Discussion topic: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

This message was authored by Ulukai This message was authored by: Ulukai

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

Would have been nice to spell Adieu properly, but it's an appropriate end to this mess.  😵

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ulukai wrote:

Would have been nice to spell Adieu properly, but it's an appropriate end to this mess.  😵

😀

There is one big difference from appleTV or Roku. It's not acting like a media server mesh at the same time. I do think there's at least one fundamental flaw in the networking stack somewhere related to it dynamically trying to assign bridging responsibilities to different nodes in the mesh and choosing badly or something like that.

This message was authored by JasonKruys This message was authored by: JasonKruys

I am now frequently getting this problem (loss of internet/network connection), and my SkyQ boxes are hardwired with the internal WiFi disabled. Unplugging the power on the main Q box restores the connection. It is happening every few days since the end of July, and I can categorically say it is not a home network issue - a change in the Sky box behaviour is causing these issues suddenly after several years of no issues. It is usually set up with a reserved address on the DHCP server, but I have also tried manually specifying the IP/Gateway/DNS which makes no difference (when im the fault condition). 

I'll see if I can work out what the Sky box is doing (or more likely, not doing) on the network when I get a chance.

Interestingly, one odd symptom is that in the fault condition, if I set the IP settings manually, then try and go back into the menu to set to Automatic (to try and trigger a DHCP Discover) it won't switch back to Automatic - clicking the button does nothing. 

EDIT: It also seems doing a software update (re-applying the same one, as currently up to date) does enough of a reset on the box to bring it back on the network when it comes back up. A power on/power off (soft/standby) or leaving overnight does not. 

EDIT2: A very quick look at logs suggests the lease expires, and thr box never sends a request for a renewal. The mini boxes continue to do so, however. It's not the first expiry either - it just seems to randomly stop requesting a new lease at some point after several renewals. 

This message was authored by Julie147 This message was authored by: Julie147

Mine has disconnected from my broadband twice already today! I wonder if Trading Standards could help?  Clearly Sky don't bother to read this forum, and if they do, they do eff all about helping us! 

This message was authored by JasonKruys This message was authored by: JasonKruys

This is happening on a daily basis now. Pulled power on my box about 2 hours ago, restarted, network connectivity restored. 2 hours later, dropped off the network (wired) again. 

How long is it going to take for Sky to acknowledge there is an issue here - there are plenty of reports. Hopefully not as long as the SSDP spamming issue. Just because it doesn't happen to everyone, it doesn't mean the issue is not a change in the box behaviour in a certain environment. Has Sky reached put to anyone to work through what might be causing it?

@JasonKruys wrote:

This is happening on a daily basis now. Pulled power on my box about 2 hours ago, restarted, network connectivity restored. 2 hours later, dropped off the network (wired) again. 

How long is it going to take for Sky to acknowledge there is an issue here - there are plenty of reports. Hopefully not as long as the SSDP spamming issue. Just because it doesn't happen to everyone, it doesn't mean the issue is not a change in the box behaviour in a certain environment. Has Sky reached put to anyone to work through what might be causing it?

And wifi is disabled?

Do you have sky broadband or is it from another provider?

I assume my box will have disconnected every time I switch it on.  Unfortunately I'm right.  It disconnected twice yesterday and once, when I'd forgotten I'd switched it off and back on again, it disconnected again before I could use it.  Funnily enough,  the problem has doubled since I renewed my contract with Sky about 10 days ago.  After they asked why I don't have their broadband.  It really is **bleep**. 😡

You're still in the cooling off period. I've canned sky and have already bought an Xbox and Xbox subscription with the money I'll save over the next 12 months. And that includes keeping Netflix and paramount+ 😂 

I think it's fair to say that sky really aren't competitive or relevant in 2024. 🤷‍♂️ 

Thank you.  That's really useful to know.  I'll make some enquiries.   I've never had an XBox, so I know nothing about them.  Much appreciated.  

@Chodley Yes. WiFi is disabled.

The box just stops sending packets on the network. The only thing that fixes it is pulling the power, or doing an update (which I guess whether it applies a new update or the same one it goes through the 'hard reboot' process) -  where it then works for a while, then stops sending any packets or DCHP solicits - no connections or network traffic shown on the firewall. I've set a manual IP, same thing happens - after while network traffic just stops. 

Link is shown on the switch, unplugging and re-plugging the network cable does nothing. Rebooting the switch does nothing. Switching to another port does nothing. All 3 mini devices continue to send traffic on the network, renew DHCP leases, but of course cannot find the main box so complain.

I am beginning to think I must have a box with a hardware issue since a hard reboot fixes it for a short amount of time - it just seems odd that there are suddenly a disproportionately high number of reports of network connectivity issues appearing across the forum.

Edited - spelling

That sounds very similar to the symptoms I used to get but never had it happen on ethernet.

Did you check it hasn't re-enabled wifi on one of the boxes?

They're only for games but I have a son who is much more interested in that than sky TV.  If you want a streaming box for Netflix etc check out Apple TV box or Roku of Amazon fire sticks. 

it's amazing that sky don't feel the urge to chime in here and keep customers. As I said though, they almost seemed happy to hear that I was cancelling. 😂 

@Chodley Yes, double checked and WiFi is not re-enabled.

I've just put my laptop on the same network, and using Wireshark I cannot see any network traffic at all from the Main Box. Plenty of ARP Broadcasts from the Mini's looking for the main box.

Pulled the power so the box performs a hard-restart, and when it comes back up wireshark shows network traffic from the Main Box - traffic as expected, ARP Broadcasts, SSDP, IGMPv2 membership reports, HTTP and TCP traffic.

I bet in an hour or so, the box will report no internet and the network will be devoid of any traffic at all from the box - it's like it just stops talking. Link is still shown as up on box and switch, and I have tried multiple ports on the switch so it is not a switch problem Definitely an issue with the box.

What was the cause of your similar symptoms? 

If I conclude this is a hardware fault, I am really not looking forward to trying to convince the helpdesk that is the case without going around in circles for hours trying to explain what I have done (which, understandably, might not be in their wheelhouse) - any tips? Although, to be fair I would expect a hardware fault to manefest itself straight away, and not work 'for a while' unless it was heat related, which I don't think it is...

Mine seemed to be caused by some mis-step during the overnight reboot process where the Q mesh would fail to have the main box "own" the wifi / router connection and everything stopped being able to see the internet. Every night around 0245 it would disappear.

Never done it on ethernet. Suspect yours could be hardware related. I would diagnose for a few days by switching off the minis if possible and just using the Q.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion