Discussion topic: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

This message was authored by llansawel This message was authored by: llansawel

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

My main Sky Q box also heeps disconnecting from the network. A Sky engineer visited yesterday and swapped out the box , added a WiFi "booster" to improve connection to the two minis, and created a mesh network. I live in a large old Victorian Terrace so was skeptical it would work. Within an hour of him leaving the (new) main Sky  Q box disconnected from the network. After switching it on and off it reconnected. It's now disconnecting from the network and having to be switched on and off  every 4-6 hours..........................................

This message was authored by Quirk0 This message was authored by: Quirk0

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

Hi there,

Adding a booster won't create a MESH network. All a booster will do is boost the wifi signal. In my experience and opinion, wifi is not a suitable solution for Sky products to work correctly. The best way is to hardwire each box and turn off 5 and 2.5GHz. I wasn't able to use full copper (hardwire) direct from the router to the Sky boxes and had to install MESH nodes with RJ45 ports near each box and then hardwire from the node to the Sky box. This worked for me. It required me to buy a new MESH-capable router and nodes to overcome this frustration, but it's all still working. No reboots yet.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@llansawel wrote:

My main Sky Q box also heeps disconnecting from the network. A Sky engineer visited yesterday and swapped out the box , added a WiFi "booster" to improve connection to the two minis, and created a mesh network. I live in a large old Victorian Terrace so was skeptical it would work. Within an hour of him leaving the (new) main Sky  Q box disconnected from the network. After switching it on and off it reconnected. It's now disconnecting from the network and having to be switched on and off  every 4-6 hours..........................................

@llansawel who is your broadband provider ?

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Quirk0 This message was authored by: Quirk0

Currently, I utilise an EE 5G LTE router paired with a Vodafone 5G SIM. I have disabled the Wi-Fi functionality on this device and employ it solely as a modem to feed into the MESH router. Unfortunately, obtaining decent fibre-optic connectivity or cable infrastructure remains a challenge in my area. Nevertheless, the provider should not significantly impact the quality of the connection; reliability is paramount. The primary concern lies with Wi-Fi performance.

Consider downloading a Wi-Fi scanner for Android or iOS devices to assess which channels are predominantly used in the vicinity. This information may aid in identifying a less congested channel for your router. Despite conducting all recommended tests, the only effective solution I found was to cease reliance on Wi-Fi for my Sky Q. Disabling Wi-Fi on the Sky Q unit notably enhanced connectivity across all other devices utilising Wi-Fi. Although not conclusive, Sky Q and Wi-Fi compatibility appear to be not great.

This message was authored by llansawel This message was authored by: llansawel

Hi, Sky are my broadband provider. It's Sky "Superfast" as Fibre isn't available where I live. 

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@llansawel wrote:

Hi, Sky are my broadband provider. It's Sky "Superfast" as Fibre isn't available where I live. 

@llansawel when Sky is your broadband provider the router forms part of the Q mesh which all pieces of Q equipment join to including boosters so the mesh should be stronger. 

The problem as with any mesh system is if the property is big or walls are thick this can cause problems for the mesh adding another booster may improve the mesh but if you can either go ethernet which I understand is not always possible or if you can look at powerline adapters they may help

I live in a 3 bed semi with the an attic conversion and my broadband from Sky with a Q main box and 2 minis covers the whole  house but the ewalls etc are fairly thin.

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Quirk0 wrote:

Hi there,

Adding a booster won't create a MESH network. All a booster will do is boost the wifi signal. In my experience and opinion, wifi is not a suitable solution for Sky products to work correctly. The best way is to hardwire each box and turn off 5 and 2.5GHz. I wasn't able to use full copper (hardwire) direct from the router to the Sky boxes and had to install MESH nodes with RJ45 ports near each box and then hardwire from the node to the Sky box. This worked for me. It required me to buy a new MESH-capable router and nodes to overcome this frustration, but it's all still working. No reboots yet.

I agree with almost all of this

the Sky booster, Q and minis do form a kind of mesh.

and it's 2.4 not 2.5 😉

interested where the engineer situated the Booster relative to the router and Q for @llansawel 

This message was authored by Joe444 This message was authored by: Joe444

I recently had e fibre broadband installed with Eir - they were my provider of broadband also but not fibre , I never had any continual discinnection sky tv problems until i got the e fibre , it was also doing my head in both main sky box and bedroom q box kept disconnecting and reconnection process took about 10 minutes each day , I am not sure of coincidence or if this is the patch/fix , I have found if I leave both the main box and q box in standby mode (red light) when not in use / or at night , then when I switch them to live the connection has remained connected been like this for 4 or 5 days now so fingers crossed remains, as far as I am aware standby mode on the devices does no harm when not in use and is very minimal electrical usage/cost , hope this helps !

@Joe444 wrote:

I recently had e fibre broadband installed with Eir - they were my provider of broadband also but not fibre , I never had any continual discinnection sky tv problems until i got the e fibre , it was also doing my head in both main sky box and bedroom q box kept disconnecting and reconnection process took about 10 minutes each day , I am not sure of coincidence or if this is the patch/fix , I have found if I leave both the main box and q box in standby mode (red light) when not in use / or at night , then when I switch them to live the connection has remained connected been like this for 4 or 5 days now so fingers crossed remains, as far as I am aware standby mode on the devices does no harm when not in use and is very minimal electrical usage/cost , hope this helps !

I think this is probably the default most people do. If you power them down completely they can't do their nightly cleanup and update (when appropriate) cycle.

Interesting that this solved your problem. My box actually lost its connection, back when I had issues, every night during that process and didn't re-establish it properly. It then got even worse before I found a solution.

This message was authored by Joe444 This message was authored by: Joe444

• Agreed but a lot less painless to power dowm /plug out every 2 to 4 weeks rather than daily reconnecting lets hope sky will have a permanent solution soon

@Joe444 wrote:
  • Agreed but a lot less painless to power dowm /plug out every 2 to 4 weeks rather than daily reconnecting lets hope sky will have a permanent solution soon

Hi. I guess you mean "a lot less painful" but not sure who/what you're replying to?

This message was authored by Moo2ey This message was authored by: Moo2ey

I did have the same problems. Routinely the Wi-Fi connection on the Sky Q box would drop, anything from once a day to several times a day. Sky sent an engineer who replaced the Sky Q device, but the problem remained.

I have a Vodafone broadband connection with the Vodafone-supplied router. The internet itself is excellent and rarely disconnects. It's always the Wi-Fi connection that is disconnecting between the router and the Sky Q box.

I have tried using different routers and even Firewalls to provide the Wi-Fi but the issue remained. The Sky Q box is the only device that disconnects routinely. When working from home the Sky Q box might disconnect for the kids, but my laptop and phone don't for example.

To resolve this I have used the TP-Link AV1000 Powerline adapters which essentially provide a direct ethernet connection from the router to the Sky Q box. Setting this up has meant that the wi-fi connection is no longer in use so no longer a problem.

This message was authored by Rachael21466 This message was authored by: Rachael21466

We are (fingers crossed) finally sorted and the box hadn't disconnected for 2 weeks. I spoken to a sky engineer who talked me through changing settings etc and after an hour on the phone it was still happening. He advised to contact our broadband provider (Vodafone). Another hour on the phone again with Broadband engineer changing settings etc and they set up a guest connect to the broadband without the firewall. We also had a new router and up till now it seems to have worked 

This message was authored by Zed101 This message was authored by: Zed101

Touch wood (probably a co-incidence that I have just jinxed) I swapped from an 8 year old Samsung SMART tv to a new Sony SMART TV (Google TV based) and the issues with SKY seem gone .... for now..... am expecting them to return.

Am using the apps through the Android TV rather than the skybox but since switching TVs I have not had the issues between the main and mini boxes, like I say probably a coincidence but would be interested in seeing there was any correaltion between TV manufacturers and this issue. 

@Zed101 wrote:

Touch wood (probably a co-incidence that I have just jinxed) I swapped from an 8 year old Samsung SMART tv to a new Sony SMART TV (Google TV based) and the issues with SKY seem gone .... for now..... am expecting them to return.

Am using the apps through the Android TV rather than the skybox but since switching TVs I have not had the issues between the main and mini boxes, like I say probably a coincidence but would be interested in seeing there was any correaltion between TV manufacturers and this issue. 

Wow that's an unexpected one. I wonder if the Samsung was creating interference on the wifi frequency the Q was using??

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion