Discussion topic: Temporary loss of video signal

This message was authored by Kimoigoibipbu This message was authored by: Kimoigoibipbu

Temporary loss of video signal

I have a brand new TV (LG OLED55G46LS 55) and a Sky Q box. When connected to Sky Q the TV screen occasionally goes black for about half a second, which is infuriating.  The sound is maintained.  This can happen several times at random during an evening and occurs when watching  both live view and recorded programmes. It also occurs when the "live pause" is used. It is not reproducable and replaying the same affected part of a recorded programme does not demonstrate  the same fault. I tried a full SkyQ box reset and software update several times,  without improvement.  I have replaced the HDM cable (-twice) with new shorter high speed versions, but no change. I also tried each of the four available HDMI inputs to the TV  - again no change. I have also carried out a full reset on the TV several times.  You might think at this point that the TV could equally be suspect, however when watching oprogrammes via the aerial or via the broadband directly the fault ENTIRELY disappears. I contacted LG who said they did not recognise this fault, but they didn't think that the TV was in any way faulty - and given that all inputs other than SKY Q  are working perfectly that does seem to be entirely  logical to me. Anyhow, a Sky engineer has since attended at my request. and when I decribed the fault and without even looking at my  setup he immedately said that there was "an issue" when using Sky Q with LG TVs.  Even more remarkably he told me that he had exactly the same problem with his own setup at home. He offered no solution. He changed my Sky Q box anyway, but there has been no improvement at all. What am I missing? Is there indeed a know issue here and how can it be resolved please? Thanks.

Best Answers
Kimoigoibipbu
Topic Author
This message was authored by Kimoigoibipbu This message was authored by: Kimoigoibipbu Answer

Re: Temporary loss of video signal

My thanks to both users for their advice. Sorry for the delay in replying as I have been investigating further and this fault is very random and can take several hours to occur. First point is that lowering the  video resolultion was a resonable idea to try, but unfortunately it didn't help. However, playing a different device (XBox) through the HDMI ports for what turned out to be  a few hours showed the same fault eventually occuring.  Conclusion is that this is indeed a fault with the Brand new LG TV and nothing to do with the Sky Q system, and I will be asking LG to fix it under warranty.

Thanks for your help!

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Kimoigoibipbu 

Just a couple of observations.

1. You say that Terrestrial and Internet content is OK on the LG.   However neither of these has any connection via the TV HDMI inputs and so it does not rule out a fault on the LG.  Could be a fault on the LG HDMI board.  To rule this out you would need to try another HDMI device on the TV.   If you have done this you haven't mentioned it.
  2. Have you tried all the Resolution settings on the Q box.   Ie  1080i - 1080p - 2160p 10 bit - 2160 8 bit.   Just to test if the issue is with a specific resolution?
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Lower res also reduces the load on the input electronics so might well reduce or eliminate the problem.

Kind of bizarre that the LG support people considered testing zero alternative HDMI sources as evidence there was nothing wrong with the TV. Did you use UHD on your previous screen?

Kimoigoibipbu
Topic Author
This message was authored by Kimoigoibipbu This message was authored by: Kimoigoibipbu Answer

My thanks to both users for their advice. Sorry for the delay in replying as I have been investigating further and this fault is very random and can take several hours to occur. First point is that lowering the  video resolultion was a resonable idea to try, but unfortunately it didn't help. However, playing a different device (XBox) through the HDMI ports for what turned out to be  a few hours showed the same fault eventually occuring.  Conclusion is that this is indeed a fault with the Brand new LG TV and nothing to do with the Sky Q system, and I will be asking LG to fix it under warranty.

Thanks for your help!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion