Discussion topic: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

This message was authored by CazzaMasonGrant This message was authored by: CazzaMasonGrant

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi

Our sky Q and sky mini constantly disconnect from the modem which is fibre at 48 mbps download and 25 mbps upload, intermittently it reconnects but most of the time we can't watch catch up or apps, sometimes the Sky mini disconnects from the main box. Can anyone give me a resolution or please get someone to help me as I'm loosing the will, I'm not technical so a lot of the suggestions in this thread is beyond me! May have to cancel d subscription! Why is this happening? Thanks

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CazzaMasonGrant wrote:

Our sky Q and sky mini constantly disconnect from the modem which is fibre at 48 mbps download and 25 mbps upload, intermittently it reconnects but most of the time we can't watch catch up or apps, sometimes the Sky mini disconnects from the main box. Can anyone give me a resolution or please get someone to help me as I'm loosing the will, I'm not technical so a lot of the suggestions in this thread is beyond me! May have to cancel d subscription! Why is this happening? Thanks

That's fibre to the cabinet, rather than to the premises presumably at that speed? Not that it should matter.

All I can suggest is reading up and asking specific questions if there are things you don't understand because nothing in here is particuarly technical and there is no easy "works for everyone" solution.

You could try using a tp-link RE200 wifi extender, either half way to the router or connected over an ethernet cable fron the Q box as two people have done that recently and both approaches seem to have worked. You have to sync it with your router first then connect the Q to it.

This message was authored by Mortimerician This message was authored by: Mortimerician

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

Funnily enough same thing happened to me.  Now looking to end my Sky subscriptions, too.

This message was authored by ElFlojo84 This message was authored by: ElFlojo84

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

I have exactly the same problem, switched from Sky to a different broadband provider and suddenly the box disconnects on a daily basis.

Really disheartening to come on this thread and find out this is a comon problem and Sky apparently have no interest in fixing it.

This message was authored by TomSussex This message was authored by: TomSussex

Often when I turn my box on it has forgotten my WiFi network (BT) and has defaulted to a sky WiFi network that doesn't exist. I have to reset network and connect to BT WiFi.

This appears to be a software or firmware issue which I'm sure they could resolve. 

@TomSussex wrote:

Often when I turn my box on it has forgotten my WiFi network (BT) and has defaulted to a sky WiFi network that doesn't exist. I have to reset network and connect to BT WiFi.

This appears to be a software or firmware issue which I'm sure they could resolve. 

The Sky network is some internal representation of the Q mesh I think.

I and others have posted many times possible workarounds/solutions.

This message was authored by TheDukeUK This message was authored by: TheDukeUK

Exactly the same issue. I come upstairs to watch the SkyQ Mini and blue screen cannot connect to SkyQ Main Box. Go downstairs and settings, Network and Status shows an unknown SKY connection. Reset it back to my BT SmartHub2 Full Fibre and its fine for a month or two. No idea what the cause is. Was fine last night and tonight my BT hub connection was gone again.

The mini is fine. As soon as I reset the network on the main box back to BT hub the mini automatically connects.

This message was authored by Mortimerician This message was authored by: Mortimerician

If that solution is plug it into ethernet and disable WiFi, it's not going to suit everyone's setup.  I get that it's a workaround of sorts but the thing is supposed to have WiFi functionality.

This message was authored by Zed101 This message was authored by: Zed101

Now my Netflix keeps crashing on the main box too.... I would look to change from SKY but the other options are more expensive and just as poor, the rubbish we get in the UK compared to elsewhere in the world is a joke

Netflix is better watched on your TV not rge Sky Box. According to the SkyQ manual you only HD from apps on SkyQ box, for 4k UHD you need to use apps on your TV

@TheDukeUK wrote:

Netflix is better watched on your TV not rge Sky Box. According to the SkyQ manual you only HD from apps on SkyQ box, for 4k UHD you need to use apps on your TV

Think that manual might be out of date.

But you don't get; DolbyVision, 24fps support, something else I forget.

The manual I downloaded as a PDF when we first got our 2T SkyQ UHD box in July 22. But looking at your help now it does look like the apps are 4k UHD now. 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/watching-sky-q-in-ultra-hd

Must admit I was a little miffed last year when I read to watch in 4k I had to use the TV apps. Many thanks for your reply.

This message was authored by kajay This message was authored by: kajay

I've had enough now. Constantly disconnecting from both sky q and mini box. Recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer, and I really haven't got the strength to keep unplugging and resetting the box. It constantly asks for the password too, even though it shouldn't. I just can't watch full Sky that I've paid for, and I'm paying for a service that isn't available to me, because of the constant disconnection of wifi. It's it looks like you haven't got an internet connection when I have! Every other device in my house is connected apart from Sky. How do I cancel my subscription? 

@kajay wrote:

I've had enough now. Constantly disconnecting from both sky q and mini box. Recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer, and I really haven't got the strength to keep unplugging and resetting the box. It constantly asks for the password too, even though it shouldn't. I just can't watch full Sky that I've paid for, and I'm paying for a service that isn't available to me, because of the constant disconnection of wifi. It's it looks like you haven't got an internet connection when I have! Every other device in my house is connected apart from Sky. How do I cancel my subscription? 

Very sorry to hear that, have a friend in the same situation. I've escalated this in case the online team can help you with the disconnects or to cancel but I suspect the latter needs a phone call. Watch out for a blue chat bubble.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent @Mortimerician an invite to chat.

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion