet cable directly from the router or the Sky Q box as it's too far over Wi-Fi? I assume this will take some of the speed away from my Sky Box, so can I run a cable from the router to the Sky Q main Box and then use some kind of splitter to connect the Main Box to the Mini via a seperate cable?

If the main box is connected to the router via ethernet, can I connect the mini box straight to thd router?

Also, while I am here, am I right in thinking the Sky Q Mini box can also act as a mobile hotspot? 

I am quite tech savvy, but I would need to research to find out exactly what I need.

Many thanks, 

Leanne

Best Answers
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

Re: Third party broadband: connect Sky Q and Syk Q Mini in the annex...

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @KENNEY85 

With 3rd party boardband/wifi:

You can connect the mini direct to the main box via ethernet, or if your main box is connected to your router via ethernet then you can also connect the mini to the router via ethernet

What tou can't do is connect the mini via ethernet to the router and have the main box connected via wifi to the router

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

hi @KENNEY85 

With 3rd party boardband/wifi:

You can connect the mini direct to the main box via ethernet, or if your main box is connected to your router via ethernet then you can also connect the mini to the router via ethernet

What tou can't do is connect the mini via ethernet to the router and have the main box connected via wifi to the router

KENNEY85
Topic Author

Thank you @nigea99, this is good news. As there is only one ethernet port on both Sky Q box and my router, do you know what I could use to "split" or create another port? 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@KENNEY85 wrote:

Thank you @nigea99, this is good news. As there is only one ethernet port on both Sky Q box and my router, do you know what I could use to "split" or create another port? 

hi @KENNEY85 

You can get a simple 'unmanaged' switch - these often have 5 or 8  ports (they don't have an input as such - you just plug the cables in any port)

BTW do not get an ethernet  'Splitter' as these are different 

KENNEY85
Topic Author

@nigea99 You're the best. I have a 70m ethernet cable arriving tomorrow so I will akso get an unmanged switch too.

While I have you, do you know of I can use the Sky Q Mini as a hotspot too? Please 🙏 🙂

@KENNEY85 wrote:

@nigea99 You're the best. I have a 70m ethernet cable arriving tomorrow so I will akso get an unmanged switch too.

While I have you, do you know of I can use the Sky Q Mini as a hotspot too? Please 🙏 🙂

Yes  this was introduced a few Software releases  ago - although reports have been mixed on how good - but in your case being further away from home wifi  it might be OK

There is an option (on the main box only) to set it on for all boxes :

Home - Settings - Setup - Network - Advanced Settings - Wifi Hotspots 

KENNEY85
Topic Author

My parents won't need exceptional speeds so hopefully it will be OK. Thank you so very much for taking the time to help. This is fab. Xx

This message was authored by JimBu This message was authored by: JimBu

Hi,

I'm in a very similar situation.  I have connected my Sky Q to my new provider's router wirelessly and then connected my mini-box (about 50m away, behind two 1.5m thick stone walls - hence no wifi connecton avalable between the devices) to the Sky Q by ethernet.  All works fine, however, the wireless hot-spot which the mini-box used to create no longer works.  I was told by a Sky technician that this is to be expected, the mini-boxes can only set up a hot-spot when using Sky broadband.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@JimBu wrote:

Hi,

I'm in a very similar situation.  I have connected my Sky Q to my new provider's router wirelessly and then connected my mini-box (about 50m away, behind two 1.5m thick stone walls - hence no wifi connecton avalable between the devices) to the Sky Q by ethernet.  All works fine, however, the wireless hot-spot which the mini-box used to create no longer works.  I was told by a Sky technician that this is to be expected, the mini-boxes can only set up a hot-spot when using Sky broadband.

That used to be true

Just put a normal wifi extender (that can use ethernet backhaul, some can only use wifi on both sides) in there and connect it to the ethernet you put in, alongside the mini.

@JimBu wrote:

Hi,

That used to be the case but they introduced hotspots for use with 3rd party a few releases ago - the setting is , however, on the main box as it sets for all Q boxes

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion