Discussion topic: TV displays Invalid Format when watching Sky Q

This message was authored by greenandroid This message was authored by: greenandroid

TV displays Invalid Format when watching Sky Q

I've just had my Sky Q box upgraded, for the sum of £50. However since it arrived my TV regularly displays Invalid Format, this is triggered when changing channels on Sky.

I could be watching BBC 1 and then use the remote to move through the channels, then the screen goes blank and Invalid Format appears. LG explain that this means the tv is receiving a resolution it can't show. But the Sky box is setup exactly the same as my V1 box; 2160p at 10 bit. I've never seen this error message on my TV prior to having this Sky Q box.

Any suggestions? Thanks

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

Re: TV displays Invalid Format when watching Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@greenandroid

Are you using the same HDMI cable? Is it the one that came with the box, with the pink end?

Also are you definitely plugged into the same HDMI socket as previously - because of you're on a different HDMI input where you haven't activated HDMI Deep Color on your LG, it won't recognise the 2160p.

greenandroid
Topic Author
This message was authored by greenandroid This message was authored by: greenandroid

It was happening with the original Sky HDMI cable, I tried another which also suffered the same problem.

Sky Q is connected to an AV amp, same input socket as the previous box.  I've also watched UHD programmes on sky with HDR so that side of things is fine

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@greenandroid are you sure the message is being generated by the TV rather than by the AV amp?

The main difference between the V1 and V2 or V3 boxes is support for HDR specifically HLG which only recent amps support out of the box. Depending on the age of the amp it may require a firmware upgrade to support HLG but you may need to connect the Q box directly to the TV and use the ARC to get the sound to the amp to avoid the issue.

Not sure why it only happens when you flick through channels but presumably that will cause the Q box and amp to exchange E-EDID messages which show up a mismatch.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
greenandroid
Topic Author

Hello.

I've been able to watch HDR content through D+, I don't have Netflix with HDR yet, but I've just played an episode of Bullet Proof series 2 and HLG HDR popped up on screen, so no problems there.

It only happens, occasionally, when I move through channels. Worth adding the other 'issue' I never had on my previous box was occasional audio drop outs. Just for a second the sound stops, no picture issue, just sound.

Its irritating simply because my original box had none of these occasional glitches, so it seems I gain HDR but have to put up with other problems. I posted here wondering if others had experienced this. My TV is a 2016 LG OLED. 

Thanks again

This message was authored by NewtonBoy This message was authored by: NewtonBoy

I get this occasionally with my LG, but only when switching the Q box and TV on.   I just turn the TV off and on again and it normally sorts it out, first time.   Sometimes, it takes a couple of off/ons.

This message was authored by whothrowthat This message was authored by: whothrowthat

same issue here i have a LG old E6V only when in 2016p uhd hdr mode etc but i also have an screen message saying invalad format and some times you are not connected to a 2.2 device only since i had the upgrade HDR sky q Box before that no issues, all sky could say was set your box to 1080p and it will be ok !! told me to test to see if the issues had gone and return to them to them to which i repeated myself again i only get the issue when using 2160p uhd etc 

when i first put the hdr box all was fine and worked well but the more i used it the worse it got i have requested the previous version pre HDR box returning as wil be a long time beofre they fix the previos box had the sound issue but they fixed that with a software upgadre but that took many months to fix from what i can rememeber cant see the point of sky help as they have no idea how to fix 

This message was authored by whothrowthat This message was authored by: whothrowthat

New skyq hdr box arrived and its just the same ramdon diplays invlaid format in 2160p when in 1080p etc its ok very strange...so far sound not cutting out at ramdom shoort intervills like the last skq hdr box 

after another new skq hdr box the sound has again started to cut at ramdom intervils

This message was authored by matty147 This message was authored by: matty147

I'm currently having these issues. When I try watching either Netflix or Disney plus through sky invalid format comes on. I unplugged the sky box plugged it back in and Netflix come on but the next day it was back to invalid format. Was ok with the non hdr box. 

sound drop outs seemed to have gone after 6 months done nothing my end and the hdr q box has not been updated still get the invlaid format message on LG oled e6V

This message was authored by Macra This message was authored by: Macra

Hi Greenandriod

I have recently updated to the latest Sky Q box version 32B206 (Software Q140.000.37.00L) a month ago to enable viewing of HDR content.
I am unable to select and play 4K HLD and Netflix HDR programs from Sky Q box via my Arcam AV850 without the screen locking up displaying the message “invalid format”.
The only solution I have found is by toggling between another HDMI input and returning to the Sky input the program eventually becomes available to view but this can take up to 6 attempts.
I also own an Apple 4K TV box that works ok with both video and audio via AV850 in HDR HD10 using Netflix.
Going HDMI direct from Sky Q into 2016 LG OLED55E6V TV has no problem with recognising and displaying any of the HDR formats.
I have tried various versions of HDMI cables, tried replacing HDMI cables with Antiference premium certified cables the problem remained.

Normal cable I use is Audioquest cinnamon I have a 3-metre length from Sky Q to Arcam AV850 and a 5-metre length from AV850 to LG OLED55E6V.

When the cable is joined by HDMI cable joiner not going into Arcam AV850 all signals play without any invalid display lockup.

Test programs used Sky Q Gang of Lemurs & The Crown Netflix.
I contacted Arcam and discussed the problem with them and following this: -
Updated AV850 software from V4.31 to V7.1.
Removed all other HDMI inputs other than Sky Q but this shows no improvement.
Checked I had no zone 2 output used.

Suspect problem with Sky Q HDMI output and AV amp but have run out of ideas to try.

Q15 software still showing invalid format every so often on LG 65e6v tv

onQ15 sound drops outs are back

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion