Discussion topic: Switching from Sky Q to LG OLED 55 C24

This message was authored by mirdragon This message was authored by: mirdragon

Switching from Sky Q to LG OLED 55 C24

When my contract runs out, I'm looking at ditching Sky Q. My TV supports Freesat but will I need to change my Sky Q LNB for a different model.

I've plugged one of the cables in and it's done a scan, it lists over 130 TV channels and can get the egp, but every channel reports 'invalid signal' which makes me think I would need a different LNB. The TV only accepts one cable.

I can't find anything within LG documents and their phone support wasn't that good.

If I need a separate LNB do I need a specific one? Could I move cable and wire into my old LNB on my other dish (Sky never seem to take older dishes down and just put up new dishes.)

Zen Internet: G.Fast (330/50)|OpnSense + Deco X50
Mobile: Samsung S20 FE 5G 256GB|Samsung Tab S6
TV: LG OLED55C24LA|SkyQ HDR 2TB + Minis|2xHDHR Quatro
AVR: Marantz NR1711
Streaming Devices: Xbox Series X|Apple 4K TV|Fire TV Cube|Shield TV Pro|Roku 3

Best Answers
This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey Answer

Re: Switching from Sky Q to LG OLED 55 C24

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mirdragon wrote:

When my contract runs out, I'm looking at ditching Sky Q. My TV supports Freesat but will I need to change my Sky Q LNB for a different model.  YES

I've plugged one of the cables in and it's done a scan, it lists over 130 TV channels and can get the egp, but every channel reports 'invalid signal' which makes me think I would need a different LNB. The TV only accepts one cable. You would need to change the Sky Q WIDEBAND LNB for a Legacy UNIVERSAL LNB

If I need a separate LNB do I need a specific one? Could I move cable and wire into my old LNB on my other dish. YES

You will need to feed your Freesat TV from a Legacy UNIVERSAL LNB, and there is a strong possibility that this is the type of LNB was fitted to your old satellite dish.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey Answer

@mirdragon wrote:

When my contract runs out, I'm looking at ditching Sky Q. My TV supports Freesat but will I need to change my Sky Q LNB for a different model.  YES

I've plugged one of the cables in and it's done a scan, it lists over 130 TV channels and can get the egp, but every channel reports 'invalid signal' which makes me think I would need a different LNB. The TV only accepts one cable. You would need to change the Sky Q WIDEBAND LNB for a Legacy UNIVERSAL LNB

If I need a separate LNB do I need a specific one? Could I move cable and wire into my old LNB on my other dish. YES

You will need to feed your Freesat TV from a Legacy UNIVERSAL LNB, and there is a strong possibility that this is the type of LNB was fitted to your old satellite dish.

mirdragon
Topic Author
This message was authored by mirdragon This message was authored by: mirdragon

Thanks for that, I had a feeling that would be the case, but would it be same if I decided to get a Freesat box instead? Don't the newer ones works with Sky Q LNB?

Zen Internet: G.Fast (330/50)|OpnSense + Deco X50
Mobile: Samsung S20 FE 5G 256GB|Samsung Tab S6
TV: LG OLED55C24LA|SkyQ HDR 2TB + Minis|2xHDHR Quatro
AVR: Marantz NR1711
Streaming Devices: Xbox Series X|Apple 4K TV|Fire TV Cube|Shield TV Pro|Roku 3
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@mirdragon wrote:

Don't the newer ones works with Sky Q LNB?

The 'Freesat 4K' branded boxes do. 

Unfortunately manufacturers are still fitting older (and presumably cheaper) satellite tuner components even into 'premium' range television sets and so these can't get a Freesat signal through a Q LNB.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion