Discussion topic: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

This message was authored by Jojo1312 This message was authored by: Jojo1312

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

We have issue at similar times when watching anything on Apple, paramount or Netflix. Coincidentally only started after I requested to stop sky insurance cover . Having to reset each time. Makes you wonder eh?

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

"Makes you wonder eh?"

Not really. I will readily blame the Q's flakey networking ahead of any consipracy theory.

@fuzzilogic wrote:

I managed to ethernet both up using an eero mesh network config, and it's working fine now.

But this is definitely an issue Sky needs to sort out.

Q UDH box connected to wi-fi check

Connect Mini Box to wi-fi check

Q USH box disconnected from wi-fi and can't reconnect

Connect Mini Box to ethernet check

Q UDH box still can't connect

Both boxes via ethernet and it's fine.

Still not adequate, as I've to buy additional hardware now (powerline) to get this working ...

I assume UDH and USH in that are both supposed to say UHD, i.e. you mean the main Q box?

This message was authored by buzzzer This message was authored by: buzzzer

I thought this might be just a problem with my wifi router but never had a problem with my sky hd just upgraded to sky Q a week ago and the Q box disconnected as soon as the enginner drove out the street now struggling to keep a connection at all, loojs like i will have to go use eth cable.

@buzzzer wrote:

I thought this might be just a problem with my wifi router but never had a problem with my sky hd just upgraded to sky Q a week ago and the Q box disconnected as soon as the enginner drove out the street now struggling to keep a connection at all, loojs like i will have to go use eth cable.

I would if I were you

This message was authored by RSP This message was authored by: RSP

I am also experiencing this issue - other than plugging an Ethernet connection which will be difficult given where my router is, are there any other resolutions to the problem?

@RSP wrote:

I am also experiencing this issue - other than plugging an Ethernet connection which will be difficult given where my router is, are there any other resolutions to the problem?

when trying to fix Q, leave minis powered off. They can get in the way.

powerline

wifi mesh & plug Q into back of one node so it piggybacks Wifi but thinks it's just ethernet

This message was authored by Dooble This message was authored by: Dooble

It makes no difference.

I reset my mini box and plugged it directly in to my router, and I am still having issues.

I went to watch TV in the bedroom last night and it said I had no internet connectivity, and couldn't authenticate with the server, which was complete nonsense.

I had to go downstairs and switch the main box off & on, then go back upstairs and do the same thing. It's just rinse & repeat.

Sky engineers think that changing the box and changing cables will fix the issue, but no matter what you tell them, they still go ahead and do it, and the problems persist.

@Dooble wrote:

It makes no difference.

I reset my mini box and plugged it directly in to my router, and I am still having issues.

I went to watch TV in the bedroom last night and it said I had no internet connectivity, and couldn't authenticate with the server, which was complete nonsense.

I had to go downstairs and switch the main box off & on, then go back upstairs and do the same thing. It's just rinse & repeat.

Sky engineers think that changing the box and changing cables will fix the issue, but no matter what you tell them, they still go ahead and do it, and the problems persist.

They have no better idea than we do why this networking stack is so terrible.

when you say you connected the mini direct to the router, do you mean via wifi? What were you doing before?

This message was authored by Botto_oh This message was authored by: Botto_oh

Im having the exact same issue.....just after I dropped Sky as my internet provider. Its crazy! I cant believe sky do this to their customers. I have started actively warning friends and family to stay away from sky because of these kind of issues. It really is a shame. 

In summary, had sky broadband (ultrafast which gave the amazing speed of 22MBps....so Ive changed to BeFibre where now i get an average of 800MBps. However, since changing, the Sky Q box and the Sky Q mini stop connecting to the internet. Ill enter the Wifi password, but then after 5-10 minutes, it looses connection. I never had this issue when I had the Sky router and broadband. I personally feel its a ploy to push customers like me to stay within their ecosystem, however I will do the opposite and ditch Sky completely and tell people to stay away! 

This message was authored by wakey18 This message was authored by: wakey18

I have always had this problem, I've never had Sky Broadband. I installed ethernet cable to all the boxes and still, it pops up stating there's no internet or it cannot find the main box every so often.

@wakey18 wrote:

I have always had this problem, I've never had Sky Broadband. I installed ethernet cable to all the boxes and still, it pops up stating there's no internet or it cannot find the main box every so often.

Did you disable wifi on all the boxes?

This message was authored by jarradrose This message was authored by: jarradrose

Totally agree... Every day now having to reconnect mini box to sky Q and main box continuously losing WiFi connection. Starting to think I won't be paying all these hundreds of pounds a month anymore after 2 decades

@jarradrose wrote:

Totally agree... Every day now having to reconnect mini box to sky Q and main box continuously losing WiFi connection. Starting to think I won't be paying all these hundreds of pounds a month anymore after 2 decades

I would have cancelled by now if I was still having the problems I had 2 years back.

This message was authored by Botto_oh This message was authored by: Botto_oh

I've managed to find a work around....get rid of the sky mini. Since I've disconnected this, I've had no issues with my main sky q box. Hope this helps 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion